Su-30MKI Prototype 1/48

I began this with the 2017 Sukhoi Flanker STGB group build but wasn't able to finish in time. To recap it is the Academy Su-30MKK kit with the Sol Su-35 (Su-27M) canards, scratch built instrument panels with the Neomega Su-30MKK cockpit, Aires wheel wells, new resin nose, A.M.U.R. Reaver burner cans, AKAN paint and Begemot decals.

Bort 01

VpKvAmp.jpg

Neomega cockpit with MKI instrument panels being made. Tried to make some resin extras as backups but my casting wasn't very good.

oBKZ6xX.jpg

zS6aCtx.jpg

Canopy mechanism work

eMSBCX8.jpg

Days of putty and sanding to come.

NZpNQJK.jpg

I ended up filling it with foam to give it some internal strength to compensate all of the cutting of both fuselage halves.

NcrL68o.jpg?1

A.M.U.R. Reaver exhausts are a lot bigger than the original Academy pipes but look great.

jgsvhjP.jpg

No complaints with AKAN's Su-30MKI demonstrator colors. The overall pale blue the dark blue were perfect, I grayed the middle blue just a bit to get a better match.

nkkjreU.jpg

I always use little 1/144 kits as color testers 

mOQPM4z.jpgG

Gear is on it's way. I found some photos where that wonderful Russian pink sealant was used on this plane's gear which certainly adds a bit more color. I'm using the resin Armory wheel set with the nice sagged tires. 1eLiZzb.jpg?1

Thanks for looking, more to come.

• Like 3

Gear is on, now for some ordinance.

CI1ni8s.jpg

sKwAgsT.jpg

Nice etched mudguard replacement

0fefYza.jpg  

Never knew I'd turn a Flanker into a bomb truck but I've always liked this cover photo.

rU1br4o.jpg?1

So I've been rummaging through my stash and finding as many 250 kg bombs and racks as I can.

w6Ub8Am.jpg?1

And using photos to find the correct position of the racks with the right number and layout of the bombs. I'll use the nicer resin dispensers for the wings and intakes where they'll be seen more and the lesser plastic ones for the two between the intakes and engines. Same with the bombs.

qbgBRBv.jpg?1

• Like 5

Great work Paul! Love this scheme, and nice work on the undercarriage too!

Sad I seem to be the only one interested in this project.... 

Also, where did you get the canards front section from? I've been after a set for ages but wasn't aware one was available. 

Edited by Radleigh

Thanks Radleigh, the canards are from a Sol Su-35 set, I wondered if it would work for a two seater and it did. In fact it wasn't much of an effort or any more work than the 4 single seaters I have done.

Windmark and Wolfpack also make them.

- I'm for some times now in the Soviet/Russian aircraft modelling job and yours remind me some hard time I had building my  Malaysian  Su-30 MKM ,be sure  I duly appreciate the job done on your model. 

4 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- I'm for some times now in the Soviet/Russian aircraft modelling job and yours remind me some hard time I had building my  Malaysian  Su-30 MKM ,be sure  I duly appreciate the job done on your model. 

Yes I followed that excellent build and I marveled at how quickly you managed to get it all together.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Yes I followed that excellent build and I marveled at how quickly you managed to get it all together.

- I thought at first there could be an issue with the adaptation of the Sol transkit, in fact  it proved very easy to adapt, thanks to this, the whole things turned into building an almost "normal" kit with a few A.M features...nothing to make knots in own's brain , and most of all ,I have plenty of time left to work on...

2 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- I thought at first there could be an issue with the adaptation of the Sol transkit, in fact  it proved very easy to adapt, thanks to this, the whole things turned into building an almost "normal" kit with a few A.M features...nothing that deserves making knots in own's brain , and most of all ,I have plenty of time left to work on...

4 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- I thought at first there could be an issue with the adaptation of the Sol transkit, in fact  it proved very easy to adapt, thanks to this, the whole things turned into building an almost "normal" kit with a few A.M features...nothing to make knots in own's brain , and most of all ,I have plenty of time left to work on...

Yes The Sol part was fine, I hadn't used it on a 2 seater before. The wheel wells made it unexpectantly flimsy around the wings which caused me some trouble. The big exhausts also took some time as well as the Fairy Hobby canopy (which is so much nicer being the correct size).

3 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Yes The Sol part was fine, I hadn't used it on a 2 seater before. The wheel wells made it unexpectantly flimsy around the wings which caused me some trouble. The big exhausts also took some time as well as the Fairy Hobby canopy (which is so much nicer being the correct size).

- What proved to be the most troublesome for me was  rectifying the position of the wheelwells to make them perpendicular with the aircraft axis adapting Aires wheels bay;I had to make some "compromise".I didn't knew Fairy Hobby; If some day I built a two seater i'll pay them a visit..

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

- What proved to be the most troublesome for me was  rectifying the position of the wheelwells to make them perpendicular with the aircraft axis adapting Aires wheels bay;I had to make some "compromise".I didn't knew Fairy Hobby; If some day I built a two seater i'll pay them a visit..

Yes I commend you for that, I couldn't quite face correcting the angle at the time. 

This photo shows how small the Academy canopies are compared to the Fairy Hobby one.  I had to use some Eduard PE for the Kinetic Su-33 for the Fairy Hobby canopy as anything for Academy was too small. 

I'm glad to see all the new flanker kits seem to have corrected this.

TuWbA1A.jpg

• Thanks 1