"In the year I was born" GB Chat

1955 saw the first flight of the Fairey Ultralight Helicopter and the Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer. I've both in the stash and although the Twin Pioneer is resin I'm leaning towards it as my dad worked for Scottish Aviation from '55 to '58 and so there's a clear family link there. So count me in. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2018 at 4:05 AM, HansReggelsen said:

OK - I've done thinking about what I will be building for this GB :hmmm::

50f00ee5-63d2-4d22-8144-a63a913dd687.jpg

The year was 1962, the kit is the 1/72 Italeri B-58 and the decals are from Caracal! :thumbsup:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

The Hustler is one of those shapes that certainly stands out and mimics those low, wide and sexy cars or the same era. This will be a great edition Han... I love it!

On 1/4/2019 at 5:54 AM, 825 said:

1955 saw the first flight of the Fairey Ultralight Helicopter and the Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer. I've both in the stash and although the Twin Pioneer is resin I'm leaning towards it as my dad worked for Scottish Aviation from '55 to '58 and so there's a clear family link there. So count me in. 

A most excellent choice 825, certainly something iconic from the year that you were born with a great family connection as well. A resin kit as well to make us all marvel at your modelling abilities. 

Cheers... Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, the South African said:

I might pop in with something from Afganistan or maybe the Iran Iraq conflict. It will however probably end up being only a figure or some such. 

Regards:

Shaun 

So is that 1980 Shaun? Should I pop your name down then, those choices are quite enticing! 

Cheers.. Dave 

I’d like to join also with either a dassault mirage f1 or a sepecat jaguar both of which entered service in 1973 (in france).

only problem is the 1/48 options of all present and past kits for both these aircraft are pretty old or badly received, unless kinetic release their mirage before the group build. 🤔

• Thanks 1

Any room for one more? 1978 for me, looking at possibly doing HMS Exeter Type 42 which was launched that year. 

Or I could be tempted with a Sea Harrier or an AV 8B II, both took their first flights that year. Or a F16, decisions, decisions!

Who knew so much happened in the year we were born? Superb idea for a GB, with a massive scope! Will be my first one, looking forward to it!

Geoff

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2019 at 8:59 AM, Dansk said:

I’d like to join also with either a dassault mirage f1 or a sepecat jaguar both of which entered service in 1973 (in france).

only problem is the 1/48 options of all present and past kits for both these aircraft are pretty old or badly received, unless kinetic release their mirage before the group build. 🤔

@Dansk, #67

Great to have you on board and I do like both your French choices to represent 1973. Hopefully you can scrape either one of the 1/48 scale kits together to your liking.There's always the 1/72 Hasegawa Jaguar and Special Hobby Mitage F.1's however suspect that your a 1/48 scale modeller at heart. Hopefully you can chip in with one of these lovely French ladies. 

On 1/19/2019 at 9:13 PM, Bugle07 said:

Any room for one more? 1978 for me, looking at possibly doing HMS Exeter Type 42 which was launched that year. 

Or I could be tempted with a Sea Harrier or an AV 8B II, both took their first flights that year. Or a F16, decisions, decisions!

Who knew so much happened in the year we were born? Superb idea for a GB, with a massive scope! Will be my first one, looking forward to it!

Geoff

@Bugle07, #68

Of course there's room, especially when your choices for 1978 all look quite good. To be honest, I can't recommend any particular subject there, so perhaps take the easy option and choice more than one! Welcome aboard Geoff, it should be fun. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

OK everyone... just found this whilst looking for aviation related ideas for the year that I was born (1970). 

It's a Wikipedia link titled "Timeline of Aviation" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_aviation

Now I do apologise for targeting just Aviation themes, however suspect that theres probably something like this for all types of potential modelling subjects, not just mundane planes! Anyway, I'll be taking a closer look at my year which at a glance appears to favour something new called "Hi-Jaking"!

