"In the year I was born" GB Chat

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

As there is no entry for my year yet, I'm tempted to get my Airfix 1/48 Javelin out of the stash and celebrate its maiden flight - will make a firm decision nearer the time depending on whether I complete my Lockheed and F-4 Group Builds.

All good @FortyEighter, I probably should make a list of all the missing years and do a quick shout out for new members to fill them. I'll see how my days goes today whilst it's in my head. I understand your decision to decide closer to the time, I'm sure your not the only one with too many GB commitments for the year. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

I just received this excellent PM from @Fatboydim, thanks so much Joe... this has saved me some time!

So here is a shout out for anyone born in the following years and would like to honour their (YOB) Year of Borth in model form.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Dave.

just had a quick look to see the missing years in the GB.

The first year is 1944, and the last 1989.

The missing years are as follows,

45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 

51, 52, 

72, 74, 75,

84, 86, 87, 88. 

Hope this helps, regards, Joe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I just received this excellent PM from @Fatboydim, thanks so much Joe... this has saved me some time!

So here is a shout out for anyone born in the following years and would like to honour their (YOB) Year of Borth in model form.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Dave.

just had a quick look to see the missing years in the GB.

The first year is 1944, and the last 1989.

45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 

51, 52, 

72, 74, 75,

84, 86, 87, 88. 

Hope this helps, regards, Joe. 

Between 1951-1971 each year is represented. What does that tell about the significance of plastic modelling in our childhood in the sixties, seventies and eighties :thumbsup:.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Between 1951-1971 each year is represented. What does that tell about the significance of plastic modelling in our childhood in the sixties, seventies and eighties :thumbsup:.

True V.P, however now looking back at my childhood I can honestly say that as a fifteen year old in 1985, there were probably no more than three of us building models in my school class and that was pretty high compared to some other classes. I think it was the generation before that (our fathers) that were responsible for the boom that followed. What is obvious is that my generation of parenting may have been outflanked by technology, gaming, you tube and all that the wonderful stuff that the interweb has given us. I don't think it's fair to knock technology though, as there are probably many folk on here who have returned to this hobby after viewing the excellent builds and research material that websites like Britmodeller provide. 

Chees.. Dave 

• Like 2

True; hitting the 15 year mark two years before you Dave, the model industry was indeed in dire straits already. Frog gone, Matchbox going, Airfix/Heller/Humbrol barely hanging on, AMT, MPC and Jo-Han buried or living on a lend-lease extension... Maybe we shouldn't call eighties belonging in the golden age of our hobby? 

Nah let's cut talking and continue just building those kits! Today's the true golden age! V-P

• Like 2

1963 (aged eight) was the year I was introduced into scale modelling. I know it was that year because I was at a school fete with my family. My parents had entered us into the fancy dress competition. I was dressed as Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space, and my sister was dressed as the first woman in space, Valentina Tereshkova who had just returned from her mission. 

But it's not that that I remember so well, it was what my parents bought me at one of the stalls. Amongst the bric a brac there were three plastic models. I'm absolutely sure one was a B-47. One might have been a  X-3 Stiletto, the third I'm at a loss, all I know is that it was a jet of some description. These were assembled, unpainted and without markings. I've looked on Scalemates since to see if I could identify the manufacturers. The B-47 could have been made by Revell, Aurora, or possibly Frog. The X-3 Stiletto could have been a Revell kit. I will never know for sure. I remember all this so well because that was moment in time that got me started in my life long interest in scale modelling.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:49 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 

51, 52, 

You have kindly allowed my Cutty Sark for 1952 (posts 260 & 261) so that year bas been taken. As that kit is only 22 parts (yes it's an Aldi buy) I will select a more substantive entry nearer the date.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 5:23 PM, Paul821 said:

You have kindly allowed my Cutty Sark for 1952 (posts 260 & 261) so that year bas been taken. As that kit is only 22 parts (yes it's an Aldi buy) I will select a more substantive entry nearer the date.

So, I'll make my Javelin a definite entry - which now gives an entry for 1951 and clears that decade.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

So, I'll make my Javelin a definite entry - which now gives an entry for 1951 and clears that decade.

