1/48 Avro Manchester L7301 - Leslie Manser VC

What a wonderful and respectful dedication to a truly brave airman. The story is quite touching and really hits home when you calculate that Mr. Manser was’nt more than 20 years old! 

The Manchester is yet another exceptional addition to your amazing Bomber Command replicas - all built to world class museum standards. Woody, you set the bar high and each build seems to be getting higher. 

Top self modelling. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

What a beauty! Once again your paint job is exceptional - subtly weathered and you've captured the look of the real thing really well. 

Can't wait to see what you do with the Sanger Stirling. You'll have your work cut out there, for sure! 🙂

• Like 1

Neil,

I can only echo what the others have said- that is one incredible build of an airplane that I have always thought was a handsome beast! Perfectly finished and weathered and a touching tribute to a brave young man- I guess they were all brave young men back then. Thanks for sharing your hard work and giving the rest of us something to shoot for! Well done, sir! How about a scratchbuilt Stirling or Halifax next, since you're obviously a glutton for punishment, as they say? Ha!

Mike

PS Never gave a thought to using Tamiya rubber for night, but it looks perfect!

• Like 1

Absolutely lovely model.  Really is as good as it gets for me. Fantastic weathering.

Cologne raid. 30May42.  Scheduled for 1047 aircraft.  868 attacked Cologne of which 496 were Wellingtons, 105 x Halifax, 67 x  Lancaster, 71 x Hampden, 71 x Sterling, 35 x Manchester & 23 x Whitley.  41 RAF Aircraft shot down.  198 aircrew dead, plus other crews lost on route and the way home.

And then the same guys went on a similar sized raid to Essen the next night.

That generation really were something else.

• Like 2

What can I say that hasn't already been said  . . . .

(Its about time Mr Neil Paragon started to re-release some of the popular items )

The Manchester, after my home town, is such an attractive aeroplane really and you have done it wonderfully and as always an aircraft build, in my eyes, is a tribute to those who flew them and also for the men & women on the ground.

'Lest we should forget'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Awe inspiring work Neil, and a fitting tribute to Leslie Manser VC.

How big is it in 1/48? Must be nice to have an empty workbench again!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

the bench is is already loaded up with the next challenge. Size wise in airliner language, it’s similar to a 144 scale 747.

3 hours ago, tomprobert said:

What a beauty! Once again your paint job is exceptional - subtly weathered and you've captured the look of the real thing really well. 

Can't wait to see what you do with the Sanger Stirling. You'll have your work cut out there, for sure! 🙂

Thanks Tom, I may be needing to pick your brains tackling this one 😱

3 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Awesome as ever Neil B)

Good luck with the Stirling and considering it's size you should be able to go to town on it LOL. But at least you know where to come to for advice:smile:

John

Thanks John, I may well be doing that. I’ve saved some of the 3d design work from the Stirling project that’s online, very useful for scratch building :)

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Neil,

I can only echo what the others have said- that is one incredible build of an airplane that I have always thought was a handsome beast! Perfectly finished and weathered and a touching tribute to a brave young man- I guess they were all brave young men back then. Thanks for sharing your hard work and giving the rest of us something to shoot for! Well done, sir! How about a scratchbuilt Stirling or Halifax next, since you're obviously a glutton for punishment, as they say? Ha!

Mike

PS Never gave a thought to using Tamiya rubber for night, but it looks perfect!

Thanks Mike,

a Sanger Stirling is next up so plenty of scratch building there 🤪

rubber black has a tinge of blue which I believe Night did, so think it goes pretty well.

thanks for all the kind comments. The guys who took off in these things were brave choosing to leave the ground, let alone fly into combat!

cheers