Cheers and nice to see new members are still being attracted to this GB idea... Dave   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There appear to by 5 GB's this year which interest me, but they all start in the first 6 months, therefore I feel able to sign up to the year...

I may offer something more substantive later in the year but I just want to check the eligibility of this 

DSC00791

purchased in Aldi for £3.99. The kit was first issued in 1955 one year after the actual  went on display in Greenwich. Neither of which were the year I was born. But the Airfix instructions state "In 1952 the Cutty Sark Preservation Society was formed" 1952 being the year I was born.

Unfortunately Wikipedia states the society was founded in 1951! So it will up to @Rabbit Leader  to judge if the Airfix Instruction sheet notes as justification to allow this entry. If so add me to the list.

• Like 1

@Paul821

Somehow there's a loose link there, so for the sake of encouraging members to participate and not getting too bogged down in semantics, I think we'll let this one through. Please fell free to watch the famous newsreels for 1952, which If recall correctly there's quite a good one about that years Farnborough Airshow. Hopefully that might encourage your a little further. 

Cheers and I'll update the list properly when I'm next on my desktop... Dave 

Edit - this has got me thinking, perhaps we can have a "In the year I was conceived" GB next year so that we can build all those great subjects that don't qualify this time round? Now unless you're an elephant, post September babies need not apply! 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having a nose around the internet, as you do, I find that on August 31 1956 The Avro Vulcan entered service with No. 83 Squadron RAF.

Meanwhile, in a maternity Ward in St Mary Abbots Hospital, London, I turned up!

It looks like an Airfix Vulcan is the logical choice for me then. 😁  If I can post the finished model on the 31st of August I will be delighted.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 12:35 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

OK everyone... just found this whilst looking for aviation related ideas for the year that I was born (1970). 

It's a Wikipedia link titled "Timeline of Aviation" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_aviation

Just having a quick read though what happened in 1970 and it looks like it was a good thing that our parents didn't take us on a flight, what with all the crashes and hijackings! There was even a hijacking on my actual birthday but I can't find the reg number of the Aeroflot IL-14 involved or I might consider building it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cooper645 said:

Count me in, have purchased a 1/24 hasegawa Ferrari 328 gtb kit.  This Vehicle was released in the year I was born 1985. I look forward to getting stuck in with this build.

You nabbed my idea! I was born on the Hawaii islands so that car does have a special place in my heart hehe!

magnum-pi-ferrarijpg.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Cooper645 said:

Count me in, have purchased a 1/24 hasegawa Ferrari 328 gtb kit.  This Vehicle was released in the year I was born 1985. I look forward to getting stuck in with this build.

Consider yourself counted @Cooper645 and might I add a most excellent choice. Who doesn't like a Ferrari especially a mid 80's head turning chick magnet like the 328!. As a 15 year old, this would have been up there in my dreamy list of 'first cars' to buy, just a little short of the '72 VW SuperBug I ended up getting!. 

14 hours ago, TonyW said:

Having a nose around the internet, as you do, I find that on August 31 1956 The Avro Vulcan entered service with No. 83 Squadron RAF.

Meanwhile, in a maternity Ward in St Mary Abbots Hospital, London, I turned up!

It looks like an Airfix Vulcan is the logical choice for me then. 😁  If I can post the finished model on the 31st of August I will be delighted.

Tony.

That's a great fun fact @TonyW and although this GB starts on the 3rd of August, having a fully built Vulcan by the end of the month might be a bit challenging. I'm a betting man however, so I reckon you're a sure thing to do it. This should be a fun one. 

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Just having a quick read though what happened in 1970 and it looks like it was a good thing that our parents didn't take us on a flight, what with all the crashes and hijackings! There was even a hijacking on my actual birthday but I can't find the reg number of the Aeroflot IL-14 involved or I might consider building it.

There must be something out there to confirm that IL-14 rego @modelling minion. Hopefully some one might come to your aid, as a Hi-Jacked subject would be so fitting for that crazy year that we were born. 

