Sanger 1/48 Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC - Finished at last!

woody37

4 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Hopefully you have some informative emails Neil :)

John

Thanks John :)

34 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

That interior looks magnificent Neil as do those pukka transparencies. :thumbsup:

Do you mind me asking where you source your PETG from? I've been looking for some reliably high quality stuff for vacforming.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I got mine from Ebay, just ordered some more, linky here :)

I'm new to this stuff, but the sheets I bought a while ago do the trick but with the size of the parts on this, I need some thicker sheets (1mm)

More progress on the interior this afternoon. I've corrected the positioning of the glycol tank (Thanks John :) ) and there's a few errors but I'm going to leave them as they are, I'd rather spend more time on the external areas which are clearly visible. That said, the seats are quite prominent and quite complicated so they took a few hours but quite happy with how they turned out using photo's from the Stirling Project (need to arrange another visit John @12jaguar :) ). The seat cushions should be thicker so I may drop some on top of what is already there. I've also started to fit the bomb bay cross members. There will be over 250 pieces in there not including the door detail once its done! I've got some detail to add behind the rear access door for what will be visible and need to make some new control columns because I can't find the ones Alain gave me! All being well, we may get some paint on the interior tomorrow. I haven't taken the radio out yet, although incorrect, it adds some detail but I've got time to decide.

42501483050_31f06ecf71_o_d.jpg

42501483580_f7fc7c2c61_o_d.jpg

42501483870_680a27670e_b_d.jpg

42501482710_f04a1d751e_o_d.jpg

43403285665_3a06ffc6a7_b_d.jpg

• Like 17

Come on that man, this should be done and dusted by now...never seen so much slacking in the ranks......(except for my FM Hampden, Buccaneer and everything else) 

Great job on the interior, as you say not an awful lot will be visible (well, except of course for absolutely everything under that lovely big canopy :coolio: )...

• Haha 2

Wow Neil  interior is looking stunning and great work on the transparencies. I would love to be able to vacform parts but at the moment I think this is beyond me.  Really good to see this build progressing well. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Come on that man, this should be done and dusted by now...never seen so much slacking in the ranks......(except for my FM Hampden, Buccaneer and everything else) 

Great job on the interior, as you say not an awful lot will be visible (well, except of course for absolutely everything under that lovely big canopy :coolio: )...

The reason I'm dragging is because I keep logging in to see if you've made any progress on them....I want them both finished for Telford, there's a good chap 😴

33 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow Neil  interior is looking stunning and great work on the transparencies. I would love to be able to vacform parts but at the moment I think this is beyond me.  Really good to see this build progressing well. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Cheers mate.

To be honest Chris, I have many of the same thoughts, the only way to know is to try! This is only my second vac form kit, the first ended up in the bin! So many learnings on this one :)

you want to see the swear box, the table is buckling under its weight 😂

• Like 3

That's scary Bill because I haven't grown up yet 😂

I'm not too worried about the seam as there is a hefty frame that sits under it, so it will all get glued and the canyon will be filled with yet more car filler scooped out of the tub in the cups of my hands (wearing gloves of course!!). I'm more concerned with the clear parts. I'm hoping I can fit the turret after assembly, but I have a fear that it may have to go in before which will slow down getting the halves together. Also need to form the lower bomb aimers window to measure how wide the fuselage needs to be. All I want to do is get the decals on now, but its not ready yet 😜

The hardest part is using the Airmodeller build by Megas Tsonos as a reference and realising how much of a gap there is between my build and his, I think it has to be the best model I've ever seen, I'd love him to take it to Telford.

Been painting the cockpit this morning and quite pleased with it. There more detail to go in yet (curtains etc) but this is how it stands at the moment....

44318525472_6570737881_o_d.jpg

44318525302_b48ef2a07d_o_d.jpg

44318525062_f7d34eaa95_b_d.jpg

44318524852_bbb8bec1a0_o_d.jpg

44318524522_64c4f241dc_o_d.jpg

44318524282_accf84342a_b_d.jpg

44318524082_c1e75eac7f_b_d.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

That cockpit looks exceptional - really impressive. 

I too have the Megas Tsonos articles and have to agree it’s probably the best build I’ve seen. It’s a great reference for the Stirling and I’ll be using it extensively when I get back to mine. 

In the meantime, I’m loving sitting back and watching you do the hard graft! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomprobert said:

That cockpit looks exceptional - really impressive. 

I too have the Megas Tsonos articles and have to agree it’s probably the best build I’ve seen. It’s a great reference for the Stirling and I’ll be using it extensively when I get back to mine. 

In the meantime, I’m loving sitting back and watching you do the hard graft! 

Thanks guys.

Tom, we need to have a few words, there's far too much dust on your Stirling at the moment, it's needing to be finished 😵

I got the thicker plastic delivered today so been playing around this afternoon. I've formed the front turret parts and run a copy of the cockpit off, but got a few blemishes in it for various self inflicted reasons so I'll do another tomorrow. Despite the setbacks (well, learning I guess you'd call it), I'm confident from todays experimentation that it's going the right way and I think I can get the turret in after the build.

• Like 1

Magnificent innardry. :thumbsup:

These aircraft always looked like massive slabs of flying structure from the outside but the way that you've given substance to that interior is nothing short of architectural Neil.

• Like 2

You inherited a real challange , but are facing it extremely well!!!

Those interiors were already wonderful before being painted , but now they're absolutely outstanding!!!

Looking forward to see the next improvements!!!

• Like 1

This is a bit incredible. Barmy & bonkers too but mainly incredible, the skills you are using to fettle this kit into something like this leave me truly amazed. I've just had a catchup & simply love what I'me seeing, the Stirling being a favourite since I built my first nearly 50 years ago. The second is still in the box. :)

Steve.

• Like 2