1/72 Airfix Hawker Typhoon

Knight_Flyer

So, in contrast to the oldie Revell 109 G-10... I'm entering this GB with an updated tooling. Be interesting to see how my experience compares with the two kit era's and in a way we have an adversary thing going on - 109 vs Tiffie  :rambo: :viking:

Plan is out of the box build with the exception of the markings, I have some aftermarket decals and will be using those instead.

40339910341_045bc79231_b.jpg

• Like 8

A quality kit with so many 2 TAF Squadron options. Warning!!  - don’t buy the Osprey “Typhoon Squadrons of the 2nd TAF book. You’ll end up with grand ideas to make a model of each of the 20 Typhoon Squadrons beautifully illustrated within this book. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

On 23/02/2018 at 9:51 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Warning!!  - don’t buy the Osprey “Typhoon Squadrons of the 2nd TAF book. You’ll end up with grand ideas to make a model of each of the 20 Typhoon Squadrons beautifully illustrated within this book. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Ah, bit late for that now. Book is on its way to me after I wanted something to read up about on the history. Oh well :innocent:

• Like 1

Painting has started on the interior parts. A lot more to do on this than the vintage kits I've built so far. The second photo is one of many dry runs and I think there is a bit of a design flaw where the middle part with the wheel wells doesn't have any lugs to hook up to. Immediate thought is to leave it loose and focus on closing up the fuselage half join. Then push middle part forward and run liquid cement along the seams, may even use super glue after to make sure it stays glued on. Dry run also revealed the instrument panel and radiator unit to be too wide. This prevented the fuselage halves coming together properly. Usual sanding took care of it.

40418337562_56a4276f3f_b.jpg

40418381342_1bbe3a9735_b.jpg

• Like 2

Sounds as if this one required a bit of care and effort but looks as if you've tackled it in fine style. Hopefully the remaining parts go together without further issue.

• Like 2

You have to do Stapme's kite! One of the very great characters of Fighter Command and the "quintessential" RAF fighter pilot complete with handlebar moustache :)

stap-stapleton_1621770c.jpg

basil_stapleton1.jpg

And your kit includes the markings for his Tiffie.

If you get inspired David Ross's biography of him, "Stapme" is a fantastic read.

Nice work so far and I'll be watching this as I have this kit on the to do list.

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by Smithy
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More progress on the interior. I've given it a wash for a worn look and did the wheel wells at the same time. May have gone a bit too far as I'm not planning on a heavy weathered look for the camo finish :nerd: Airfix has provided a lot of interior detailing and is fine for an unoccupied cockpit. However, as I've decided on a pilot figure - much of the detailing will be lost from view. Rudder pedals can't be added and neither can the control column. It didn't seem right not to have the control column and I eventually trimmed off the column and stuck the wheel on pilot's knees :captain: Not very accurate but you can't tell when canopy is in place. Also had to trim the pilot down as he was sitting too high.

There are a lot of parts to add before fuselage can be closed. I managed to glue pilot seat, instrument panel and just need to fit the tail wheel. The wheel wells and radiator flap also need to be sandwiched and will be leaving those parts loose. Plan still is to focus on getting the fuselage halves lined up properly and then lock the other parts in. Will need to remember to test fit the lower wing and upper wing halves in case there are any issues - don't want any surprises after it's too late :police:  Second photo is waiting for glue to dry on the cockpit parts, fuselage halves together to ensure the parts stay properly aligned.

39586438995_66b60340d4_b.jpg

40438994572_4ac3b54468_b.jpg

• Like 4

On 25/02/2018 at 8:46 PM, Smithy said:

You have to do Stapme's kite! One of the very great characters of Fighter Command and the "quintessential" RAF fighter pilot complete with handlebar moustache :)

stap-stapleton_1621770c.jpg

Cheers,

Tim

Have to wait for another day I'm afraid, although it will be a challenge trying to paint the handlebar moustache on the Airfix pilot figure :pipe:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Have to wait for another day I'm afraid, although it will be a challenge trying to paint the handlebar moustache on the Airfix pilot figure :pipe:

Not at all, just glue the bristles from a buggered brush onto the pilot figure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...and so the plan is put into action - helppp... :frantic:      For this stage of the build I'm trying a different technique to glue the fuselage halves together. Previously I've encountered problems of not enough cement or waited too long and the cement dried out or too much cement and the model started to melt. This time, cement is still used on the lugs but for the edges - white glue. White glue takes a long time to dry and that allows all of the edges to be covered before it all dries out. I then applied the cement to the lugs and still have enough time to position the parts.

