Hasegawa 1/48 Typhoon Bubbletop

Just finished.

Absolute dog of a kit, not too sure if it was me or the kit, maybe a bad run, but it fought me all the way. Poor fit in many places including the radiator, wings to fuselage and cockpit pieces. I was very close to giving it up at many times but I'm happy in the long run I didn't.

Build OOB with the exception of a QB seat and True Details wheels.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 18

Well it might have been a pig but then you appear to have made a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Looks lovely.

Just because it says Tamigawa on the tin doesn't necessarily mean trouble free. I built a Tamiya Spit recently and the bugger fought me the whole way.

On 18/02/2018 at 9:31 AM, kpc7676 said:

Just finished.

Absolute dog of a kit, not too sure if it was me or the kit, maybe a bad run, but it fought me all the way. Poor fit in many places including the radiator, wings to fuselage and cockpit pieces. I was very close to giving it up at many times but I'm happy in the long run I didn't.

Build OOB with the exception of a QB seat and True Details wheels.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Hi,

You've done a great job on this. 

I am doing one of these at present, and have found with the exception of the two halves of the cockpit decking having a 1mm gap between the parts, when pre-glueing to the larger fuselage pieces (clearly a toolmakers error), the gaps seen between the wing roots and fuselage halves are due to part distortion.

Pre-glueing the upper and lower wing parts together and allow to dry.

I inserted a thick piece of sprue in the bottom of the fuselage to spread the sides by around 1mm, and allow to dry. Then, if you check the underside of the wing with a straight edge, you will see it is bowed downwards at each tip.

Glue the wing into the fuselage recess and pull the wingtips together across the top of the fuselage while drying, just enough to close the gap at the root.

Once dry, you will see the gaps gone without filler, and the underside of the wing is straight.

I only needed a small amount of filler at the fuselage top.

I am surprised to hear about fit issues on this kit, usually Hasegawa products literally 'fall together' (with very few exceptions).

The very fine chipping on the wings and fuselage looks convincing;

however, the color of the code letters seem to be off, much too green-ish.

Not your fault since you built OOB.

Good result!