"In the year I was born" GB Chat

9 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Sounds interesting, especially if the results are shown in a date order sequence. I'll have ago for 1963.

Thanks Mark, you will be #9. I agree, displaying these in date order sequence would also be a great idea. 

Now the first thing that comes to my mind for 1963 is an all-white V-Bomber, now that would be something.

Some cracking music was released this year as well. Welcome aboard.   

9 hours ago, Paul J said:

Most certainly!  And yes you are right '53 it is for me.  

Appreciate the confirmation Paul. Your in at #10.

An aircraft on display during the 1953 Coronation would be most fitting.

Glad you think its worth a shot.  

4 hours ago, Wez said:

1964 - The Rolling Stones debut album was released, the Olympics were held in Tokyo, the Forth Road Bridge opened, the first Top of the Pops was aired...

So, the Wez "Little Red Rooster' was born in the year of 64? 

Great news - if it get's up it should be a hoot.

...and thanks for embedding my head with Keef Richards riffs!!  

I've marked you down as #11.

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

1954 for me if that would be OK for everyone. Four minute mile, end of rationing, last operational Spitfire flight, End of first Vietnam War after Dien Bien Phu falls. Also end of McCarthyism. Might need to think about a build as I restrict myself to mainly British stuff. 

Excellent stuff Mr. T - there's some fantastic options for 1954, an Indo French campaign aircraft would get my tick of approval.

Many thanks.

43 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

When I first read the proposal I thought it was a bit crazy. Then I started feeling that the idea is so crazy that I love it ! Please add me to the list

My year is an important one in aerospace, with the Eagle landing on the moon. This event alone is a good source of modelling subjects, like the Apollo capsule, the LEM, the Saturn V launcher and the famous "66" Sea King.

Giorgio (#12) - I'm honored that you even thought that this proposal sounded crazy. It might even get up?

1969, now there's some great subjects for that year - if only I was born one year earlier!

Cheers lads... Dave  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Hmm, this could be good, so in 1961 we saw the following:

Yuri Gagarin and Vostock 1

North American X-15 goes hypersonic mach 5

First flight of Dassault Mirage IIE

Lighting F2 enters service

Hawker P.1127 transitions from vertical to horizontal flight for the first time

RAF send Hawker Hunters to Kuwait to protect it from threats from Iraq (Canberra and Valiants also deployed to Malta)

Wallis Autogyro makes first flight

Some interesting ideas...

Excellent stuff Kallisti - '61 was a very productive year. Your my 'Lucky 13'.

You sure Gerry Anderson wasn't doing something puppetry during that year as well??

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So, the Wez "Little Red Rooster' was born in the year of 64? 

Great news - if it get's up it should be a hoot.

...and thanks for embedding my head with Keef Richards riffs!!  

I've marked you down as #11.

Thank you.

Having your head embedded with Keef's riffs can't be a bad thing and I'm sure, it won't be...   ...the last time.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Great idea, sounds fun and might get some of us out of our modelling comfort zones.

Put me down please for 1977.

James

Thanks James - your #14 and officially our youngest member!!

I can still remember hearing the death of Elvis as a 7 year old that year.

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

The Royal Air Force got their hands on Gods finest in late 1959

Count me in with an early Lightning F1

SD

Excellent year and excellent choice Swamp Donkey. That '59 era Lightning will be great to see.

You're in at #15 (how many more members do we need to get this GB onto the short list?)      

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

I might be in, with a certain U-2 incident that occurred in 1960....

Francis Gary Powers - I can't think of a better aviation representation than a CIA U-2 from 1960.

That's the spirit Andy, your notated as #16 with one of the most iconic Cold War images from this famous year.  

Cheers.. Dave 

14 hours ago, Mr T said:

1954 for me if that would be OK for everyone. Four minute mile, end of rationing, last operational Spitfire flight, End of first Vietnam War after Dien Bien Phu falls. Also end of McCarthyism. Might need to think about a build as I restrict myself to mainly British stuff. 

Whoops - sincere apologies Mr.T, I must have missed your confirmation with the flood of traffic. I'll mark you down as #17 if that's OK.

Cheers... Dave  

3 minutes ago, SAU said:

1969 and I'm in. I have a lot in my stash and surely find anything buildable.

Too bad I wasn't born in 1966. Then I just could... Paint it, black :whistle:

SAU... your nomination (#18) has been happily accepted and your sure to find a good subject from the "Summer of 69"!! - oh I wish we could stop all these musical connotations, @Wez will think we're going "Out of our Heads"!! (1964 Rolling Stones Album title!). 

Cheers and thanks .. Dave 

Fantastic progress so far lads... hard to believe this idea is catching on!  

So far we have potential modelling representations from the years - 

1953, 1954, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969 (x2), 1970, 1971, 1973, 1977 - Who ever said this was a young man's hobby!! 

Any more interest to try and fill in some of the gaps? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Really neat idea, please count me in. I've been reviewing what happened in 1981, and there are some definite possibilities:

-First Space Shuttle Mission.

-First full year of the Iran-Iraq War.

-Israeli airstrike on the Osirak nuclear reactor.

-First flights of the F-117 Nighthawk, Boeing 767, BAe 146, AV-8B Harrier II, Shorts 360, Dornier 228 and SIAI-Marchetti S.211.

