Sanger 1/48 Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC - Finished at last!

woody37

Made some progress today. I've build the bomb bay framework and started to add to it to strengthen the fuselage up due to the moulded halves being quite flimsy. This was done using some of the parts Mike had cut joined to the new parts in 2mm plasticard.

Next job is to cut the bomb bay doors out. I'm aware that the bomb bay floor wasn't flat around the wing box, but life is too short (and Telford too near!) to be working towards perfection. Adding all the bomb bay frames in will need to be followed up with a counselling session!

39584315495_977b4ef659_b_d.jpg

39584315615_d652fa82dd_b_d.jpg

39584315755_4b36f5a8d3_b_d.jpg

• Like 18

That’s great progress, just for mine and possibly others benefit how do you get the bulkhead profiles correct for the fuselage interior? I have a length of fuse wire that is malleable enough to press into the fuselage and retain the shape long enough to draw round with a soft pencil.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

That’s great progress, just for mine and possibly others benefit how do you get the bulkhead profiles correct for the fuselage interior? I have a length of fuse wire that is malleable enough to press into the fuselage and retain the shape long enough to draw round with a soft pencil.

That’s a good idea. Mike did a few of the bulkhead pieces so I used one of them to get the general shape of the others. Less scientific than your way so I think I’ll copy your method on the next one as I don’t have one of them profile gauges. One of the challenges is the vac part flexing so getting an accurate shape from the natural profile doesn’t necessarily lead to the right shape.

got the tail wheel bay done tonight and fitted to one of the fuselage halves. I’ll get a photo tomorrow. So far so good :)

cheers

• Like 4

Loving this so far, Neil. From my experience with Sanger kits, she'll all that bracing to hold her steady!

My advice would be to build the inner wing spars as an integral part of the bomb bay roof for added strength - doing it whilst the fuselage is still open also aids greatly with getting things aligned correctly, too.

Really looking forward to seeing more...

Tom

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Loving this so far, Neil. From my experience with Sanger kits, she'll all that bracing to hold her steady!

My advice would be to build the inner wing spars as an integral part of the bomb bay roof for added strength - doing it whilst the fuselage is still open also aids greatly with getting things aligned correctly, too.

Really looking forward to seeing more...

Tom

That 's my plan mate. The tail plane will be secured using a brass rod, but the wings will need something far more substantial. Quite enjoying the challenge of this one...well until I take one of the obligatory two steps back :lol:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I knew the Stirling was 'boxy' your fuselage section really shows it to be so . . . 

What Tim said, looking forward to seeing  more

I'm not sure if the real thing was that boxy TBH. I'll know more once everythings glued up and car filler will help to even everything out!

Cheers

• Like 2

On 2/22/2018 at 3:52 PM, Cees Broere said:

AFAIK only the internal structure was the same but with very different Perspex shapes.

Hi Cees

As you say the perspex is very different, but a Wellington FN5 structure is taller. On a stirling and lancaster, the ammo boxes are mounted under the turret ring with the boxes lids level with the base of the cupola. On a Wellington the ammo boxes are mounted above the level of the cupola lower surface, see

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wellington+fn5&rlz=1C1SQJL_enGB785GB785&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwzM2hzcTZAhWJyKQKHUnSBtsQ_AUICigB&biw=1024&bih=472#imgrc=A5ebmaypfyVKgM:

unfortunately I haven't got any photos to hand showing the Lanc/Stirling installation, but it is definitely different

John

ps Cees, apologies, the radiator gauge didn't come as part of the package we received :(

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Progress has been a bit slow but never the less progress with the obligatory few steps back thrown in to keep it interesting!

Firstly, the rear gear bay has been built using plasticard...

39951504334_69b62e1f53_b_d.jpg

39951504204_d32fa87576_b_d.jpg

I then cut the bomb bay doors out only to find what a numpty I am! Can you spot the deliberate error?

39951504064_40799928dc_b_d.jpg

Yep, you guessed, the saying measure twice cut once comes in useful when you practice it, unfortunately I didn't here!

So, the interior framework was taken apart and modified so now we have this...

39951503944_d6f8f62e42_b_d.jpg

Alain (corsairfoxfouruncle) is sending some resin bits across this week so once here, I'll see what we have and figure out what needs scratch building on the interior and make a start. This won't be a fully detailed interior or mega accurate, but should be enough to give it plenty of character when looking through the greenhouse roof. I'm not looking forwards to making all the bomb bay ribs, that should lead nicely in to my first counselling session :lol:

One of the scary things is managing the expectations of you clever and knowledgeable folk here on BM central :frantic:

• Like 17

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

I'm not looking forwards to making all the bomb bay ribs,

use a cutter machine?   IIRC @bootneck  did some fine work with a Silhouette Cutter, here's a thread

By the sounds of  it you don't have on of these,  but maybe someone could do some bomb bay ribs for you.

I got one of these 'kits'  a few  years  back off the sale pages cheap....  pity it's so shoddy in execution and basic accuracy.