6 hours ago, whiskey said:

You nabbed my idea! I was born on the Hawaii islands so that car does have a special place in my heart hehe!

magnum-pi-ferrarijpg.jpg

So are you considering to join in as well @whiskey, should I put you down for 1985? 

Cheers all and thanks for continuing the interest...Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Rabbit Leader.

Would it be possible to join your Group Build please. My build rate has been appalling over the last couple of years. 

The last model I made was over two years ago. Hopefully this will get me motivated to finish a model this year!

If I could join I would like to build a Folland Gnat. 

I've two connections with this this aircraft type. 

Firstly, It first flew in the year I was born (although the markings would be from the 60s or later), and secondly, I've worked at the site for many years where the Gnat was built. 

I see a Gnat every day I go to work as we have one as a gate guardian. 

Thank you, Joe. 

• Like 2

@Fatboydim, BM GB’s finally got me out of my rut and helped me to start to actually complete the many kits l’d started so on that thought alone, welcome aboard. There’s no feeling like finishing a kit and it hopefully looking like the image that was in your head before you started. Try to link your project to your YOB, perhaps reference to its first flight on a display base or something like that. 

Anyway, this should be a lot of fun and we will all help you get over the line by the GB end date. Can I confirm that the year is 1955?, if so, I’ll add you to the OP list. 

Cheers and thanks for your interest.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m really interested in this Group Build.

My immediate response was to ponder a scale figure of Bobby Moore. My year of birth is 1966. 

I couldn’t  find any kits as a basis for such a venture. Also; I’m very inexperienced with figure painting. The last time I did any was for the 1/35 figures in a Tamiya Panther tank, around 41 years ago. I know  it’s good to push oneself, but I decided to look for other things.

A little searching on the www revealed that the first Hawker P1127(RAF) flew with the RAF in August 1966. A pre-production model of what was to become known as the Hawker Harrier.

Would this count @Rabbit Leader? Other P1127 variants flew before, and with the RAe, but these appear to be the first truly RAF ordered batch (six) of the real Harrier derivative.

At this stage I can’t find any decent photographs or plans of these six P1127(RAF) machines, more specifically the one that flew in August 1966, but there appear to be some promising reference books out there 👍.

Best Regards

TonyT

• Like 2

@TonyTiger66, good to hear from you and your P.1127 (RAF) project is most certainly eligible. I’ve done a little googling and found that these six pre-production aircraft wore serials XV276 - 281. There’s quite a few images on the net so fill your boots and welcome aboard. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@TonyTiger66, good to hear from you and your P.1127 (RAF) project is most certainly eligible. I’ve done a little googling and found that these six pre-production aircraft wore serials XV276 - 281. There’s quite a few images on the net so fill your boots and welcome aboard. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thank you Dave,

That’s very helpful. The serials certainly help. I’ll get busy with research and obtaining a decent starting point kit in 1/72.

Count me in 😊👍.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Cooper645 no worries! If I do decide to join it'll be something aviation related anyway. Plus I don't have the Ferrari kit to build in my stash.

@Rabbit Leader I can't confirm if I am ready to add my name to the list as of yet however the closer the date approaches I will for sure have a better idea if I am going to. Thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@Fatboydim, BM GB’s finally got me out of my rut and helped me to start to actually complete the many kits l’d started so on that thought alone, welcome aboard. There’s no feeling like finishing a kit and it hopefully looking like the image that was in your head before you started. Try to link your project to your YOB, perhaps reference to its first flight on a display base or something like that. 

Anyway, this should be a lot of fun and we will all help you get over the line by the GB end date. Can I confirm that the year is 1955?, if so, I’ll add you to the OP list. 

Cheers and thanks for your interest.. Dave 

Thank you Dave.

Yes, the year is 1955. It's been a while since I posted anything. I think I used Imgur last time. I'll put my thinking cap on so I can recall how to use it. 🤔

Thanks again, Joe. 

• Like 2