Sanger 1/48 Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC - Finished at last!

woody37

2 minutes ago, woody37 said:

I was rushing at work doh! Not too worried about the stacks, they are much further down the line. Getting the engines in the right place is a nearer need 😂

Nice progress Neil

Thought something looked off the astrodome hatch should be on the stbd side :)

Will you be going to the MK modelshow?

John

• Sad 1

Hi Neil, just found your build thread, looking good, I like the work you have done to correct the shape at the rear and the bombay looks great. Good to see you are getting lots of support for fellow Bm'ers.

More power to your elbow mate.

Colin

• Like 1

Bloody hell Neil,..... you are a very brave man,..... but beating this thing into submission in a most convincing way! Is it worth looking out for a couple of cheap Tamiya Beaufighter`s to nick the engines and props? I have quite a few Stirling detail pics if you need anything in particular but most of all,.....good luck pal,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

On 06/04/2018 at 9:55 PM, 12jaguar said:

Nice progress Neil

Thought something looked off the astrodome hatch should be on the stbd side :)

Will you be going to the MK modelshow?

John

Thanks John, not even looked at the Astro yet. I’m currently working on the wing spar assembly and inner wing

On 13/04/2018 at 9:27 PM, tonyot said:

Bloody hell Neil,..... you are a very brave man,..... but beating this thing into submission in a most convincing way! Is it worth looking out for a couple of cheap Tamiya Beaufighter`s to nick the engines and props? I have quite a few Stirling detail pics if you need anything in particular but most of all,.....good luck pal,

Cheers

Tony

Brave or daft? I think the latter 😅

ive got some resin engines and cowls off Mike, just need some short carb intakes and props though. Could do with getting some cast.

cheers

neil

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

Thanks John, not even looked at the Astro yet. I’m currently working on the wing spar assembly and inner wing

Brave or daft? I think the latter 😅

ive got some resin engines and cowls off Mike, just need some short carb intakes and props though. Could do with getting some cast.

cheers

neil

I could so with some props too for my Fonderie Halifax as the kit ones don`t look right to me,...... was thinking of replacing the engine nacelles etc using Beaufighter ones too,... but I`ve not found two cheap kits yet! 

I`ll check my spares box for some Beau short carb intakes for you,.....even if I only have a couple you could use them as masters.

Brave or daft?,..... a bit of both maybe,...... but whatever the case you are beating it so far.

Cheers mate

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2018 at 3:13 PM, general melchett said:

Good start on the rear fuselage mate..... Jamie's right, Sanger parts can be a bit of a lottery. Careful planning and prep is needed, but then, that's half the 'fun' with vacs.

Good to know, I'll need to chat to him about my FM Hampden!

Hello General,

I will publish some Pics from Pierre soon,

All that photos are from the Cosford's Hampden,

May be getting it to the Walkaround section ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:52 AM, tonyot said:

I could so with some props too for my Fonderie Halifax as the kit ones don`t look right to me,...... was thinking of replacing the engine nacelles etc using Beaufighter ones too,... but I`ve not found two cheap kits yet! 

I`ll check my spares box for some Beau short carb intakes for you,.....even if I only have a couple you could use them as masters.

Brave or daft?,..... a bit of both maybe,...... but whatever the case you are beating it so far.

Cheers mate

Tony

Hi mate, just seen your comments sorry. If you do have any of the short intakes, that would be great. Even if you have one I can borrow, I may be able to copy it. definitely daft!!

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:18 AM, corsaircorp said:

Hello General,

I will publish some Pics from Pierre soon,

All that photos are from the Cosford's Hampden,

May be getting it to the Walkaround section ??

Sincerely.

CC

I look forwards to that Alain :)

Not much progress unfortunately recently due to 1-2-1 stuff but hope to get some done this long weekend. I've been working on the spar design. The spar will be made from spring steel that slides nicely into a brass sheath so the spring steel will be fixed through the fuselage and the brass parts glued inside plastic sections with the correct dihedral built in. This will be the main load bearer but the rear spar will be some kind of dowel, most likely 4mm aluminium.  

This is the drawing that Chris @stringbag drawn for me to use to manufacture the parts. The plastic section is made of 3 layers of 80 though card (2mm if you're a younger generation that me!). The 2 outer layers replicate the inner wing profile, the sandwiched parts ensure the wing spar sits parallel between the 2 wings...

27985533218_f1266aa937_b_d.jpg

This is the sections made up and located on the fuselage, all looking good so far.

27985533408_54b486f7b5_b_d.jpg

Ignore the fuel tank panels on this because this is the lower wing, not the upper wing...confused?

