"In the year I was born" GB Chat

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Actually I think in my original OP, I may have suggested either option, so I’m happy to allow either a subject or model kit first produced in the year that you were born. 

Hope this helps.. Dave

It does indeed - I'll stick with my original plans in that case - Thanks Dave :happy:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright all you 2019 GBer's, we're in! 

Enzo has kindly slotted us the dates - 03 August to 24 November 2019. Thats a total of 113 days to get your kits started, finished and lovingly displayed in the gallery. Now by my calculations thats exactly 274 days from today to do some research on the year that you were born. Hopefully that's plenty of time to get that particular kit, decal sheet, PE fret and whatever else you might need to get going. It also sounds like a nice time to take a well earned break and do some serious modelling. 

Anyway, thanks to all of you for helping to get this one up. What started off as a weird idea whilst trying to get some sleep looks like it's all gonna happen! 

Just to reiterate, the GB rules are really simple. Just build anything from the year that you were born. For those classic kit junkies this could be a kit first produced in say 1969 or else something that may be significant to that particular year - i.e. Lunar Module / Saturn V etc. That's pretty much it, pretty easy hey? 

There's plenty of room for all, so let me know if your keen to join and I'll update the original post (OP) as we go. 

Cheers.. Dave (est. 1970). 

• Like 3

Hello Dave - good news indeed! I'm still in with the ancient Airfix Vickers Vanguard - first flight in 1959 - not sure yet what I can do to make that an interesting build for everyone else (It'll be the first time I've done one) but I've plenty time to think on that and any other builds which may also be eligible. Congratulations on having the brainwave - it is certainly a unique idea for a GB - and we get another Build List thread as well?? All the best. Mike.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

... and we get another Build List thread as well??

Oh - yeh, I’d better do one of those I suppose. Actually Mike you’re in for double dose next year as it wouldn’t be a Classic kit GB without a build list and I’ve just remembered I’m also co-hosting the ‘Frog Squad’ GB from the 1st of June as well! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Good news Dave & good its later in the year, I must have things better organised by then, mustn't I? :unsure: I'm in with a Belgian Do27, first flight 1955 if Wikipedia is to be believed, if not I'll find something else.

Steve.

• Like 3

Thats sounds great @stevehnz, a Do27 is certainly something that’s a little on the quirky side so we’ll look forward to that. Now,  although the jury’s still out on the true validity of wiki pages, where would we all be without it for that instant inter web knowledge fix? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rob S said:

I'll bag position number 55 and now have try to think of something (or maybe even somethings?) from 1963 (and now you see why I wanted position number 55!).

1963 and subjects I noticed Aston Martin DB5 released, several Leander class frigates were launched, the LearJet took to the skies.....lots more.

• Like 1

Thanks for both your interest @Rob S and @nick32

I'll pop you down as #55 and #54 respectively as Rob wanted the #55 slot for some reason - all to be revealed in due course I'm sure. 

Now I've just taken a look at the the current list and there's a number of you who will be celebrating a 'milestone' birthday of sorts. So Happy 30th, 40th, 50th and 60th to those members mentioned below. 

03. 1959 - @Black Knight

12. 1969 - @Giorgio N

15. 1959 - @Swamp Donkey 

18. 1969 - @SAU

20. 1959 - @Ventora3300

30. 1959 - @PlaStix

31. 1969 - @Arniec

46. 1989 - @Blitz23

53. 1959 - @AdrianMF

54. 1979 - @nick32

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

.. I see the Airfix Sunderland was released in 1959.

Just sayin’

Edit: having read the rules, I will have to have a think about it...

Regards,

Adrian

All good Adrian, as long as you are aware that it’s ‘either’ a kit first produced in that year or ‘anything’ else that can be associated with that particular year. This GB is designed to be as open as possible in order to appease as many modellers as possible. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Add me in with an OV-10A Bronco...according to wiki it entered service in 1965...😁

Welcome aboard John, that's great news and a 1965 Bronco would most certainly fit the bill. 

I've slotted you in as #56. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now I've just taken a look at the the current list and there's a number of you who will be celebrating a 'milestone' birthday of sorts. So Happy 30th, 40th, 50th and 60th to those members mentioned below. 

