Sanger 1/48 Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC - Finished at last!

woody37

Finally finished the sub components tonight, hopefully I can get the assemblies welded together tomorrow. Once all the soldering has been completed, I'll start to build up the finer detail with plasticard. There's a good chance it will be finished in 2018 now although the year book will be a bit empty 😂

This is the jig I made up. All the parts were cut to length first, soldering them didn't take long.

46234549601_7eb37416f1_b_d.jpg

46234549521_4c64754c7a_b_d.jpg

• Like 15

30 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Finally finished the sub components tonight, hopefully I can get the assemblies welded together tomorrow. Once all the soldering has been completed, I'll start to build up the finer detail with plasticard. There's a good chance it will be finished in 2018 now although the year book will be a bit empty 😂

This is the jig I made up. All the parts were cut to length first, soldering them didn't take long.

46234549601_7eb37416f1_b_d.jpg

46234549521_4c64754c7a_b_d.jpg

You are doing a great job there Neil,... tick off yet another new skill there eh mate!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tonyot said:

You are doing a great job there Neil,... tick off yet another new skill there eh mate!

Cheers

Tony

Cheers mate, there's a few new skills been picked up in this build, quite enjoying the soldering now :)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, woody37 said:

There's a good chance it will be finished in 2018 now although the year book will be a bit empty 😂

Don't worry about the quantity Neil, the quality of your workmanship more than compensates. Those undercarriage sub assemblies are a works of art in themselves. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cngaero said:

Don't worry about the quantity Neil, the quality of your workmanship more than compensates. Those undercarriage sub assemblies are a works of art in themselves. 

Thanks Chris, there's been a few contributions to the swear box recently but they're not looking too bad now. The soldering is pretty much complete now so the next step is adding the detail in plastic

46249627311_cccfa99fd5_b_d.jpg

46249627221_2b64c7cd17_b_d.jpg

45525855644_9379b027ab_b_d.jpg

• Like 21

My word they're very special! (If I typed what I actually thought when I saw them I'd be banned!)

Beautiful work, and inspiring, as I have to do a similar job to build the main gear for my Airfix Battle in the not-too-distant future.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, limeypilot said:

My word they're very special! (If I typed what I actually thought when I saw them I'd be banned!)

Beautiful work, and inspiring, as I have to do a similar job to build the main gear for my Airfix Battle in the not-too-distant future.

Ian

Loving the progress on your Battle, I recon, there will be an announcement in Jan for a new one....you have aligned the planet for us!

Little progress over the last week but started to add some plastic bits to the soldered frame. I'm starting with the mud guards. The frames are wedged between the legs (oooeer!!) and secured with some CA glue. Not perfect, but starting to look more like the gear assembly now. A dry fit of one of the legs to the gear bay shows my measuring to be a little out so some slight modifications were required to the gear bay rear locations but not a big issue to sort. 

46277015102_8d558a0102_b_d.jpg

46277015042_032b85e436_b_d.jpg

46277014962_770cff297e_b_d.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, CJP said:

Fabulous work on the landing gear legs - looking forward to a photo of the Stirling with them fitted.

CJP

Cheers, here's a few of the current progress. Getting the angles right on the build was quite challenging, but fingers crossed, the gear, the wings and the fuselage angles all look pretty good.

2 hours ago, mick b said:

Sterling work Neil....I’ll get my :coat:. Seriously though, superb stuff and learning a new skill is all part of modelling in my opinion and I’m so glad I saw it at nearly complete Telford.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, not sure if we spoke whilst there, I was wondering round quite bit.

I've been adding more plastic, still lots to go before they'll be painted. Whilst I had the camera out, thought I'd snap a few of the rear wheels and bomb carriers. Not sure how accurate the positioning of the bomb carriers are, but they won't be seen unless I sit it over a mirror!

31390938607_61f371020a_b_d.jpg

31390938477_e6dd188b49_b_d.jpg

31390938457_84ecdc8c46_b_d.jpg

31390938347_148dcdfcb0_b_d.jpg

There's still some gubbins to add to the rear gear bay yet, the retraction gear and doors. I used the white metal parts from the Sanger kit and pinned with brass rod and added the rear scrapers?? out of plasticard.

31390938267_b0fefe0137_b_d.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 15

Hi Neil

Wow the undercarriage legs look fantastic. Great work and I like the jigs you made for soldering. I use blue tack usually but not anymore I am going to nick, ahem, sorry use your idea. Thanks for the idea. 

She's a real beauty.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

18 hours ago, woody37 said:

Thanks Mike, not sure if we spoke whilst there, I was wondering round quite bit.

Unfortunately not but the entire display was excellent.....as an aside which make of paint did you use for the underside black, although I assume it has been weathered somewhat? 

Cheers Mike

1 hour ago, mick b said:

Unfortunately not but the entire display was excellent.....as an aside which make of paint did you use for the underside black, although I assume it has been weathered somewhat? 

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks, it was great to have a full 48 scale line up :)

I used Tamiya rubber black. There has been some weathering but I only tend to add a bit of white to create tonal variations. 

Got a bit more done this afternoon on the gear. On the whole, pretty pleased with the result, I'll be using brass more often now I can get the ruddy bits to stick together!

32469094378_55f1d2869f_b_d.jpg

32469094318_d4389fbd8f_b_d.jpg

32469094238_3c3db391d6_b_d.jpg

32469094148_64158ff76b_b_d.jpg

32469094088_0d8b1324ff_b_d.jpg

44524227280_890ef1d020_b_d.jpg

• Like 9

Just caught up with this Neil, on Chris's recommendation. What an enjoyable read and stunning work there, particularly the soldering. I'm in awe of it all!

On 10/12/2018 at 00:22, stringbag said:

Looking forward to seeing them with some paint on.

Heard that before have you Chris?  :tease:

• Haha 2