Sanger 1/48 Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC - Finished at last!

woody37

After a mad day, the black is on and so are most of the decals. I've used the Colorado roundels for their faded look which once weathered will look quite natural. The grey serials are Xtradecal. There's a variety of code formats ont internet for this aircraft, red, grey, large and small but from the 149Sqn photo's I've comer across, they all have the larger grey letters so that's what I've gone for.

The bomb bay is quite sparse, but when I come to do the undercarriage, I'll add a bit more detail and some bombs in. It's looking like a Stirling now :)

45670178892_bc41383891_b_d.jpg

45670178792_29633a0cc2_b_d.jpg

45670178742_1657a2d5ae_b_d.jpg

45720843511_0604760877_b_d.jpg

• Like 33

Oh my word Neil,..... that looks great and the paintwork is amazing,.... as is the surface detail that you`ve added!

Is it just a trick of the angles,..... or is the rear fuselage a bit short?

Cheers

Tony.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Oh my word Neil,..... that looks great and the paintwork is amazing,.... as is the surface detail that you`ve added!

Is it just a trick of the angles,..... or is the rear fuselage a bit short?

Cheers

Tony.

I think it's the photo mate, proportions look pretty good. Just the 8" serials to go on then it's weathering and matting down. Just hope the clear parts look OK once the masks are removed.

• Like 1

I've been following along with your build Neil, but haven't commented before because I've been pretty much lost for words to describe such excellent modelling - but I really wanted to say that wih the decals going on she looks absolutely stupendous! 

Keith

• Like 1

Watched this from afar as heard that many good things as regards what you are supplied to work with.  Having said that I still have two in the stash to mess up.

Meantime I have really enjoyed the masterclass in how to make a silk purse. Bravo

If Airfix announce a 1/48 Stirling at Telford we will all buy you a very large drink each.

• Haha 2

Hi Neil,

You missed a bit! :tomato:

I reckon you've still got time for a Blenheim before Telford. :frantic:

Seriously though, this is really looking good now, looking forward to seeing it on Saturday!

One quick question, do you spray or brush your Kleer coat?

Cheers,

Ian

• Haha 1

Well Neil, I can't believe it's the same crappy kit you started with.  That's one hell of a result considering the problems you've had.

Well done Matey.

If this weekend's progress is anything to go by then she will be up on the undercarriage by Wednesday.  👍

Chris.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I've been following along with your build Neil, but haven't commented before because I've been pretty much lost for words to describe such excellent modelling - but I really wanted to say that wih the decals going on she looks absolutely stupendous! 

Keith

Me too 👍

• Like 1

Beautiful job on the old girl, Neil! I wish I could be at to Telford to see it in the flesh (or polystyrene/filler), but that's a bit far from Texas for me to make it.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnT said:

Watched this from afar as heard that many good things as regards what you are supplied to work with.  Having said that I still have two in the stash to mess up.

Meantime I have really enjoyed the masterclass in how to make a silk purse. Bravo

If Airfix announce a 1/48 Stirling at Telford we will all buy you a very large drink each.

Ha ha, if they do, I wonder if they have any undercarriage sets already made up 😂

7 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Neil,

You missed a bit! :tomato:

I reckon you've still got time for a Blenheim before Telford. :frantic:

Seriously though, this is really looking good now, looking forward to seeing it on Saturday!

One quick question, do you spray or brush your Kleer coat?

Cheers,

Ian

I was supposed to get a Blenheim done but Paul our Sig leaders has stepped in to bail me out!

i spray the Kleer on for speed but it doesn’t give as smooth a finish as brushing. 

7 hours ago, stringbag said:

Well Neil, I can't believe it's the same crappy kit you started with.  That's one hell of a result considering the problems you've had.

Well done Matey.

If this weekend's progress is anything to go by then she will be up on the undercarriage by Wednesday.  👍

Chris.

I had a go with the new butane torch matey and I was just as incompetent with that so I’ll be calling for that lesson! No matter what I did, the solder just beads and runs off so I’m at a loss at the moment.

6 hours ago, Learstang said:

Beautiful job on the old girl, Neil! I wish I could be at to Telford to see it in the flesh (or polystyrene/filler), but that's a bit far from Texas for me to make it.

Regards,

Jason

Texas isn’t far! Be good if you could get over some time though.

thanks for all the kind comments, at least there will be something with colour on for Telford now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, woody37 said:

I had a go with the new butane torch matey and I was just as incompetent with that so I’ll be calling for that lesson! No matter what I did, the solder just beads and runs off so I’m at a loss at the moment.

Sounds like too much heat there Neil.

I'll give you a call this evening.

Chris.

• Like 1