Most Excellent @FortyEighter. You are now #72 in the long list of interested BM GB members.

Could we possibly get to 100 before August??

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, monsjmse said:

The postman has been and I'm ready to go!

When do we start again? I'm going to have to stick it on the shelf and try to resist until August :angel:

Mark.

Mark,

That Lotus 79 is gonna look fantastic, although I'm afraid that this GB starts on the 3rd of August, which is only 160 days from today accordng to my calender!

Pity your not a few years older as time starts to go by even quicker (or so they say!!).

Cheers and good get.. Dave  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, milktrip said:

Hi , can I join?  1984.

maybe a Ferrari Testarossa? :hmmm:

cheers

Aaron

Of course you can Aaron, and what a great suggestion from 1984!

Although I'm a model aircraft nut, it's nice to see a great collection of 'other' modelling subjects being considered for this GB.  

I've placed your name in the OP as #73.

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Rogue705 said:

@Rabbit Leader Put me down for '66 please. Dont have a model in mind, yet 🙂

@Rabbit Leader Put me down for the BTR-60PB. According to http://www.military-today.com "The BTR-60PB armored personnel carrier is a further development of the previous BTR-60PA. This APC was produced in large numbers. Its production commenced in 1966 and ceased in 1976. TY 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rogue705 said:

@Rabbit Leader Put me down for '66 please. Dont have a model in mind, yet 🙂

Thanks for your interest Roger, I’ll properly add your name down to the list when I next get back onto my desktop (it’s not as easy to do on the iPhone). 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was born in July 1958 and I would like to mark the 1958 Taiwan Strait Crisis which erupted just a month later.

From Wiki: "The Second Taiwan Strait Crisis, also called the 1958 Taiwan Strait Crisis, was a conflict that took place between the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of China (ROC). In this conflict, the PRC shelled the islands of Kinmen and the Matsu Islands along the east coast of mainland China (in the Taiwan Strait) to "liberate" Taiwan from the Chinese Nationalist Party, also known as the Kuomintang (KMT); and to probe the extent of the United States defense of Taiwan's territory."

The U.S. Air Force deployed several aircraft types to the area to support Taiwan and this included the brand shiny new Lockheed F-104A Starfighter operated by the 83rd FIS who had been based at Hamilton AFB in California and the first Air Defence Command operator of the type. Less well known is that the U.S, Navy operated the brand new Vought F8U-1 Crusader, this was flown by VF-154 aboard USS Hancock and had major problems with the type whilst there.

My entry will be either an F-104A or an F8U-1 in 1/48th scale.

Michael

• Like 2

Thanks for your nomination @Ghostbase and either of these two choices will make very interesting historical modelling subjects.

I'm sure we can all learn something new from these often forgotten 'flashpoints' so well done from choosing something a little different.

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I've made my choice.  Not only is it from the year that I was born, but it happened on the day before I was born.

That counts for double points Enzo!! I don’t believe I have your name listed within the OP, do you want to let us know now or just keep us all in suspense until this GB starts? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Well, I was born on 6 May 1961.  Incidentally, the same day as George Clooney.   I'm quite envious of his fame and fortune but it's all swings and roundabouts. I have it on good authority that he is envious of my good looks and boyish charm. :smartass:

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Well, I was born on 6 May 1961.  Incidentally, the same day as George Clooney.   I'm quite envious of his fame and fortune but it's all swings and roundabouts. I have it on good authority that he is envious of my good looks and boyish charm. 

So you’re gonna build a baby George Clooney then are ya Enzo?? 

Well done champ, you're down as GB member #75! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Well, I was born on 6 May 1961.  Incidentally, the same day as George Clooney.   I'm quite envious of his fame and fortune but it's all swings and roundabouts. I have it on good authority that he is envious of my good looks and boyish charm. :smartass:

What a coincidence, I was born on the same day as the actor Heintje Simons. 

I don't think he would be envious of me being short, fat and ugly. 😜

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, can I join in please, another 1963 I'm afraid and I'd like to build the Takom FV432 APC if I can get hold of one. I always fancied having a go at the interior, it looks a very nice kit to build

• Like 1