"In the year I was born" GB Chat

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 8:25 AM, Jackster said:

Count me in, if a 1/48 1963 111 Sqn BAC Lightning F1 is acceptable? 

I had the pleasure of serving on 111 Sqn in the early '90s, I was born in 1963 so that is my tie-in.

A ‘63 Frightening is more than acceptable Jackster - and that’s one lovely way to tie your birth year to your proud service. 

Thanks for popping by and apologies for the late pick-up to your post. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jackster said:

Thanks, Dave, my first group build, so really looking forward to it 😁

Great to see a number of 'first time' GB entrants wanting to get involved.

I can bet you it won't be your last!

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

I have been playing hard to get with this but I finally succumbed. Please put me down for 1965.

1965 Aviation Fact

North American XB-70 Valkyrie achieves Mach 3

1965 kit release 

Frog Northrop Black Widow P-61B

Now before you say build the Valkyrie, yes I have the 1/72 AMT kit but it's over a yard long even in 1/72 scale !!

cheers Pat

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

As one of the younger members perhaps I should enter this thread I give a slightly more modern take, problem is I have no idea what my year (1993) could entail....

Here’s a start for you, courtesy of Wikipedia. 

Vehicles introduced in 1993:  30 aircraft, 36 cars, 9 locomotives, 9 motorbikes and 78 ships.

There might be one or two suitable subjects in that lot. 👍

• Like 2

On 07/03/2018 at 17:39, vppelt68 said:

I've given some thought for this and I've began to lean towards the subjects I dedicated my modelling time and some of my money - but not all of it :cheers:- as a teenager: 1:24 scale musclecars! Can't go wrong with them in 1968 :yahoo:. V-P

Oh now it seems (Mrs.) Santa has made the pick for me, a 1968 it is but a Ponycar... See ya after Christmas :coolio:. V-P

• Like 2

I think this is a cracking idea for a group build. I checked out aviation events for 1965 and only 1 significant plane had its first flight in the year. the BN Islander!

By good fortune Valom have just released it in 1/48 scale so this will be my subject for the GB.

Colin 

• Like 1

Hi,

I'd like to chip in with an entry for 1962 if I may? 

The first flight of the Bristol Type 188 was in April of '62 and I have a 1/72 vacform lurking somewhere in the stash, not sure who the manufacturer is though..🤔

Cheers!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

1960,The Royal Navy retired it's last piston engined fixed wing aircraft,the Douglas Skyraider AEW1,better start tracking a kit down then.

I have a Skyraider AEW on my sales list - see John's sales slot!

John

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jaw said:

I have a Skyraider AEW on my sales list - see John's sales slot!

John

And a cracking price too John,sadly I'm one of those  Dino's without paypal intheir live's which mean's I often miss out in that section!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

And a cracking price too John,sadly I'm one of those  Dino's without paypal intheir live's which mean's I often miss out in that section!

Steve - I will take a cheque - or folding cash. PM me to discuss?

John

• Like 2

OK chaps.. I must sincerely apologise for my BM tardiness over this last month. 

It's been a combination of taking family holidays and gearing up for a busy Christmas not to mention a few consecutive days of modelling dramas and stuff ups that had me (once again) questioning why I do this to myself? I promise I'll pick myself up and get going once again however in modelling terms, the last month of 2018 has not been great so I'm hoping the start of 2019 changes things. 

I have neglected the wonderful addition of the following members to this up and coming GB, so I thank the following for putting their hand up and coming up with some excellent subject choices. 

61. 1965 - @JOCKNEY (Frog P-61B Black Widow)

62. 1965 - @Colin W (Britten Norman Islander)

63. 1962 - @Jinxman (Bristol Type 188)

64. 1960 - @stevej60 (RN Skyraider AEW.1)  

Again - please accept my apologies for not updating this list earlier and thanks for choosing to participate when this whole show rolls along.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Santa came up with the goods and now the Islander has landed in Thailand. Kit anyway. 

Looks good so just need to decide on a scheme. 

Military UK,  military Thailand, civil NZ or civilian yellow as famously used in the Channel islands?

Actually too many choices. 

Colin 

• Like 1

I’ll look forward to seeing the Islander Colin. I’ve not long found one of the old Airfix Kits however a nice big new tooled model seems like a better place to start. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

My entry is now confirmed (courtesy of Mrs. Santa ) :happy:

32639469858_c1726bff52_k.jpg

Oh... noice!! 

Cant wait to see this one built, a true classic if ever there was one! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

OK - I've done thinking about what I will be building for this GB :hmmm::

50f00ee5-63d2-4d22-8144-a63a913dd687.jpg

The year was 1962, the kit is the 1/72 Italeri B-58 and the decals are from Caracal! :thumbsup:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 3