Desert Rat "El Alamein" 1942

Excellent job all round, I particularly like the skin tones: they are just spot on, very realistic :clap::clap:

The eyes are the deal maker/breaker on a figure: I think you have the abilities to reach top quality with them too. What helped me most about this was to follow a method: there's plenty of tutorials on Youtube about that, and I did post some WIPs on here myself describing the way I paint eyes.

Ciao

On 18.2.2018 at 14:24, John_W said:

Beautiful.

Strong resemblance to John Mills in the face.

21 hours ago, Homer said:

That's nice .:clap:

17 hours ago, colin said:

Very nice, like the way you have depicted him in typical 'tommy' with a tooth missing

17 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Beautiful detailing,a master at work Tobby,well done,Cheers.

Thanks boys. Glad you like him...

All the best.

T.

• Thanks 1

On 18.2.2018 at 14:12, giemme said:

Excellent job all round, I particularly like the skin tones: they are just spot on, very realistic :clap::clap:

The eyes are the deal maker/breaker on a figure: I think you have the abilities to reach top quality with them too. What helped me most about this was to follow a method: there's plenty of tutorials on Youtube about that, and I did post some WIPs on here myself describing the way I paint eyes.

Ciao

Hi Giemme, 

thank you. You are probably right, I really should spend some time watching people who know how to do it. I will do my best, and I got loads of fresh little victims waiting in the stash.

Cheers

Tobby

• Like 2

That is really well painted Tobby, well done.

A little tip for painting eyes is to paint the eyes completely dark brown and then decide whether the angle of the figures head indicates which way he is looking. If not you can decide yourself. Then using off white or the lightest highlight colour you used on the flesh and a fine pointed brush put a dot in the corner of the eyes for the whites. Both dots on the same side so he is looking left or right. 

I hope that makes sense, if not just ask and I'll try and explain better.

Roger.

• Like 1

On ‎22‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 13:08, Roger Newsome said:

That is really well painted Tobby, well done.

A little tip for painting eyes is to paint the eyes completely dark brown and then decide whether the angle of the figures head indicates which way he is looking. If not you can decide yourself. Then using off white or the lightest highlight colour you used on the flesh and a fine pointed brush put a dot in the corner of the eyes for the whites. Both dots on the same side so he is looking left or right. 

I hope that makes sense, if not just ask and I'll try and explain better.

Roger.

Hi Roger,

thank you. I guess your advice makes sense, gonna try it out...

all the best

Tobby

• Like 1

On 18/02/2018 at 12:45 PM, Tobby the Hun said:

My attempt in bringing the old Verlinden Desert Rat into life. Still not happy with the eyes, but I'm learning...

Anyway I like the over all look of the figure and the SMLE ist really gorgeous casted...

Cheers

Tobby 

I really like the painting, that is nice work.

1 minute ago, PLC1966 said:

I really like the painting, that is nice work.

Thanks a lot mate.

Just realized you live in Lincolnshire. Do you know if there still is the Vulcan at RAF Waddington? And is the Heritage Center at RAF Scampton open to the Publicß Is it worth a visit?

All the best..

Tobby

• 2 weeks later...