The wing profile isn't quite right so the easiest way forwards that I could think of is to create a correct wing root profile (again, thanks to Chris's drawing) out of the 80 thou card that I will use to force the wing to the right shape. I'm expecting this to be a painful experience so P38 car filler is stocked up ready to tidy things up. The inner wings have been lined with sheets of plasticard to overcome the flimsiness and allow some heavy sanding and filling to take place once the basic shapes are together. Key to this step is adding the wing root section at the correct angle to align with the dihedral, so I'm planning to add some sections of plastic with the right angle inside the wing for the root profile to butt against. I'm well outside my comfort zone here so sometimes wondering if I've lost the plot but I'm still well and truly in the fight!!!! It's a good time to stick the Rocky IV sound track on I reckon 😂

27985533068_7a40da946f_b_d.jpg

It's all very messy on the workbench at the moment but I need to get the structure sorted before moving back to the detailing. Looking forwards to getting some detail in that big cockpit area :)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

It's looking well now Neil, I cant wait for the day you slide those wings into place for the first time. 

keeping everything crossed for you Matey

Chris.

• Like 1

woody37, with reference to prop blades,do you think Falcon's white metal blades from their vac Beaufighter might work?

Ian

Edited by Kais
insert ID

• 2 months later...

Hi Neil,

It’s all gone a little quiet here... any more progress to share? 

Hope all all is well,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, tomprobert said:

Hi Neil,

It’s all gone a little quiet here... any more progress to share? 

Hope all all is well,

Tom

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, limeypilot said:

I do hope he's alright, and didn't drop one of those bloody great wings on his foot or something!

Ian

Hi guys,

sorry for my lack of progress and participation on Britmodeller over the last few months.

This project has really tested my abilities and patience. Working on real life has been the perfect opportunity to shy away from the challenge, but having completed the 1/1 projects I set out to do this year and a needed break from modelling, I'm feeling refreshed and focussed now. The reality that Telford is only 3 months away and it needs to be there means that I need to pull my finger out and stop procrastinating! @tomprobert, you really do make these vac forms look simple. When I follow your builds, everything looks neat and purposeful, where as this is shear plastic butchery hidden under copious amounts of filler and filler primer!

Most of the work so far has been focussed on 2 key areas so far:

1. Getting everything squared up - wings to fuselage, undercarriage fixtures parallel etc

2. Re-profiling the wings as they appear to of been moulded upside down. I have had to force the wings to meet a more accurate wing root profile which wasn't without a full swear box!

This presents more challenges as the nacelles no longer fit the wings as I've turned them over so apart from the inner lower parts, the others will be scratch built. Fortunately, the engines themselves and front nacelles are resin.

Here's the current state of affairs...

One wing is pretty much there in shape and some scribing done, the other needs a full covering of filler to hide the faults and upside down surface detail

29838224388_6fd5f6c1ff_b_d.jpg

The gear bay. It's an approximation of the complex area but given the 3 months I've got, will have to do..

29838224208_795e531d3f_b_d.jpg

And with the lower nacelle loosely in place, some more work to do in this area...

29838224138_27122d1999_b_d.jpg

The wings in place on the steel spar that @stringbag gave me...

29838223998_f846a6624c_b_d.jpg

To build the nacelles behind the cooling gills, I've ordered some 28mm diameter tube and some equally sized plastic caps. I'm not sure what I'm going to do to build the rear fairings up yet behind these, hopefully, I can butcher the existing parts into something fairly accurate. If not, it will be lots of miliput.

29838223608_3de04d18c2_b_d.jpg

42992566574_994605637e_o_d.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 16

Hi John,

Hope you're well?

I'm itching to have a go at a 1/48 B24D that's satin the cupboard, but I need to get this and a Blenheim built for Telford. It really is a pig, just wish someone would bring an injection moulded one out. Whilst some call this modelling, there's also a resource that is in demand...time!

Lil update, started to work on the tail feathers and nacelles. Checking for alignment, it was rude not to dry fit a few other bits!...

41912446210_8c16758c83_b_d.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 11

You’re certainly making impressive progress, Neil. It’s looking really good now the wing issue has been sorted - it’s made a huge difference to the look of the kit. 

As you're no doubt discovering, these vacs are marathon and not a sprint - and if the story of your life is anything like mine an injection-moulded one will be just around the corner!

• Like 1

As I'm not having to build it I'm quite enjoying following this. Lovely work so far I hope you keep your sanity 😨

As the wings are moulded upside down wouldn't it have been easier to just swop them over?? Or am I being thick.....

• Like 1

Hi Neil 

Good to see you back on this build.  This and a Blenheim by Telford, crikey you are a busy fella. The Stirling is looking very fine mocked up and must be a big blighter too.  Great work so far.  I was gonna write Keep it up but, I thought I had better not !!!  Ooooeerrr

All the best 

Chris 

• Haha 1

Hi Neil,

I've just read through this WIP and I think you'll be just about ready for a nice easy airliner soon! 

'Stirling' work going on here I must say, there's not a lot more work in scratchbuild the whole model!

Hope things have quietened down at work and you're able to get this finished for Telford.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1