After the fuselage halves have come together, I then add "clamps" be it tape, clips etc. More white glue is then smeared on the inside of the fuselage along the join and capillary action should draw it into the seam. Hopefully after 24 hours, all of the glue should have dried rock solid. Assuming it has worked, I can then add the radiator flap and another experiment - will white glue be enough to hold the lower part of the fuselage together? Gripping stuff I say :penguin:

40500528422_02aef937b8_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 28/02/2018 at 10:09 PM, Col. said:

Interesting choice of glue. Hope it works out for you.

It sort of worked, the lower edge came apart slightly but the rest was fine. Could be I didn't use enough glue, good news is - no molten plastic anywhere :penguin: 

However, the lower wing and upper wing assembly proved a challenge. I wouldn't say nightmare, it just needed a lot of clamping to get a tight a join as possible. Had to resort to using super glue too. Although the wing/fuselage is a terrible join - don't know if it was me, it will require a fair amount of filler. Airfix isn't supposed to be Japanese shake and bake anyway - can't really complain. Funny enough the tail planes was a 5 second job, didn't require any glue at all :chef:  Trailing edges look like they may be on the thick side, anyone else wanting to build this kit might want to take a look and perhaps consider sanding them down.

Also, it's not very clear in the instructions to drill holes for the underwing ordnance or the pilot boarding step if appropriate - just remember to do this step before gluing... and don't forget the clear part for the light. With the wings on, next on the plan is undercart

38780795380_5dc192ce73_b.jpg

• Like 2

Undercart is on and is a tricky operation to complete. The gear leg is a loose fit and what I ended up doing was temporarily attaching the gear door and used that as a guide to position the leg correctly. To add more complication, the tyre is flattened and if the angle was wrong then model will not sit properly. I test fitted the wheel after glue was dry and it seems to be in the right position. The gear leg is quite flimsy and recalling horror stories of how Airfix models would start to sag on their undercart... I glued the top of the gear door to the wing. Hopefully with two joins, this will prevent the soft plastic bending over time.

Just some filling to do and should be onto painting after :viking:

38804935660_547c0d5c91_b.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/4/2018 at 6:12 PM, Col. said:

Certainly looks the part K_F. What type of paint do you prefer?

Thanks :penguin:So far I've been using 20 year old Humbrol enamels and attempting to use new Humbrol. Attempting being the word as it's very unfriendly. Old Humbrol needed a few stirs and it was ready for use. However, I did try Humbrol acrylic the other day and it seems okay, might give it another go. For the Tiffy though, already have the enamels and will stick with those.

Edited by Knight_Flyer
  • Like 1

Old Humbrol is certainly a better paint than new Humbrol in my experience. Both to brush in particular and also to airbrush.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been awhile but finally reached a point I could post an update. If the last few models was about sanding, this one is about filling :chef: Can't believe the number of gaps I had to go and fill but I think I've got them all now. As you can see painting has started and it always looks bad when the first coat appears scruffy. Funny how in the early days one would panic and try to layer on a huge dollop of paint, now it's the other way round... it's too thick if it doesn't look scruffy :giles:

I have decided on the scheme and it's Pulverizer II with the mission markings and the nose art. One thing I noticed on the actual Typhoon was the fuselage invasion stripes being over painted. Perhaps in compliance with the order to remove them and the job wasn't completed yet. So with the demarcation line, I'm going to attempt to make it look ragged.

Bombs, prop, exhausts and wheels will need to be painted as well as some touch up on the lower surfaces :viking:

41903684881_889cb8ccef_b.jpg

9110f61138735101b99def48708d58e9.jpg

• Like 2

Progress is slow I'm afraid. Mainly due to painting in very thin coats and allowing longer drying times. Landing gear wheels on although I don't like the flattened look. Probably more appropriate for a Lanc and on this Tiffie, it looks like someone let the air out of the tyres :D

Basically to carry on painting now and have made a start on the prop and bombs :work:

40197458330_2789c1e03c_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 7:51 PM, Knight_Flyer said:

Painting has started on the interior parts. A lot more to do on this than the vintage kits I've built so far. The second photo is one of many dry runs and I think there is a bit of a design flaw where the middle part with the wheel wells doesn't have any lugs to hook up to. 

I think the build sequence recommended in the instructions would have you fix the bays to the wing lower half, which is then attached to the fuselage, with the wing uppers going on later.

9 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I think the build sequence recommended in the instructions would have you fix the bays to the wing lower half, which is then attached to the fuselage, with the wing uppers going on later.

The instructions have the bay attached to the fuselage first. This is because the radiator area is moulded with the bay and needs to be sandwiched between the 2 fuselage halves. You could try attaching bay to lower wing first and then close the halves round it but I think that would be too fiddly.