Sanger 1/48 Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC - Finished at last!

woody37

15 hours ago, woody37 said:

If anyone has any spare beaufighter props (4 off!), I'd be most grateful, I guess I'm hoping rather than expecting!

Hello . I ' m a silent reader on this one . Awesome work, I have to say. Looks really great by now.

If you search for props, you could conctact Revell of Germany on their Abteilung X for spare parts and conversions. They do a new tooled Beaufighter:

AbteilungX
> Revell AG
> Henschelstrasse 20-30
> D-32257 Buende / Germany
> Tel.: +49 5223 965-0
> Fax: +49 5223 965-488

A call does not cost anything. Cheers

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind comments gents :)

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello . I ' m a silent reader on this one . Awesome work, I have to say. Looks really great by now.

If you search for props, you could conctact Revell of Germany on their Abteilung X for spare parts and conversions. They do a new tooled Beaufighter:

AbteilungX
> Revell AG
> Henschelstrasse 20-30
> D-32257 Buende / Germany
> Tel.: +49 5223 965-0
> Fax: +49 5223 965-488

A call does not cost anything. Cheers

That’s a good idea, thanks :)

• Like 2

Before any paint can go on, the canopy and bomb aimers panel need fixing in to place so I worked on the canopy yesterday. The frames shapes were temporarily made from Tamiya stretchy mask and solar trim and then masking tape used to fill the windows in before removing the frames ready for painting. There's still some more detail to go inside the canopy before it's fixed in to place. I'm sure Alain gave me a resin insert for the upper panel but I couldn't find it so had to make a new one. I used the Air Modeller build as a guide although his is about 20 times better!

Edit, just noticed I've done the quarter panels at the sides wrong so they need amending!

30637483657_4d63565b48_b_d.jpg

45578608971_38d83fa0b8_b_d.jpg

45578609051_be113f862f_b_d.jpg

Next step is finishing the detail in the canopy and getting the bomb aimer window done in the same way then I think we're on to paint.

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Paint

The eyes of the world will be upon you !!

Not only, we also have a @Martian Hale

I don't remember how many eyes this alien has...

Great job, I'm really glad to see her almost finished, such a big challenge !!

:mike:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

Thanks Alain, 

The end is at last kind of in sight. I've finished the canopy now and fitted the bomb aimer panel but the fuselage needs some filler around the edges yet.

Here's the canopy detail, I'll fix it down once the work on the bomb aimer panel is done

31711333578_2254c1db05_b_d.jpg

• Like 13

Enjoying this build, and wondering where you'll be displaying the Halifax at Telford?

A Sig or a club stand?

Edited by Whofan
Clarify a point

28 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Enjoying this build, and wondering where you'll be displaying the Halifax at Telford?

A Sig or a club stand?

It will be on the Bomber Command stall. We are only displaying 1/48 this year. The Manchester will be there too as it was another VC winner

25462064607_74cc4571ed_b_d.jpg

Looking forwards to see what the other lads have been busy beavering away at too :)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

You wouldn't believe seeing it at this stage this is a vac form kit!!!

Those fuselage and wings remind me the Eduard Spit!!!

Can't wait to see some paint on her!!!

I've followed the Manchester and Linoln builds and this is going to be another masterpiece!!!

Are there any other builds I may have lost in the past?

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 2

I read through the Manchester thread. Truely inspiring. I can really see why you got the Stirling to do.

I'm doing something similar except with the German 1/48 bombers. I'm finishing off my Do 217E then the next project is a pair of Ju 188's. The ju188A-1 and theu Ju188E-1. I have just forked out quite a lot of money on resin and brass parts. I won't be any where close to your build standard, but I'm hoping to have improved by the time I finish the last one. I had planned to only do the Ju 188E-1, but found the A-1 on eBay the other day, so I just had to have it. Been wanting one for years and on seeing your builds it has confirmed to me to do a double build.

Edited by Greg Law

11 hours ago, massimo said:

You wouldn't believe seeing it at this stage this is a vac form kit!!!

Those fuselage and wings remind me the Eduard Spit!!!

Can't wait to see some paint on her!!!

I've followed the Manchester and Linoln builds and this is going to be another masterpiece!!!

Are there any other builds I may have lost in the past?

Ciao

Massimo

Thanks Massimo, these are the first dive into 1/48 bombers since being a nipper but fancy doing the Wellington at some point too.

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I read through the Manchester thread. Truely inspiring. I can really see why you got the Stirling to do.

I'm doing something similar except with the German 1/48 bombers. I'm finishing off my Do 217E then the next project is a pair of Ju 188's. The ju188A-1 and theu Ju188E-1. I have just forked out quite a lot of money on resin and brass parts. I won't be any where close to your build standard, but I'm hoping to have improved by the time I finish the last one. I had planned to only do the Ju 188E-1, but found the A-1 on eBay the other day, so I just had to have it. Been wanting one for years and on seeing your builds it has confirmed to me to do a double build.

Hi Greg,

im looking forwards to seeing your German bomber collection, I would like to do the same at some point, especially now we have a good he111. The Ju188 Is my favourite so please do a WIP for me to drool over! I built the Matchbox one as a kid and the Italeri one some time later but 1/48 would look great.

last night I had to fill all the seams around the bomb Aimee’s window resulting in it needing polishing and remaking so that’s todays job. That’s not easy with a 1/48 Stirling, it’s heavy and difficult to manoeuvre! I’m also going to paint the engines and collector rings so that they can be masked and fitted prior to the main paint job. Still lots to do 😱

• Like 2

Been working on the engines today. I've been trying to figure out how to make short exhaust stacks as the resin ones I've got are the longer ones found on the Mk.III. I cut the first one and made a bit of a mess with it, but simply filed the others to the right(ish) shape. Now the more I research the Mk.I's, the more variations I notice on both the exhausts and carb intakes, each one appears to be a one off!!! So give the limitations in materials and skill, this is what we have at the close of play for the weekend with the canopy now glued on and the bomb aimers panel tidied up...

44688410275_6111ae894a_b_d.jpg

44688410145_2b5d84fd49_b_d.jpg

44688410105_984b827cd3_b_d.jpg

44688409995_fe4487fc0e_b_d.jpg

44688409895_491a64f4eb_b_d.jpg

30661507447_166aa0a05d_b_d.jpg

I'm going to paint the engines and collector rings then they will be masked whilst the engines are fitted and the main paint can go on so I'm hoping to be on the paint mid week :)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, stringbag said:

Really coming together now Neil.

Did your soldering torch arrive?

Chris.

It did mate but it isn’t working so needs to go back. I’ve put the UC to one side now to get the painting done, if I have time, I’ll pick it back up once painting is done.

cheers