Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

woody37

Sanger 1/48 Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC - Finished at last!

Recommended Posts

On 11/13/2018 at 11:21 PM, Radleigh said:

@woody37 - Neil good to catch up on the Saturday, shame I could only be there 40-50 minutes... but that's life. I was there Sunday most of the day, left around 1500.. I came over to the BC table twice and no one was about so I just grabbed the one photo of the Manchester and Stirling. Are you doing Bolton? Be good to see both again and have a proper look and photo them! 

 

From what I saw, they are absolutely stunning. Hats off to you! 

 

 

 

Thanks @Radleigh, just noticed the photos and they are superb as always. Yes, I’ll be at Bolton so see you there :)

 

have you uploaded all all your photos of the show yet onto your website? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the pleasure of seeing her last Sunday but was a bit overawed by the amount of, and quality of models on display in the whole show and especially the VC recipients on the BC table,   I had read this thread before I went and was glad to have seen her in the flesh?.  

 

Next time I go to a show I shall have to have a plan instead of walking around aimlessly, drooling, similar to when I visited the Hannant’s shop in Lowestoft.  

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HomerJ_757 said:

Had the pleasure of seeing her last Sunday but was a bit overawed by the amount of, and quality of models on display in the whole show and especially the VC recipients on the BC table,   I had read this thread before I went and was glad to have seen her in the flesh?.  

 

Next time I go to a show I shall have to have a plan instead of walking around aimlessly, drooling, similar to when I visited the Hannant’s shop in Lowestoft.  

 

Ian

A plan? Every time I go, I walk round aimlessly, like a kid who’s lived a sheltered life  in a huge sweet shop 😂

 

tonight, the modelling area has received a spring clean....6 months out of date, but needed! Don’t you hate it when you stock up on things at Telford only to find you wasn’t out of stock on things? That’s the realisation from the autumn clean! Tomorrow, it’s back on with the Stirling, Paul our BC sig gal gave me some etch bomb carriers so I’ll be cracking on with the underneathy stuff that doesn’t require soldering. I was speaking with @tomprobert at Telford who re ommended using plastic with brass inserts for the undercarriage so that’s the back up plan. I want to learn how to solder, I’m 47 now so it’s about time I develop that skill! The Manchester also has some stuff to finish off underneath so that will be getting done too. Both will get some bombs from the Tamiya lancaster at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wandering around drooling is good.  It’s all most of us manage.  Plus the odd beer.  [Not simultaneously, obvs]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Wandering around drooling is good.  It’s all most of us manage.  Plus the odd beer.  [Not simultaneously, obvs]

I never got round to a beer but would of been a good call!

 

Today I had a go at bending the PE bomb carriers that Paul gave me. I say 'had a go' because that's all I did. Them things are enough to put you in a nut house so I compromised and made approximate renditions from plasticard strip using some of the PE bits glued on. Also started on the white metal tail wheels that came with the kit. I tried to drill and pin an axle through the wheel but the legs are too thin to drill through. I'm hoping the super glue holds it together but there's some weight below this monster

 

45031107725_c926d9f0ca_b_d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, not many updates since Telford but last weekend I had a lesson in soldering off my good mate Chris @stringbag. This morning I've had an unsupervised play with solder and it's working :)

 

The main problem was the liquid solder that I was using, I guess it was evaporating far too quickly so moving to a paste formula has significantly improved things. There was also some subtle touches that he shown me like dipping the solder in flux and the soldering iron tip too and just like magic, everything works like you see in the videos! What I've also found is that I can leave the parts in the wooden jig to keep everything in the right place and there's no burning happening. I need to so some filing to clean the solders up, but I'm pleased with what I've got so far.

 

You wouldn't believe how excited I am now as this has been the major stumbling block, it's been procrastination city here in Woodyland 😂

 

As an aside, I haven't taken any photos but the rear gear and bomb carriers are now painted and fitted.

 

31189276827_5f57cd1f33_b_d.jpg

 

31189276757_16af5c62a2_b_d.jpg

 

44311983980_979eaaf1db_b_d.jpg

 

I found some great pics on Facebook of an undercarriage leg retrieved from a crash site which are great reference photo's. I can't remember where I got them from so can't add a credit to them so apologise if it's someone you know. If you know who it is, I'll gladly add a credit to them...

 

32257325648_b05331ca89_b_d.jpg

 

32257325548_5537a7cc09_b_d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That undercarriage is looking great Neil. It's amazing how much better your leg is compared to the kit part. 

There'll be no stopping you now you're a soldering ace!

I'm going to have to get some lessons from Chris as there are lots of things I've been meaning to build but always been too scared of soldering everything together.

Cheers,

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job, soldering isn't one of my favourite things either, I can just about manage motorbike electrical connectors but that's it, great to see the photo of the real thing as well.