• Like 1

Theres only 26 or so...

A laser can do this or knife cutter.

I'm at the start of my laser learning curve , but have done this sort of work with my Ioline cutter . Its a little hard on the cutter , but piling up copies of the file on top of each other will allow the cutter to work its way through rather than pushing the tools parameter trying to get through in one or two goes.

Liking the Stirling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

use a cutter machine?   IIRC @bootneck  did some fine work with a Silhouette Cutter, here's a thread

By the sounds of  it you don't have on of these,  but maybe someone could do some bomb bay ribs for you.

I got one of these 'kits'  a few  years  back off the sale pages cheap....  pity it's so shoddy in execution and basic accuracy.

3 hours ago, krow113 said:

Theres only 26 or so...

A laser can do this or knife cutter.

I'm at the start of my laser learning curve , but have done this sort of work with my Ioline cutter . Its a little hard on the cutter , but piling up copies of the file on top of each other will allow the cutter to work its way through rather than pushing the tools parameter trying to get through in one or two goes.

Liking the Stirling.

Guys,

i havent heard of these for cutting plastic before so I’ll have a good look tonight, sounds like a cutter of some kind would be a good investment. The payback should be a reduction in counselling sessions 😅

• Like 2

21 hours ago, woody37 said:

Hi guys,

Progress has been a bit slow but never the less progress with the obligatory few steps back thrown in to keep it interesting!

Firstly, the rear gear bay has been built using plasticard...

39951504334_69b62e1f53_b_d.jpg

39951504204_d32fa87576_b_d.jpg

I then cut the bomb bay doors out only to find what a numpty I am! Can you spot the deliberate error?

39951504064_40799928dc_b_d.jpg

Yep, you guessed, the saying measure twice cut once comes in useful when you practice it, unfortunately I didn't here!

So, the interior framework was taken apart and modified so now we have this...

39951503944_d6f8f62e42_b_d.jpg

Alain (corsairfoxfouruncle) is sending some resin bits across this week so once here, I'll see what we have and figure out what needs scratch building on the interior and make a start. This won't be a fully detailed interior or mega accurate, but should be enough to give it plenty of character when looking through the greenhouse roof. I'm not looking forwards to making all the bomb bay ribs, that should lead nicely in to my first counselling session :lol:

One of the scary things is managing the expectations of you clever and knowledgeable folk here on BM central :frantic:

Ahem, I know what you can do Neil, so I'm expecting a bit more on the cockpit LOL

John

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Alain (corsairfoxfouruncle) is sending some resin bits across this week

Sorry @woody37 ... I think you have me confused with Alain ? My name is Dennis. Is it possible you're thinking of Corsaircorp ?  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry @woody37 ... I think you have me confused with Alain ? My name is Dennis. Is it possible you're thinking of Corsaircorp ?  

You’re absolutely right, I’m getting your usernames mixed up. That explains why I thought Alain was called Dennis :blush:

apologies to you both

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2018 at 11:34 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Apologies not needed on my end, I understand we have similar screen names. Its actually not the first time this has happened. 

Dennis 

Seconded, don't you worry about that !

I'll pop here from time to time, in between 2 riveting sessions on my Lanc !

Window already repositioned rightly on one half fuselage !

If you hear about a 1/48 Paragon design Manchester AND Lincoln, Pierre is still looking for one.

He already have 2 tamiya Lanc on the stash, waiting for surgery :evil_laugh:

Great work going on here Congratulations !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted anything  but there has been some small progress, but mainly a lot of thanks to go out. Firstly Alain @corsaircorp for sending me the fantastic resin bits seen below. These will help immensely. Secondly, Nick @SleeperService for sending me the front Wellington turret. I'm not sure the clear bit is useable due to the size, but the interior bits will definitely find a home in the Stirling. Finally, Chris @stringbag has produced some fantastic 48 scale drawings that will allow me to progress now. I'm working on the wings currently and have a plan to use some spring steel and brass boxing that Chris gave me to build the wing spars. I need to get the structural work done before returning to the detailing of the fuselage and gear bays.

Here's the resin from Alain..

26384071717_e51b839a9e_b_d.jpg

26384071547_becb04dce0_b_d.jpg

Here's some photo's of the drawings and material for the wing spars. I've suggested Chris can make a nice little retirement business out of producing drawings, although I'm worried this might stop him from getting any paint on his growing stash of wingless airliners :P

26384071397_1158aece59_b_d.jpg

26384071177_96448909b2_b_d.jpg

26384071017_e41362cc56_b_d.jpg

Overall, the dimensions of the Sanger kit don't look too bad when compared with the drawings. I'm busy currently adding plasticard to the inner surfaces of the wings to strengthen them up as the plastic is very thin.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 17

Hi Neil.

I hate to tell you but.................. You have copied the plan back to front.  The exhaust stacks and the nav blister should be on the starboard side.

Don't know why I'm pointing this out after your sarky comment about airliners .  :tease:

Chris.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1