1/48 Avro Manchester L7301 - Leslie Manser VC

What an absolutely fantastic build Neil, I am very pleased to see such a beautiful model built from the conversion and kit that would probably have mouldered away in my loft until my kids threw it in a skip when I shake off this mortal coil.

Keep up the great work, can't help with the Stirling but it also is one of my favourites.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve27752 said:

Very good, a factory fresh Manchester. So, if the Manchester had two Merlins, would we have had the Lancaster?

The Manchester would have been really underpowered on two Merlins. The Vulture was supposed to produce 1750 hp and it wasn't until near the end of WWII that versions of the Merlin were available that could reach that output. That said, the Vulture had to be de-rated to around 1500 hp to have even marginally acceptable reliability. Maybe if the Griffon had been further along that would have been an option instead of 4 Merlins as even the early versions were producing around 1800 hp. But, with two Griffons, the Manchester would have had about 2/3rds of the power of the 4-engined Merlin powered Lancaster. It would not have been able to carry a Grand Slam bomb nor many of the other large loads that were seen during the war. Engine out performance would also have been marginal.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve27752 said:

Very good, a factory fresh Manchester. So, if the Manchester had two Merlins, would we have had the Lancaster?

The Merlin wasn’t powerful enough but there was a proposal for a Centaurus Manchester

3 hours ago, spitfire said:

What an absolutely fantastic build Neil, I am very pleased to see such a beautiful model built from the conversion and kit that would probably have mouldered away in my loft until my kids threw it in a skip when I shake off this mortal coil.

Keep up the great work, can't help with the Stirling but it also is one of my favourites.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, really appreciate your help, it had it’s first outing last week at Huddersfield. I think we will all be taking plenty of plastic and resin into the next world, there must be one hell of a stash in heaven 😂

10 hours ago, woody37 said:

26462159098_a71934694c_b_d.jpg

Another cracking model from Woody.  It looked really nice in the flesh at Huddersfield as well.  I was really impressed with how clear the glazing is.

I see you've got one of my stands there.  If you turn it through 180 does the Manchester fit on it ok?  The largest model I've had on it so far is the 1/72 Lancaster, so I'd be interested to know how larger planes fit.  I'd also put some masking tape on the top of the supports in order to soften them and lessen the chance of them scratching soft, new paint.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Another cracking model from Woody.  It looked really nice in the flesh at Huddersfield as well.  I was really impressed with how clear the glazing is.

I see you've got one of my stands there.  If you turn it through 180 does the Manchester fit on it ok?  The largest model I've had on it so far is the 1/72 Lancaster, so I'd be interested to know how larger planes fit.  I'd also put some masking tape on the top of the supports in order to soften them and lessen the chance of them scratching soft, new paint.

Hi Andy,

i picked the stand up at Huddersfield, it only got glued last night. I’ve not tried it with the Manchester the right way up yet so will have to try. Great to put a name to a face :)

cheers

neil

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work as usual, Neil! Now when do we get to see this in 1/32nd? From where I'm sitting I can see my eternally unfinished 1/72nd Manchester trying to hide under a box.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Because I always find something to change.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Learstang said:

Beautiful work as usual, Neil! Now when do we get to see this in 1/32nd? From where I'm sitting I can see my eternally unfinished 1/72nd Manchester trying to hide under a box.

Best Regards,

Jason

Right now Jason!

have you seen Cees progress?

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/4357-converting-the-hk-models-prototype-lancaster-into-a-manchester/

• Like 1