And at a bit of a stretch:

-Longest game in professional baseball history between the Pawtucket Red Sox and the Rochester Red Wings (Triple-A affiliates of the Boston Red Sox and Baltimore Orioles, respectively - future hall of famers Wade Boggs and Cal Ripken, Jr. played third base for the opposing teams). Admittedly, it would be hard to fit this one in, but part of me would really like to try...

-Just one year off from initial operational capability of the M1 Abrams (1980) and MiG-29 "Fulcrum" (1982), so a very early service M1 or an operational test and evaluation early-series MiG-29 might work...

All things considered, Columbia in STS-1 markings, the first prototype YF-117A and an Operation Opera F-16A Netz are probably my first choices...

I haven't done too much research yet on which kits came out in 1981, but I have determined that MPC's The Empire Strikes Back AT-AT walker was first released that year, and I have an unstarted copy in my stash.

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Thanks 1

Excellent Stuff @Sabre_days

I can tell by your penmanship that you are a man of many words, so it would be a pleasure to have you along to collect Deli ticket #19 (do us Aussie's only use Deli tickets?). 

I remember watching STS-1 take off for it's initial Space Shuttle mission on a small colour 34cm TV - I'm sure you can get phones bigger than that these days!!. 

All your other suggestions also sound very interesting (go the AT-AT young fella), however I'll admit being a Cricket man myself your baseball paragraph is completely over my head.. 

Cheers and thanks for nominating.... Dave 

• Thanks 1

Dave,

Inspired idea! - put me in as a second name against 1959. I was thinking of a commercial aircraft first flying in service, maybe Vickers Vanguard, as a change from these recent warbirds I've been doing. Regards, Mike. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks James - your #14 and officially our youngest member!!

I can still remember hearing the death of Elvis as a 7 year old that year.

Cheers.. Dave.

Thanks Dave

Feels a bit odd being the youngest at 40😊

I was alive for 10 days before the king died!

Thanks 

James

• Like 1

In my book 'Know Aviation by respected author F. Mason, items of interest for 1962 are :

Prototype Comet makes first flight

Supersonic version of the Olympus engine makes its first flight in the bomb bay of a Vulcan bomber

First Italian-assembled Lockheed F104G is flown

to name a few as others included numerous crashes of civil airlines and also the introduction of the Russian Tu124 and the Antonov  AN24 into service.

• Like 1

1973? Well as per usual there was a plethora of political scandals all over the western world and a few 'plane crashes but also the birth of mobile 'phones and the ATM machine. The 'Cod War' kicked off again and GSG-9 were formed. Skylab 2 and Mars 5 head into space followed by Skylab 3 and Mariner 10 then Skylab 4 while back on earth the Vietnam War ends and the Yom Yippur War occurs.

F-4 Phantoms are both the last US aircraft to score a kill and to be shot down during the Vietnam War while the IAI Kfir and the Alpha Jet fly for the first time.

• Thanks 1

Had a quick look at '63, some quite interesting bits and pieces; BAC 1-11 first flight, Shorts SC.7 Skyvan first flight (that appeals to me as I built it as a youngster if I could source the Airfix kit that would be my choice), USS Thresher Nuclear submarine is lost with all hands during depth tests, first production Porsche 911, plus the X-15 continues to set records.

The Beatles release their first Album Please Please me and of course JFK is assassinated.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jabba said:

I can't think of anything for 1962 at the moment, but give it time and I know someone will.

What I can think of,

Cuban missile crisis

Operation_Trikora - the indonesian planning of sinking the dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman with soviet-supplied Tu-16s' armed with KS-1 missiles

and many many " US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site"

https://www.onthisday.com/events/date/1962

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Dave,

Inspired idea! - put me in as a second name against 1959. I was thinking of a commercial aircraft first flying in service, maybe Vickers Vanguard, as a change from these recent warbirds I've been doing. Regards, Mike. 

Mike,

A civvy aircraft would be most appropriate. It was also the start(ish) of the Airliner jet age, so there's many a gas guzzling jet to be had.

Many thanks for the support - You're in at #20

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

I can't think of anything for 1962 at the moment, but give it time and I know someone will.

Jabba,

Many historic events occured in that fine year. Can't think of one just yet, however SAU's list above could whet the appitite.

Your my Happy 21st!

2 hours ago, Col. said:

1973? Well as per usual there was a plethora of political scandals all over the western world and a few 'plane crashes but also the birth of mobile 'phones and the ATM machine. The 'Cod War' kicked off again and GSG-9 were formed. Skylab 2 and Mars 5 head into space followed by Skylab 3 and Mariner 10 then Skylab 4 while back on earth the Vietnam War ends and the Yom Yippur War occurs.

F-4 Phantoms are both the last US aircraft to score a kill and to be shot down during the Vietnam War while the IAI Kfir and the Alpha Jet fly for the first time.

Col - another fine product of '73.

You could always build a cheap 'n nasty Asian small car, remember all those ones we bought when petrol prices went through the roof during the Oil Crisis. 

I'll mark you down as #22 as I take it you're in as well?

Cheers and thanks to all.. Dave 

• Like 2