"In the year I was born" GB Chat

1 hour ago, Beazer said:

I think the only thing I could make is an A-10 warthog.  They were still making the last ones I believe in ‘84.

You're making this harder for yourself than it needs to be, there just has to be a link to the year you were born.

My subject first flew a few days before my birthday in 1964 but it would've only worn national markings, serials and stencils, no squadron markings, I'm therefore planning to build it as it appeared in 1987.

Look for something that you can definitely pin on 1984.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hubba said:

Hi, can I join in please, another 1963 I'm afraid and I'd like to build the Takom FV432 APC if I can get hold of one. I always fancied having a go at the interior, it looks a very nice kit to build

Of course you can Hubba. I'll put you down in the first post as #76 (I think).  We'll look forward to seeing your 63 APC

To be honest, I'm having so much fun within the 'almost started' Classic Frog kit GB, that I've almost forgotten about this one!!  

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1

Looks like I'll have a nice choice of kits, but a mediocre choice of subjects as I'm probably one of the youngest members on this site...

I'll be representing 2003 (why am I in this so early I'll have no lungs by 25...)

I could do a Concorde as her last flight was that year.... I could go one step further and model the Il76 that opened up her cargo door while full of passengers on the *day* that I was born....

I could build a kit released in that year, so I'd have some fairly good, but not brilliant, toolings to work with...

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Thanks 1

Apologies for the somewhat late delay getting back to you @Adam Poultney, I've been so engrossed over on the FROG Squad GB pages that I've neglected everything else. Great to have you along for someone so young. I'm sure one of the US vs. Iraqi operations was in full swing that year, so that could provide a wealth of subjects to possibly model. Either way, I'll have to switch over to this GB whilst the Frog bashing is still going on, so that will take some doing as these Classic kit GB's always tend to attract huge interest. 

Cheers and thanks. Dave. 

• Like 1

On 31/05/2019 at 03:25, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Anyone have any ideas for 1971

Indo-Pakistan war,   72nd decals sheet as it shows the possibilities

31.jpg

and there are also options from 'The war of attrition'  the occasional aerial clashes between Israel and the Arab states, with plenty of camouflaged MiG, as well as Jordanian and Iraqi Hunters...

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I originally said I might do a Shackleton but I've changed my mind. Mine is going to be a tribute to Lt. Victor Kovaleski and his two, decidedly mixed, claims to fame from January 1973, 6 months before I was born.

Kovaleski was a Phantom pilot with VF-161 flying F-4B's from USS Midway at the tail end of the Vietnam War. On 12 January 1973 Kovaleski and Lt. James Wise in F-4B 153045 shot down a Vietnamese MiG-17 - this was the last US air combat victory of the Vietnam War. Two days later on 14 January 1973 Kovaleski and Ensign D.H.Plautz were less fortunate - they were flying F-4B 153068 when it was hit by 85mm anti-aircraft fire, causing a fuel leak. The crew ejected safely and both were rescued, and 153068 (which was also a MiG killer, having shot down a MiG-19 in 1972, but flown by a different crew that day) was the last US aircraft lost to enemy action in the Vietnam War.

I think the more fitting tribute to Kovaleski would be to build 153045 rather than 153068. I'll use the Academy 1/48 kit and Furball decals (which actually cover both aircraft), both of which I still need to buy!

This is starting to look like a bit of a US cold-war jets period for me. Recently completed an A-4, currently working on an F-101 and F-105, planning an F-104, and also planning to build Phantoms in this GB, 80s Front-line Asia (an Iranian RF-4E), and the Phantom STGB (either an F-4G or an F-4E).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zebra said:

This is starting to look like a bit of a US cold-war jets period for me. Recently completed an A-4, currently working on an F-101 and F-105, planning an F-104, and also planning to build Phantoms in this GB, 80s Front-line Asia (an Iranian RF-4E), and the Phantom STGB (either an F-4G or an F-4E).

The best era in my humble opinion.  :thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, FPDPenguin said:

Any ideas for 1986?

