MFH Alfa Romeo 159M

Endeavor

PostImage has provided a work-around.

I have repaired the first two pages of the thread and will complete building new links soon.

Thanks to Codger for alerting me to the work-around.

Edited by Endeavor
  • Haha 1

Some work-in-process...

Below you see the MFH supplied "suede" applied to the seat cushion and rear bulkhead.

DSCN2382.jpg

Below are "suede" covered bulkhead and cushion, seat components, "suede" ready to be applied to the back of the seat, and two pieces of leather to show the contrast between the two materials.

spacer.png

In the two photographs below, the "suede" has been removed and leather has been applied to the rear bulkhead, head rest, seat cushion, and the back of the seat.

spacer.png

DSCN2396.jpg

I thinned the leather from about .7mm down to .4mm.  It is now closer to scale, much more flexible, and better able to follow the contours of the seats, especially the pleats.  I thinned the leather by sanding the back with 80 grit sandpaper and a block.  It was time consuming and messy, but essential.

Using the back edge of a hobby blade, I made the spaces between the pleats a bit deeper.

I have to purchase additional tools to complete the work.

• Like 5

On 4/9/2018 at 5:30 PM, Codger said:

With skiving leather, I've had success as follows. Leave the leather oversize - do not cut the actual shapes yet. Tape down one wide edge and then pressing down on that to keep the skin taught, rub the skin away from the held edge with 100 grit on a block. Measure thickness every so often. It's messy and takes good effort but does get the thickness down evenly.

Thank you Chas.  I followed your advice.  You are right, it is messy, is tedious and time consuming, but it does achieve a good result.

On 4/9/2018 at 10:29 PM, JeroenS said:

I recently came across this tutorial, may be of some help here too! Good luck!

http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/Leather 101/lthr.htm

Thank you Jeroen.  Was interesting.  I tried skiving in the past, but found it very difficult to obtain a consistent thickness.  I needed a lot more practice and much more skill.

I think most skiving is done to reduce the thickness of leather along its edge so that a completed piece will have a consistent thickness where two pieces of leather are joined (overlapped).  I think professionals use machines to skiff larger leather pieces.

I found it interesting that the author said that a new blade will become dull after skiving slightly more than 1 square inch of leather.

Edited by Endeavor

Your efforts clearly paid off so far! I did already think the tutorial made the skiving look too easy. I'll remember the method you used in case I ever work up the courage to go for leather seats. I'm curious about the end result and also how you'll go about finishing the seat. And finally, which tools you'll be using. In general, I'm just really curious, can't help it ;-)

• Like 1

Work on the seat is progressing.

DSCN2416.jpg

Below are the instrument decals and the instrument binnacles.  I polished the binnacles.

The smaller decals are 4mm (0.16") in diameter; the larger decal is 10mm (0.39") in diameter.

spacer.png

Here are the decals installed in the binnacles.

I used tweezers, toothpicks, Micro Set and Micro Sol.

spacer.png

Below are the instruments installed in the dashboard.  I have to install the lenses to complete.

DSCN2428.jpg

• Like 9

The seat and the rear tank placed in position.

The seat is not finished.  I have not yet been able to properly finish the seams.  I am going to apply some dye, a wire bead, and make further adjustments.  If that doesn't produce a good result, I'll have to begin again.

There are some mistakes and some damage that must be fixed.  I think the model is now about 50% finished.

DSCN2533.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Niiice! The leather seat must be a challenge. Maybe you need a little larger piece on top, so you can fold/roll the edges in over itself, to go over the seam. 

• Like 1

To determine the dimensions for the display case I am building, I placed the major body panels on the chassis.  

DSCN2550.jpg

It will be a long time before the chassis is complete and ready for the body, and the body panels will require considerable work before fitment, but you can get an sense of what the completed model will look like.

DSCN2553.jpg

The hood/bonnet is removable and the left and right center body panels are attached to the chassis with magnets so they can be be easily removed.  In addition, I hope to make both the nose and tail sections removable so that the entire chassis can be displayed.

DSCN2554.jpg

DSCN2564_2.jpg

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 3

Perfection in line and form - you had great vision in choosing this subject.  It is proving well-worth the relatively small tribulations you had during construction. Much left to be done but the reward will be the daily satisfaction of just seeing it in your privacy. We are fortunate you are sharing with us.

Excellent planning the case at this time - I find them as vital as the model.

Bravo David !

• Like 1

What a beauty ! Similar to the Fiat 806  the proportions correspond with the golden ratio ( 1 : 1,61 ) approximately .( ratio bodywork / bonnets + radiator case ) I´m sure the designers at that time knew exactly what they did . Unfortunately I cannot say the same about today´s car designers .

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 2

Even at this stage, with the body panels fitted as they are, you can see that this is going to be great. It would be nice to have the removable panels to show the beautiful chassis underneath!

• Like 1