 

Cheers

 

Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, woody37 said:

 but last weekend I had a lesson in soldering off my good mate Chris @stringbag. This morning I've had an unsupervised play with solder and it's working :)

 

Glad it's worked Matey :thumbsup:

 

3 hours ago, Turbofan said:

I'm going to have to get some lessons from Chris as there are lots of things I've been meaning to build but always been too scared of soldering everything together.

Ian

Courses start in January Ian.  :tease:

 

Chris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great soldering, Woody.  I too used to have a mental block about it, but @hendie suggested a couple of tweaks to my technique and suddenly the penny dropped.  It’s a skill well worth acquiring, and that u/c leg suggests you’ve nailed it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

that u/c leg suggests you’ve nailed it!

No, It's all soldered.  Honest!! :wicked:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Turbofan said:

That undercarriage is looking great Neil. It's amazing how much better your leg is compared to the kit part. 

There'll be no stopping you now you're a soldering ace!

I'm going to have to get some lessons from Chris as there are lots of things I've been meaning to build but always been too scared of soldering everything together.

Cheers,

Ian

His hourly rates aren't cheap though, I had to endure 3 of his cups of tea 😂

 

Joking aside, it's helped me immensely, highly recommended

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Great soldering, Woody.  I too used to have a mental block about it, but @hendie suggested a couple of tweaks to my technique and suddenly the penny dropped.  It’s a skill well worth acquiring, and that u/c leg suggests you’ve nailed it!

It's great when you get over a block isn't it? Another string to the modelling bow :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smashing work on those legs Neil: looks like you've been soldering for years already.

A lot of us have hendie to thank for putting us in the way of hot metal! :nodding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Smashing work on those legs Neil: looks like you've been soldering for years already.

A lot of us have hendie to thank for putting us in the way of hot metal! :nodding:

Looks like I've missed something somewhere then, I'm often dangling behind the rest 😂

 

Great to be catching up to the professionals anyway :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Woody

 

totally missed this, great progress on the old girl. I think the crashed u/c id either in Holland or Belgium, can't recall exactly

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great soldering Neil the U/C leg looked lovely and will be plenty strong enough to hold up your cracking model.

 

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kev67 said:

 

Thanks Kev. I've got a moving 3d drawing of the rear gear, I've yet to add the framework, only the undercarriage legs are in currently.

 

I finished the second leg earlier. Once the framework is done, the details will be built up using plasticard, this is quite a busy arrangement so lot's of opportunity to mask the imperfections in the soldering fortunately. 

 

32277966938_4640278eb8_b_d.jpg

 

31209898137_f6ab5c690b_b_d.jpg

 

A few weeks ago, I upgraded to the paid version of Flickr. I moved from Photobucket a few years ago due to it being painfully slow. Whilst it was nice FlickR being free, the new price they charge for annual storage is reasonable in my opinion. It's easy to use and the performance is excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work on the undercarriage Neil, yes to a dark art on soldering. If I may, if you 'tin' the the lower section of the oleos, and then buff the solder, it may just look like the shiny plating.

 

Colin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely work on the gear legs. I'm trying to solder some bits for my Battle at the moment, 3 out of 5 fell apart when I tried to clean them up! But, the two that stayed together were the last 2 I did, so I'll leave the iron to heat up for longer next time!

I did the same re Photobucket/Flickr and have also paid. It's not the fee I object to, it's the backdating to cover all previous photos and holding us to ransom! 

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Great work on the undercarriage Neil, yes to a dark art on soldering. If I may, if you 'tin' the the lower section of the oleos, and then buff the solder, it may just look like the shiny plating.

 

Colin

Thanks Colin, that's a good idea. I'm not quite at the stage of such control to get an even spread of solder across the surface but now that I can do it, I'm rather enjoying it. I'm making the drag links as we speak, themselves a complex arrangement but the wooden jig is doing the job well.

 

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely work on the gear legs. I'm trying to solder some bits for my Battle at the moment, 3 out of 5 fell apart when I tried to clean them up! But, the two that stayed together were the last 2 I did, so I'll leave the iron to heat up for longer next time!

I did the same re Photobucket/Flickr and have also paid. It's not the fee I object to, it's the backdating to cover all previous photos and holding us to ransom! 

 

Ian

It's a great addition to the skill set though don't you think? and actually pretty quick as the joins are dry in a second! perfect for any modeller lacking patience 😂

 

Yes, I'm happy with FlickR, they have approached it in a much better way than Photobucket did and I respect them for that. I hope they don't start twiddling with the website though as it works well, no need to fix something that isn't broke. My bank could do with taking that advice with their online system, I can never find anything anymore!

 

Cheers

Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, heloman1 said:

If I may, if you 'tin' the the lower section of the oleos, and then buff the solder, it may just look like the shiny plating.

Colin

That's a damned good idea Colin.  The solder can be buffed for sure and as you say, could look very convincing.  👍

 

Chris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, stringbag said:

That's a damned good idea Colin.  The solder can be buffed for sure and as you say, could look very convincing.  👍

Give it a good coat of clear gloss too, or it'll tarnish over time ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×