"In the year I was born" GB Chat

Gosh, looking at the ages quoted here I seem to be positively ancient born in 1950.

Even more gosh is the fact that nothing else happened in that year because the world was stunned by the birth of such a wise, sagacious and absolutely spendid man as I  ...... wha? Eh?

Err.. sorry, I was dreaming again!

I do share my birth year with some stellar people though, Julie Walters, Peter Frampton Richard Branson and Peter Gabriel for 4.

If there's a space left, I'd like to join in, I am looking at a Mig 15 - first combat in 1950, or maybe a F 94 starfire which entered operational service in 1950.

of course, there's time to consider ships cars and AVF's, too!

• Thanks 1

Great news Whofan.. 1950 was certainly a momentous year and I like your ideas so far mentioned. It was also the first year of what we call the modern Formula 1, so perhaps there’s something there that might take your fancy as well. 

Your my #29.. surely we’re not gonna get 30 candidates im what has only been a matter of days? 

Once again - we’ll done all.. Dave

Cheers Dave,

Formula 1, even railways to consider. The Mig has resonance with me because my father served in the Korean War, onboard HMS Ocean as a Yeoman of Signals.

Edited by Whofan
Spelling

8 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Go on then - I'll be number 30! Seen a rather nice Chinese Medium Tank Type 59 from Takom I could persuade myself to purchase!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hey - we got there.. thanks Plaxstix!

Now I’ll be honest, armour is not my strong suit, so what year would this tank belong too? I’ll learn something today plus we’ll all know whats your year of birth. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arniec said:

I am in as well. As I am from 1969 there is enough to find.

cheers,

Always welcomed Arnold. I’m currently watching that great 1969 masterpiece ‘Battle of Britain’ so a 109 / Buchon would be a nice touch? 

Cheers.. Dave

19 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Hey - we got there.. thanks Plaxstix!

Now I’ll be honest, armour is not my strong suit, so what year would this tank belong too? I’ll learn something today plus we’ll all know whats your year of birth. 

Cheers.. Dave

No problem Dave. It entered into service in 1959 and is still in use today in some countries. It was manufactured from 1958 until 1985. I kind of like the fact that it was a Type 59 too!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Always welcomed Arnold. I’m currently watching that great 1969 masterpiece ‘Battle of Britain’ so a 109 / Buchon would be a nice touch? 

Cheers.. Dave

Well it was also the year of the first moonlanding , so a Saturn V rocket?! Or the first flight of the Concorde?! Those are two big ones, but you will never know. I have to do some more researche into it.

Cheers,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Arab-Israeli wars were very prominent that year and I still recall watching grainy footage of a certain South Atlantic skirmish that broke out in the year of 1982. 

Thanks Lads.. Dave

Ah I almost forgot about that little Southern adventure, I would quite fancy building a Royal Marines diorama sometime :)

• Like 1

Just noticed while doing a spot of research for this proposed GB. Comet 1 first service in 1953. And that mammoth air event at Odiham!! The Queens Coronation Review!! Having the Hikoki softback book on the RAF Review with pics and colour side views I have a huge selection to choose from! Subject sorted

• Like 1

Sorry chaps.. been spending a bit too much time on the sick bed all week and now am slowly recovering somewhat. Thanks to all the 30 additional BM members who would like to take a trip back in time to that famous year that we we all born. I suppose I’ll now need to solicate a suitable co-host before I tap @Enzo Matrix on the shoulder and alert him of this potential GB. 

So - I’m looking for an energetic and humorous side kick, who doesn’t take this hobby too seriously, however can name any RAF Squadron just by viewing a quick flash card of its two letter code?? (.. one of RL’s favourite family games & currently undefeated)..

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

• Like 2

On 2/22/2018 at 7:16 AM, SAU said:

What I can think of,

Cuban missile crisis

Operation_Trikora - the indonesian planning of sinking the dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman with soviet-supplied Tu-16s' armed with KS-1 missiles

and many many " US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site"

https://www.onthisday.com/events/date/1962

Also a couple of Air France B707s crashed and Scott Carpenter went buzzing around the earth in Aurora 7.

Who else do you think was born in '62 :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Also a couple of Air France B707s crashed and Scott Carpenter went buzzing around the earth in Aurora 7.

Who else do you think was born in '62 :whistle:

So good to have you onboard Ray. 