Wikipedia has lists of aviation events for each year - have a look here for 1986: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_in_aviation

Apart from Challenger and El Dorado Canyon, the things that would appeal to me on that list include the first flight of the Rafale, AH-64 and An-124 entered service, Iran-Iraq war was ongoing, a MiG-28 from Top Gun (released that year), last ever flight by a B-47, Rutan Voyager's round the world flight, a Lynx broke the world speed record for helicopters, and I'd consider a Dassault aircraft as a tribute to Marcel Dassault who died that year. Pretty good year, shame I wasn't born in '86!

• Like 5

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 03:25, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Anyone have any ideas for 1971 ?

Hi Dennis

The USMC took delivery of their first AV8 harriers in '71

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Hi Dennis

The USMC took delivery of their first AV8 harriers in '71

Ian

That was one i had been considering. Hopefully i can find a good AV-8A kit. If i can find the Airfix one or maybe the Hasegawa. I do like some of the Indo-Pakistani ideas that Troy suggested ? A Mig-19, Canberra, or the Jordanian F-104A in camouflage would be good options also. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zebra said:

Wikipedia has lists of aviation events for each year - have a look here for 1986: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_in_aviation

Apart from Challenger and El Dorado Canyon, the things that would appeal to me on that list include the first flight of the Rafale, AH-64 and An-124 entered service, Iran-Iraq war was ongoing, a MiG-28 from Top Gun (released that year), last ever flight by a B-47, Rutan Voyager's round the world flight, a Lynx broke the world speed record for helicopters, and I'd consider a Dassault aircraft as a tribute to Marcel Dassault who died that year. Pretty good year, shame I wasn't born in '86!

I've got some ebay bids that need to run the course, then I think I'll go for the rafale. Cheers

46 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That was one i had been considering. Hopefully i can find a good AV-8A kit. If i can find the Airfix one or maybe the Hasegawa. I do like some of the Indo-Pakistani ideas that Troy suggested ? A Mig-19, Canberra, or the Jordanian F-104A in camouflage would be good options also. 

Don’t forget the Esci / Italeri AV8A as well Dennis, still a serviceable kit even by today’s standards. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

FPD if you are going to do the Rafale you need to get the Heller 48th kit from the early 90's as that was a prototype the Revell kits in 48th are Production a/c which are total diffrent to the prototype a/c from 1986. In 72nd i cant remember who did the prototype a/c with out looking it up.

Paul

16 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Try to locate a Jo-Han kit of the Sox&Martin Plymouth Cuda Pro Stocker. Mean machine. V-P

Thanks VP I thought about that as well. Since I came back to modeling in 2014, my record stands at 1.5 cars. I built a 1970 1/2 Camaro for Swmbo (her favorite car). It took me 6 months to build it. I also have a partial started 69 Mustang one of my Favorite's. For some unknown reason I just can't get motivated for car kits anymore. 

Dennis

I built only car kits in my teen years until I was 8-teen, got my driver's license and realized I'd probably never get my hands on a kool kustom or a radical rod, you see, I was in one of the last waves of post American Graffiti and Grease kids listening to -50's rock'n'roll, rockabilly and their early -80's successors, slapped some bass myself too 😎 <-, see those Wayfarers?!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kits arrived, put me down for HMS Exeter, 1/700 the Dragon kit. I'll be depicting her as She was in '82.

I may still get a Sea Harrier FRS1, just got to find one at a good price.

Can't wait to start this now! Roll on August!

Geoff 

• Like 3

IF (and that's a big IF) I have the time and am able to complete the other group builds I'm committed to, I'll add a VF-74 or VF-103 F-14 from their 1985 cruise (whichever one I can find decals for) that encompassed the "Achille Lauro/ Egyptian Air flight" incidents. 

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Kits arrived, put me down for HMS Exeter, 1/700 the Dragon kit. I'll be depicting her as She was in '82.

I may still get a Sea Harrier FRS1, just got to find one at a good price.

Can't wait to start this now! Roll on August!

Geoff 

Thanks Geoff, can you enlighten me on the link between 1978 and HMS Exeter, my vessel knowledge is not that great! 

This GB 'tis only one month from now, best get some Frog builds out of the way! 

Cheers.. Dave