Sanger 1/48 Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC - Finished at last!

woody37

10 hours ago, stringbag said:

I'd stick to building airliners if I were you Ian.  :rofl2:

Chris.

It seemed the obvious thing to say! :fool:I'm surprised it hadn't been said before Chris but yes give me an airliner any day!!✈️🛩️:penguin:

Cheers,

Ian

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, tomprobert said:

You’re certainly making impressive progress, Neil. It’s looking really good now the wing issue has been sorted - it’s made a huge difference to the look of the kit. 

As you're no doubt discovering, these vacs are marathon and not a sprint - and if the story of your life is anything like mine an injection-moulded one will be just around the corner!

I do hope so Tom, wouldn't that be sweet?

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:17 PM, SleeperService said:

As I'm not having to build it I'm quite enjoying following this. Lovely work so far I hope you keep your sanity 😨

As the wings are moulded upside down wouldn't it have been easier to just swop them over?? Or am I being thick.....

That's all I've done really, however as the nacelles were designed height wise for the upside down wing, they need correcting to fit now (curvature of the top and bottom parts are different) and all the surface detail needs to be filled and rescribed on the opposing service

Cheers guys :)

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, Turbofan said:

It seemed the obvious thing to say! :fool:I'm surprised it hadn't been said before Chris but yes give me an airliner any day!!✈️🛩️:penguin:

Cheers,

Ian

I'm looking forwards to seeing one of Chris's submarines painted up soon 😂

• Like 1

Very impressive work I must say. I find 1/72nd vacforms taxing enough and so 10/10 for courage and ingenuity. I have started a Contrail/Sanger Hendon, but did not get far when real life took over, I might get it out again after reading this thread. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 6:13 PM, Mr T said:

Very impressive work I must say. I find 1/72nd vacforms taxing enough and so 10/10 for courage and ingenuity. I have started a Contrail/Sanger Hendon, but did not get far when real life took over, I might get it out again after reading this thread. 

I’ve only attempted one vac form before, the very aircraft you mention. I fell at the first hurdle melting the wings with the type of glue I used to attach a spar! Hopefully, this will be the first I complete :)

I look forwards to seeing your progress if you get it out again 👍🏼

• Like 2

On 8/4/2018 at 5:42 PM, woody37 said:

I'm looking forwards to seeing one of Chris's submarines painted up soon 😂

Heard nothing from you for weeks and then you turn up with sarky comments.   :tease:

• Haha 1

Just stumbled on this build - Splendid work so far. I have plans to build a flying pose model of Middleton's aircraft as it was just before crashing, based on information in the book "Middleton VC" which gives a pretty detailed description of the damage. An amazingly brave, unselfish and dedicated man who for a while lived close by where I live. I also visited his grave in 2014 when in the UK.  My model will be using the ancient AIrfix kit. I will follow this build to see how you present his aircraft. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:12 AM, stringbag said:

Heard nothing from you for weeks and then you turn up with sarky comments.   :tease:

Ha ha, hope you're well mate, give you a call later :)

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:51 AM, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Just stumbled on this build - Splendid work so far. I have plans to build a flying pose model of Middleton's aircraft as it was just before crashing, based on information in the book "Middleton VC" which gives a pretty detailed description of the damage. An amazingly brave, unselfish and dedicated man who for a while lived close by where I live. I also visited his grave in 2014 when in the UK.  My model will be using the ancient AIrfix kit. I will follow this build to see how you present his aircraft. 

Hi Horatio, I certainly look forwards to seeing your build if you share it here. If this goes t*ts up, the crash position might be my only option for Telford 😂

What will you be considering in terms of damage and display for your build? Sounds like a great idea and tribute.

Been plodding on this week with the tail feathers. Needless to say, more filler and heavy sanding was required to remove the trench like panel lines and redo everything. The rudder ribs are yet to go on and one of the tail planes isn't detailed yet, but pleased with how they look....a little less vac formy!

43931245691_cd2445f6d7_b_d.jpg

43212589434_5d053858b6_o_d.jpg

• Like 13

It's amazing how much better those parts look for a dose of filler & primer! Good work on the gear bays Nelly - you'd barely recognise her now, apart from my grafitti all over the fuselage :lol:

• Like 1

Cheers uncle Mike!

yes, you and that damn blue marker 😂

tbh, without the work you’ve done, I wouldn’t of tackled this monster. I popped over to Rich Farrahs on Saturday and had a look at his kit mostly still on the sheets and it’s pretty scary what the blank canvas looks like 😬

hoping to get the wings, tail feathers and nacelles complete by end August then it’s full steam ahead on the fuselage.

cheers

Got the tail feathers finished last night so it's back to the wings and engines. I'm working on the other wing to bring it to the same level of progress as the one below then it will be just the engines before moving to the fuselage so I think I'm ahead of the plan...not that there is one, but that's a job for the weekend, to figure out what the main  challenges will be and if I have everything I need.

43062578365_96134fb310_b_d.jpg

43062578125_420efec2e9_b_d.jpg

43062577715_a0ec5dd97a_b_d.jpg

43967902561_97c1351b4c_b_d.jpg

• Like 14

It's been since Feb since I looked in here... so busy at the moment and I can't believe it's been that long. Still, a great few updates... really does look superb. Can't wait to see it in the flesh! 

Keep up the good work mate ;)

• Like 1

I love the Stirling - always been my favourite bomber. I still remember in the 70's as a kid receiving the Airfix model as a birthday gift. You are doing an amazing job - this is inspiring stuff and might just make me dig out and complete the much easier to build 1/48th FM Halifax that I have buried somewhere.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 10:03 PM, kev67 said:

Very impressive, you are certainly getting the hang of vac form modelling

I wouldn’t go as far as to say getting the hang of them, I’ve had to empty the swear box 3 time 😂

1 hour ago, crobinsonh said:

I love the Stirling - always been my favourite bomber. I still remember in the 70's as a kid receiving the Airfix model as a birthday gift. You are doing an amazing job - this is inspiring stuff and might just make me dig out and complete the much easier to build 1/48th FM Halifax that I have buried somewhere.

Thanks Colin, I hope you do a WIP on the Halifax. I keep a look out for them but they go for silly prices and then there’s the infamous challenge of getting it together!

58 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Neil 

Tail planes look great as someone said above what a difference with some paint on . It must be a real mojo booster too. The U/C bay looks amazing too fella. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Cheers Chris.

yes, doing the tail feathers has been quite enjoyable as I can see it taking shape. I’ve had a few issues with the other wing so it’s getting worked on. Now adding clear panels or all the windows and that’s as enjoyable as poking needles in my eyes 😅

cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Jean :)

Here's where I'm up to at the moment.

The wing root has a hump over the inner angine area and there isn't enough plastic to sand it any more than I have so I'm building the wing root up to level it off using plasticard and car filler (not applied yet). I did this with the other but was hoping that I didn't have to with this one. I sanded through the plastic so I used a Tamiya thin cement mixed with scrap sprue to fill the hole and provide enough strength to work on.

30123947488_9d2182537c_b_d.jpg

43992518431_f0cf3a0fe6_b_d.jpg

The other job is cutting sections out to insert clear plastic. I've sacrificed a Def Leppard CD case for the build so far. This is fiddly as I'm tring to get the clear plastic to sit at the same level as the kit part to minimise sanding, so it's one of them time consuming jobs with little visual impact until we start to get primer on.

30123947728_30f1f96020_b_d.jpg

My goal is to get the wing finished and clear parts fitted this week so that I can start on the interior details whilst fitting the engines.

• Like 7