I’ve updated the list and your 1962 nomination is now my #32nd member entry. It poses to be a historical hoot!! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Sorry chaps.. been spending a bit too much time on the sick bed all week and now am slowly recovering somewhat. Thanks to all the 30 additional BM members who would like to take a trip back in time to that famous year that we we all born. I suppose I’ll now need to solicate a suitable co-host before I tap @Enzo Matrix on the shoulder and alert him of this potential GB. 

So - I’m looking for an energetic and humorous side kick, who doesn’t take this hobby too seriously, however can name any RAF Squadron just by viewing a quick flash card of its two letter code?? (.. one of RL’s favourite family games & currently undefeated)..

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

Sorry to hear that, hope you recover soon! I'd be happy to co-host if you're okay with someone with no prior hosting experience (though I am co-hosting Pacific at War for trickyrich, so I will have co-host experience by next year).

And I will definitely be building the AT-AT. That and the Space Shuttle are my top picks, though I'd like to try and fit in at least one fast jet as well. Question is which one...I also remembered that the Gulf of Sidra Incident engagement between Libyan Su-22s and U.S. Navy F-14s was in 1981, and I have the recent "VF-84 Jolly Rogers 1980" boxing of the Academy F-14A in my stash, which has the VF-41 Black Aces aircraft involved in the 1981 Su-22 shootdown as secondary decal options (I think I also have a WolfPak sheet with the appropriate markings).

• Like 2

@Sabre_days - your Hired !! 

Thanks for volunteering to be co-host, it should be lots of fun and we all might get a wee history lesson out of it all, so that ain't that bad I think? 

For GB Hosting experience, I've got zero as well, however it can't be all that hard can it?? We just need to encourage everyone along and write nice things about all the builds everyone now and again. I also recommended that you make yourself familiar with where the 'like' button lives.

Health wise - today was a better day, although still not good enough to spend on the modelling bench with sharp tools and glue within arms distance.

By the way.. I love all your 1981 subject choices, so I too will try to expand my general modelling topics to something a little different to just aircraft (OMG - what have I just said?)

Cheers... and hopefully this will get up for 2019... Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

For GB Hosting experience, I've got zero as well, however it can't be all that hard can it?? We just need to encourage everyone along and write nice things about all the builds everyone now and again. I also recommended that you make yourself familiar with where the 'like' button lives.

Dave, with your efforts in keeping the build stats going in the Matchbox GB you are more than capable to host a GB. You are already there when it comes to the requirements.

I am hosting my second at the moment and I can tell you, you won't have any issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

Get well soon, Dave. I am sure that 'Rabbit Squadron' looked after you well. You'll be 'snowed under' with volunteers to co-host this excellent GB but at the end of the day, you know that the BM faithful will pitch in as necessary, just as you do yourself.

Looking forward to it.

Mike

• Like 1

I'll add myself to the list please, that will be 1956 covered.

Hang about, that makes me over sixty!!!  

Why can I remember every detail of getting an Airfix B17 for Christmas around 1967 or so, but have no idea why I've just come into the room?

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Thanks TonyW, another seedling from ‘56 joins the fray. It was such a pleasure to view your prolific work during the Matchbox GB, so look forward to this one getting up and seeing what you come up with. 

I’ve marked you down as #33. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

I'm already signed up, despite not being sure about the eligibility rules!

Does the subject have to be represent a specific event in the year in question, or merely to have been in service at that time?  Taking my 1956 as an example: an aircraft in Suez markings would presumably be eligible, but how about the same subject 6 months earlier (i.e without Suez stripes)?

Thanks

Cliff

4 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I'm already signed up, despite not being sure about the eligibility rules!

Does the subject have to be represent a specific event in the year in question, or merely to have been in service at that time?  Taking my 1956 as an example: an aircraft in Suez markings would presumably be eligible, but how about the same subject 6 months earlier (i.e without Suez stripes)?

Thanks

Cliff

Cliff, 

The model elibility rules are fairly open, so as long as your subject can be pinned to any date of the year that you were born - it’s acceptable. 

Therefore, your non Suez 1956 subject is all good. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:04, Arniec said:

I am in as well. As I am from 1969 there is enough to find.

cheers,

The year that Bryan Adams 'Got his first real six string' . :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Hello, I would like to give this a bash when we get through in the polls!

1957, the year of the first flight of the Fairey Rotodyne!

Cheers, Ray

• Thanks 1