30. 1959 - @PlaStix

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

Thanks for reminding me!! :fight:

As my birthday isn't until mid December I haven't quite reached the year before the significant birthday yet!!..............so in my head it's a long way off yet! 😞

Still looking forward to the GB though! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Sign me up for this! 1962! :yahoo:

As I understand the guidlines, then EITHER the model OR the subject has to have a connection to that specific year i.e. a 1962 VW Beetle or a plane from the Bay of Pigs invasion in Cuba - correct? :hmmm:

I don't know with what yet - I'll have to study hard to decide upon it - maybe with some help from a 1962 red wine....:winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Thanks 2

Thank you. 

And thank you for reminding me about the milestone... 😄 That crept up on me quickly, where the hell did the last 30 odd years go!!???

Now to decide what to build! I quite fancy doing a kit released in that year, but how would i go about finding this out? Is there a handy list anywhere of Airfix kits released by year for example? 

Edited by nick32
  • Like 1

Hello Dave. What an excellent idea for a GB.

I've been around since 1978, so I'd like to join if I may, building a Lotus Type 79 which made its debut at the Belgian GP in 1978. Mario Andretti won the race from Pole and went on to win the '78 Championship with his team-mate Ronnie Peterson posthumously finishing runner-up after tragically being killed following a crash at the Italian GP.

I'll have to put a reminder in my calendar as August 2019 seems a long way off at the moment. I'm sure time will fly though!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2018 at 3:03 AM, HansReggelsen said:

Sign me up for this! 1962! :yahoo:

Hans J

3 hours ago, monsjmse said:

I've been around since 1978, so I'd like to join if I may, building a Lotus Type 79 which made its debut at the Belgian GP in 1978. Mario Andretti won the race from Pole and went on to win the '78 Championship with his team-mate Ronnie Peterson posthumously finishing runner-up after tragically being killed following a crash at the Italian GP.

Mark.

4 minutes ago, Wonky Donkey said:

Fabby idea. Never done a GB before, but this has drawn me right in..

I'm in: 1977. I'll need to think about what I want to build... 

Welcome aboard Hans, Mark and W-D. It's great to hear that you are keen and ready to explore that famous year when we were all brought into this world. There's plenty of time to come up with an appropriate build, however Mark's Lotus 79 is certainly going to be a great addition, I shall look forward to that. It's also nice to hear that W-D has decided to make this his first ever GB start. I'll warn you, these GB's are quite catchy and soon enough you'll be eyeing out the GB Calendar and adding kits to fit the various themes rather than building what's already in the stash! 

Cheers and thanks for showing interest... Dave

• Like 1

Just now, Rabbit Leader said:

these GB's are quite catchy and soon enough you'll be eyeing out the GB Calendar and adding kits to fit the various themes rather than building what's already in the stash! 

Oh ferchrissakes. That's all I [don't] need.. 😂 

W-D 

• Haha 1

Just now, Wonky Donkey said:

Oh ferchrissakes. That's all I [don't] need.. 😂 

W-D 

The bright side to all this is that the GB end date and all the encouragement you'll receive along the way will actually do wonders to actually finishing some kits. Well that's my story anyway, which reminds me that I've really got to get my digit out and get going on my two (three?) latest GB builds. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This GB makes me feel old - offering 1952 makes me the third oldest to sign up to date.

I was born at the end of the "killer smog" in London so I could offer some dry ice and a stray light!

More seriously I am drawn towards two films issued that year:

The Sound Barrier

Angels One Five

Plenty of a/c in those, at least three of which are in the stash. Any none aircraft suggestions appreciated.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2018 at 11:10, nick32 said:

Thank you. 

And thank you for reminding me about the milestone... 😄 That crept up on me quickly, where the hell did the last 30 odd years go!!???

Now to decide what to build! I quite fancy doing a kit released in that year, but how would i go about finding this out? Is there a handy list anywhere of Airfix kits released by year for example? 

Two ways for Airfix kits

1. by type

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewforum.php?f=71

look at the type you want to build, eg civilian aircraft. Click on that and it'll give you a list of Airfix kits, Check the dates next to them

2. by year

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/the-history-of-airfix-f432/

A menu here has the kits in the decades they were built

Both lists courtesy of the Airfix Tribute Forum

I can't help with other makes

• Like 2