roof dilema.on my hanger

sharkcapridriver

Hi folks

have made a start at building my CPM 1/48 hanger. and on glueing the roof cover sections together and them sticking. pva. as soon as they touched.. out of line with each other and having to use a damp cloth to separate them  and reset them in the right position it has all gone a bit wobbley.and the joint looks dreadfull. not happy at all. 

can anyone tell me where i might be able to purchase via royal mail, a sheet of this micro corrugated cardboard big enough A1 to do the roof in one piece ?

any help gratefully received.

i was going to put a pic of it on for you to laugh or cry about but don't seem to be able to load it from my phone gallery?? 

Sorry, I can't help with the A1 corrugated cardboard, but wondered if this previous build might give you some pointers.

If you are struggling with adding photos, you might need to read this...

• Like 1

Hi thanks 

i have seen that hanger build and had the same idea but joined my two halves together in a similar manner but on a flat surface. i put weights on it to hold it flat while it dried but on taking of the weights i didn't stay very flat and to be honest i was never going to be very happy even before i started with a joint in the middle that i thought impossible to hide ..  i will have to keep searching .

posting pics .. only have pics on my mobile and not a very computery person.. 

i only found out how to post a new topic today by chance visiting the home page for the first time since coming on here lol.  i could pull your car into thousands of pieces and put it back together but the only this i have ever pasted is wallpaper.

lmao

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I dont know if you every resolved this but here are a couple of photos showing my hangar followed by  pic of the material used : available from all good DIY shop outlets.

28787268392_ab0597b2b7_z.jpg

28938537342_46143d9e55_z.jpg

The material: lightweight, strong, cutable and sticks with poly glue !!!

28787268572_972fb9a02b_z.jpg

I am using the same material for a second hangar of a slightly difference design but this poly-carb is, I think, ideal for boxy constructions 

HTH 

Ian

• Like 2

Hi no i haven't. Got side tracked with it at the moment . On the card front i looked everywhere i could think and drew a blank on the size (not being big enough) i will have a look wicks bnq  to see how flexible it is and if it will work with the curve of the roof.

Thanks very much 

David

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sharkcapridriver said:

Hi no i haven't. Got side tracked with it at the moment . On the card front i looked everywhere i could think and drew a blank on the size (not being big enough) i will have a look wicks bnq  to see how flexible it is and if it will work with the curve of the roof.

Thanks very much 

David

Pop into any local supermarket and ask them for corrugated cardboard/boxes. They'll have loads for bailing/disposal and I'm sure they'll let you have a few boxes. Some boxes will have the required 'guage' of corrugation. Ask for those with the smallest 'guage'. For something measuring 4ft x 4ft you'll probably be looking at medium guage though.

Here's a tip for 'removing' corrugated sections from the 'sandwich' of cardboard though - one I discovered while working on my 'Ever Evolving Diorama':

First, DO NOT CUT OUT YOU'RE SECTION OF CARDBOARD but leave it whole. Cutting the cardboard to size will flatten/damage the edges of the corrugations.

Instead, take a piece larger than you require, then very lightly dampen just one outer layer. Let that soak in well, then carefully peel it away. IF it sticks in places, leaving patches, work over those areas with a damp brush and carefully remove them.

Next.... and this bit is the clever bit.... use an old stiff brush to lightly coat the surface of the exposed corrugations with thin CA.  Don't use too much. You don't want it to soak right through to the other side, just the surface of the corrugatons. This willl fix the corrugations, stiffening them up and stopping them deforming. NOW dampen the other side of the sandwich, and remove as before. This job should be easier as the corrugations are now stiffened and protected. Once this has been removed you can give the newly exposed corrugations a coat of thin CA. Now you can cut your corrugations to size. Stiffened by the CA, the corrugations will pop back into their correct shape and won't flatten out/deform.

Hope that helps. If you go to 1st page of my diorama you'll find a chapter heading with corrugated 'iron'. Hope this helps.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1