Ascensio Pegas decals

armored76

Hey,

I was looking at this Ascensio Pegas decals for a 767-300ER: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/978207-ascensio-763-010-boeing-767-300er-pegas

Can anyone shed some light on what the lower, white on grey parts are? Are these painting masks, white decals?

Also, does anyone have experience with these decals? One can read some mixed reviews but these are also rather old so things might have changed in the meantime.

While at it, how easy/hard would it be to convert a Revell / Zvezda 767-300 into an ER?

Many-many thanks in advance!

Cristian

Christian,

The only thing I would check would be the engine fit for the ER and what you have in your kit. It looks like Revell released their B767 as a -300ER in the United and Gulf Air boxing.

So I think the Zvezda kit would need no conversion to slap the Asensio -300ER decals on it.

• Thanks 1

I have both the Revell and Zvezda 767s in my stash and I'm currently building a Revell kit from the original BA/Gulf Air boxing.

The Revell plastic never changed and the kit has been marketed as a 767-300ER throughout.  I'm not a Boeing 767 expert but I'm unaware of any significant external differences between the basic -300 and the -300ER.  The -300ER is by far the most common variant of the 767 with nearly 600 sold compared to about 120 basic -300s.  

With any model of the 767-300 the main points to watch are the engines and the door layout.  The 767 can be fitted with three types of engine - Rolls Royce RB-211, Pratt and Whitney PW4000 or General Electric CF-6-80.  Revell produced reasonably accurate RB-211s but they are only in the first boxing of the kit with decals for BA and Gulf Air.  Otherwise the Revell engines are a hybrid of PW and GE and not properly accurate for either.  They're probably closer to the PW engines but the way they're moulded means the hot section ends in thin air and you need to add some sort of internal blanking to avoid an unrealistic see-through effect.  The aircraft on the Ascensio decal sheet has PW engines and although you can get away with the Revell engines you might be better off with replacement engines from BraZ models who cover both PW and GE types.  

The Zvezda kit only gives you GE engines so for the Pegas aircraft you will have to use BraZ replacement PW4000s

The real 767-300ER came with several permutations of doors and windows.  Revell give you three large doors and an overwing exit which is the configuration of the Pegas aircraft.  On the other hand Zvezda give you three large and one medium sized door (above the aft end of the wing root) so if you want to make the Pegas aircraft from the Zvezda kit you will either have to drill out several windows or use decals (I know which option I'd choose!).

To summarise: the Revell kit, if you can find one, is the better option for the specific aircraft you want to model - it has the correct window/door layout and you can get away with using the kit engines provided you do something to fix the see-through effect.  With the Zvezda kit you need to alter the door/window layout and replace the engines. 

Ascensio decals are pretty reasonable.  Here is a model I built using them and you can see my thoughts about the decals.  The most important point is that they don't react to conventional decal solvent but I found that pressing them into place with a cloth dipped in water just off the boil worked well.

Good luck with such a challenging livery.  I'm afraid I have no idea what the lower white on grey parts are but Ascensio decals are laser printed so they can't do white on the main sheet.

HTH

Dave G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2018 at 5:19 PM, armored76 said:

Can anyone shed some light on what the lower, white on grey parts are? Are these painting masks, white decals?

While at it, how easy/hard would it be to convert a Revell / Zvezda 767-300 into an ER?

The white-on-grey parts are paint masks. As the blue tail needs to be painted, the white logo is provided as a mask.

If you don't fancy trying to match your blue paint to the blue fuselage titles decal, then there is an optional mask for that too.

A -300ER is externally identical to a -300. The differences are internal - mainly an extra fuel tank and some structural strengthening for the heavier weight.

Edited by Scott Garard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cristian,

No, I haven't used them.

I have designed a few decals myself for a local producer here in Australia, so I merely examined the Ascensio sheet to determine how they depicted certain livery elements. (Masks for the blue tail, optional masks or decals for the blue titles, etc)

• Thanks 1