1/72 Airfix Hawker Typhoon

Knight_Flyer

12 hours ago, Knight_Flyer said:

The instructions have the bay attached to the fuselage first. This is because the radiator area is moulded with the bay and needs to be sandwiched between the 2 fuselage halves. You could try attaching bay to lower wing first and then close the halves round it but I think that would be too fiddly.

You're right.  Now that I think of it the forward and aft positioning of the bays is defined by the lugs moulded on the underside of the wing fairings of the fuselage halves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having a setback now. I tried applying a do it yourself weathering wash on the underside of wings and prop. The initial coat didn't seem to have much of an effect and I started sloshing the stuff all over. That appeared to give a nice noticeable staining and I left it to dry planning to do the rest of model later. Few hours passed and on inspection to my horror the underside and prop virtually turned white. So after some cursing and stripping the paint back I've now applied the final coat of repainting. Just the prop left to do and should be able to start the main decaling tomorrow. Only way to complete in time now. Fortunately I didn't weather the lower fuselage or else the invasion stripes would have needed redoing too, will have to remain looking factory fresh but it can't be helped.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that but hope you can save this one in time. Everything has to be fresh and new at some point anyway ;) 

• Like 1

I've had enough and calling it done :giles: Spent all night doing the decals and to heck with the silvering. Made a right mess of the prop with a sloppy paint finish, didn't bother to strip the original paint as time was running out... and to add to the problem, the prop wouldn't fit. After much cursing at Airfix, managed to file away the opening and it just about goes in.

Anyway, glad it's complete and didn't have to bin it and next... off to pub for steak and chips :chef: Actually it's gallery and then the pub :rambo:

41630759615_31da1d9884_b.jpg

• Like 4