Sanger 1/48 Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC - Finished at last!

woody37

On 9/9/2018 at 10:41 AM, AdrianMF said:

On my F-111 build I rubbed the bottom of the fuselage vigorously with a nylon running shirt and all the bits inside the canopy went away.

That sounds a wonderful piece of lateral thinking Adrian. Though I suspect one would need to draw the curtains first so that the neighbours can't see in....

• Haha 9

7 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Cracking work there Neil. That doesn't bear much resemblance to what you started with. However it looks more Stirlingly which is good.

In the nicest possible way I do hope this build does result in a decent kit coming along. I feel quite ashamed for not carrying on with my Blenheim IV now......

This is certainly going to be a jaw dropper when done. 

I’m with you on the new kit!

6 hours ago, Mike said:

I never believed it would ever get this far stuck on my shelf in bits after I gave up, but you've come a long way... I'll take it back now thanks :wicked:

It would still be there if you hadn’t of done ground work on it!

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That sounds a wonderful piece of lateral thinking Adrian. Though I suspect one would need to draw the curtains first so that the neighbours can't see in....

I often think what modelling must look like as people take a passing glance through the window given that I spend a big chunk of my time at the bench sanding things down 😂

5 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Lookin' wicked Neil...

Colin

Thanks Colin, hope you're well mate?

Todays progress is an unapologetic plug for the Stirling Project of which our very own @12jaguar John is a member. A couple of years ago, the BC lads took a trip over and as well as coming away with a great experience to remember, also came away with a mug of which often frequents the workbench. If he has any left, I'm sure he will welcome donations to support the project which unless we recover the reported aircraft in Russia after kissing and making up with them will be the most complete Stirling section we will ever get to see

29664183557_fae1d0ef74_b_d.jpg

And the other side of the mug...

29664183307_e6a94f7607_b_d.jpg

and the build so far with some panel lines on....and a few that need to move!

42791771010_b7deae6a41_b_d.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 9

Just tried to remove some of the window masks that I'd put down using masking fluid and they aren't peeling off. Looks like the Tamiya primer has welded itself to the masks so they will need to be sanded off. Time to fill the swear box because this has really put the build back :(

Cheers Neil for the unashamed plug :)

Glad to see the mug still survives on the workbench. Unfortunately we've run out of them but if anyone would like to see what we;re up to and donate the price of a pint (or 2 or 3 LOL), then head over to the address under my signature

cheers

John

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Amazing work Neil, Looking forward to see this in the plastic at Telford hopefully. Oh, and I have a feeling the Manchester will make some nice progress soon.
Cheers

Cees

Look forwards to seeing where you’re up to Cees :)

i sanded the sides of the fuselage back down this week after the maskol issues and part way through cutting new masks from Tamiya tape. As much as this has been a pain, I’m glad I found out now rather than after painting, that would been a coronary!

• 2 weeks later...

After the set back on the windows, we're now back to one step forwards. The fuselage has been completely rescribed, the bomb bay ribbing done and the big milestone being the tail feathers all glued on. Miliput will be used to do the blended fillets on the roots. Just need a bit more work to finished the rear gear bay off then it's back to the wings and engines. Still lots to do so the pressure is on for Telford.

43053125260_95ff80d2c5_b_d.jpg

43053125210_218edd1a1f_b_d.jpg

43053125160_6ec5be4c18_b_d.jpg

43053125070_9b47c1a75c_b_d.jpg

44814613912_327cf66b16_b_d.jpg

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Howard Moon said:

Neil,

Your scribing and riveting work looks really neat. What tools are you using? 

Hi Howard, 

I'm not sure, it's got a yellow handle and called Olfa cutter. 

It might look neat now, but don't be deceived by the end result, there was lots of mishaps throughout the week! I've been using blue car masking tape as a guide for the scriber as it's quite thick and gives a good edge to run against. Working on the engines now, these are proving very difficult because the wings are now upside down but you can't just turn the engines upside down if you want to keep them at the right level :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Hi Howard, 

I'm not sure, it's got a yellow handle and called Olfa cutter. 

It might look neat now, but don't be deceived by the end result, there was lots of mishaps throughout the week! I've been using blue car masking tape as a guide for the scriber as it's quite thick and gives a good edge to run against. Working on the engines now, these are proving very difficult because the wings are now upside down but you can't just turn the engines upside down if you want to keep them at the right level :(

Keep it up Neil, it’s looking great. One day I might be brave enough to tackle something like this. :)

• Like 1

Looking splendid Neil. She's a big old girl and will be most impressive when complete. Great job on the scribing too the P cutter is good but sometimes I find it snags and then when I  free it I invariably go further than I wanted to. Although in all fairness it is probably just me being hamfisted.

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

If I had come onto this build without reading the first part I would swear this is a production injection mould form one of the big mainstream companies and not a vac. I have this in my stash and if I can do half as good as this when the time comes I would consider  it a miracle. This is nothing short of magnificent.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kev67 said:

I can do vac forms, but this for me is totally above anything I could attempt with the level of detail you have added, and the time it has taken 10 out of 10, it would be great to see it at Telford

Kev, I’ve seen what you can do with a vac form, your Vanguard is good evidence of this. Are you bringing anything to Telford this year? Hoping to see your VC 10 as I’ve not seen it yet :)

9 hours ago, Howard Moon said:

Keep it up Neil, it’s looking great. One day I might be brave enough to tackle something like this. :)

I think these take insanity to tackle rather than bravery, I’m learning all the way through this!

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking splendid Neil. She's a big old girl and will be most impressive when complete. Great job on the scribing too the P cutter is good but sometimes I find it snags and then when I  free it I invariably go further than I wanted to. Although in all fairness it is probably just me being hamfisted.

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Hi Chris, there the issues I have, particularly if scribing over varying densities like on this kit. I wouldnt mind knowing what others use 

5 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

If I had come onto this build without reading the first part I would swear this is a production injection mould form one of the big mainstream companies and not a vac. I have this in my stash and if I can do half as good as this when the time comes I would consider  it a miracle. This is nothing short of magnificent.

Fingers crossed that we get one announced just as I finish it!

cheers

neil

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Chris, there the issues I have, particularly if scribing over varying densities like on this kit. I wouldnt mind knowing what others use 

Hi Neil 

I have also tried a cut down sewing needle in a pin vice  which works quite well against a dymo tape guide.  

Hope this helps. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Neil 

I have also tried a cut down sewing needle in a pin vice  which works quite well against a dymo tape guide.  

Hope this helps. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thats something worth trying Chris, thanks

7 hours ago, kev67 said:

Hi Neil

Yes the VC10 will be at Telford, hope to see you then, as you were not to well last year I was told

Can’t wait to see it, I had man flu last year of all the weekends :(

6 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

My gob just got smacked again! It's been happening a lot in this thread.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Well tonight, I spotted the 2 steps back. How, I don’t know but the tail planes weren’t aligned so had to break one of them off, scrape away the miliput fillet and reattach in the correct place. Fortunately removing it caused no further damage but not what I needed. One of them spots when all you can do is look in the mirror and say ‘what a plonka’ or words to that effect 🤪

• Like 2
  • Sad 1