1/72 Lavochkin La-7, Eduard+Quickboost+Rob Taurus

Fuad

Hi, everybody! This time I present you the model of an ordinary airplane. I used additional etched set from Eduard, propeller from Quickbust and vacuum formed canopy from Rob Taurus. I made the antennas macht from copper bar, replaced all shock absorber plastic rods on metal rods, added navigation lights, made new Pitot tube, rolled riveting and etc.

27912833_1651657884913612_48562223588538

27912826_1651657878246946_25176107586581

27913233_1651657881580279_83522705798835

27912798_1651657998246934_44319750922448

27912610_1651658004913600_94770721815452

28061825_1651658008246933_85016345315476

27993767_1651658074913593_73832013287916

27982663_1651658068246927_27373379948888

27908414_1651658071580260_42006302410435

28161783_1651658141580253_19815491131284

27982972_1651658151580252_28675945786850

• Like 30
  • Haha 1

Beautiful job on Maj. Ahmet-Khan's La-7, Fuad! That's one I intend on building, along with his Kobra. Zebra, it was a fairly small aeroplane - the Soviets liked their fighters small and manoeuvrable.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

Ho, hum- your usual outstanding work, Fuad! Was the Quickboost prop that much better than the Eduard one? I think SBS also made a prop and spinner for this kit, so I'm guessing the Eduard parts aren't that good? I have the kit, but haven't looked at it for a while.

Mike

29 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Was the Quickboost prop that much better than the Eduard one? I think SBS also made a prop and spinner for this kit, so I'm guessing the Eduard parts aren't that good? I have the kit, but haven't looked at it for a while.

Mike

"Eduard" has the wrong propeller spinner. Certainly it can be just cut, but it's easier to buy the right one. Also, "Eduard" has problems with the canopy bubble - it does not match in size. So I replaced it, too. I also made from toothbrush bristle the indicate pins of the released chassis on the wing.:) Also, the fuselage of "Eduard" has a wrong hump below the radiator. It also had to be worn off.

Edited by Fuad

Nicely done Fuad. Coincidentally, that is the kit I have on my bench at the moment. I'd even decided to do the same scheme as you. As this will be my first attempt with an airbrush, I doubt it will be appearing in RFI.

7 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Nicely done Fuad. Coincidentally, that is the kit I have on my bench at the moment. I'd even decided to do the same scheme as you. As this will be my first attempt with an airbrush, I doubt it will be appearing in RFI.

Feel free to exhibit here and only then you will receive valuable recommendations from colleagues. The "britmodeller" may be the most kind model resource in the world. The gentlemen gathered here))). Good luck in the construction! 

Edited by Fuad
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Fuad said:

"Eduard" has the wrong propeller spinner. Certainly it can be just cut, but it's easier to buy the right one. Also, "Eduard" has problems with the canopy bubble - it does not match in size. So I replaced it, too. I also made from toothbrush bristle the indicate pins of the released chassis on the wing.:) Also, the fuselage of "Eduard" has a wrong hump below the radiator. It also had to be worn off.

Thanks! I knew about the prop and spinner and had already bought them from SBS; I will get the Rob Taurus canopy- I think they are the best vacform canopies, as they are thick enough to glue on and fair in, but yet are still not nearly as thick as most injected ones. I will definitely check out the area below the radiator- I think I have some good scale drawings and photos, plus the Red Star monograph on La fighters. Keep 'em coming, Fuad- I always enjoy seeing your work.

Mike

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Thanks! I knew about the prop and spinner and had already bought them from SBS; I will get the Rob Taurus canopy- I think they are the best vacform canopies, as they are thick enough to glue on and fair in, but yet are still not nearly as thick as most injected ones. I will definitely check out the area below the radiator- I think I have some good scale drawings and photos, plus the Red Star monograph on La fighters. Keep 'em coming, Fuad- I always enjoy seeing your work.

Mike

I recommend that you watch the photos of real boards of La-7. Because the drawings are not very true. On some of them there is a hump and there is an incorrect prop spinner, to which the manufacturer was apparently based. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

As another resource, there was a reasonably good book written by a chap not far from you - in Seguin, Texas, no less. The book is called Lavochkin Fighters of the Second World War. It doesn't have scale drawings, but it does have some nice photographs and colour profiles. I should know - I wrote it.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Learstang said:

As another resource, there was a reasonably good book written by a chap not far from you - in Seguin, Texas, no less. The book is called Lavochkin Fighters of the Second World War. It doesn't have scale drawings, but it does have some nice photographs and colour profiles. I should know - I wrote it.

Best Regards,

Jason

You are well done! I am proud that my model is like the American author of books on Soviet aviation. It's really amazing!

• Like 1

On 16.02.2018 at 1:06 AM, Learstang said:

Beautiful job on Maj. Ahmet-Khan's La-7, Fuad! That's one I intend on building, along with his Kobra. Zebra, it was a fairly small aeroplane - the Soviets liked their fighters small and manoeuvrable.

Regards,

Jason

Akhmetkhan's mother was a Tatar; she is Turkic blood, like me. His father was national - Lakets. These people number only 160 000. They live in Dagestan, the Caucasus Mountains. Ahmethan Sultan was almost my countryman, so I'm proud of him.

• Like 1

You do brilliant work on all your models, Fuad, but I'm especially attracted to the Soviet GPW models, given that it's my area of historical interest (and knowledge). If I'm not mistaken, you've already built an Il-2, now this Lavochkin. Now all you need to do is a Tu-2 (if you haven't already), which I also wrote a book about (Tupolev Tu-2: The Forgotten Medium Bomber).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Learstang said:

You do brilliant work on all your models, Fuad, but I'm especially attracted to the Soviet GPW models, given that it's my area of historical interest (and knowledge). If I'm not mistaken, you've already built an Il-2, now this Lavochkin. Now all you need to do is a Tu-2 (if you haven't already), which I also wrote a book about (Tupolev Tu-2: The Forgotten Medium Bomber).

Best Regards,

Jason

Oh, yes, I have a Tu-2 model from the Ukrainian ICM. But this is a very intricate model for the assembly. I still hold it until the moment when I feel the strength to take it. ;)

Edited by Fuad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fuad said:

Akhmetkhan's mother was a Tatar; she is Turkic blood, like me. His father was national - Lakets. These people number only 160 000. They live in Dagestan, the Caucasus Mountains. Ahmethan Sultan was almost my countryman, so I'm proud of him.

Yes, I know the sad story of his mother's people, the Crimean Tartars; because he was a HSU, his immediate family was exempt from Stalin's deportation, but many of his friends were not so lucky. I find him interesting (although I didn't realise that he was part 'Dagestani'), that's why I want to do both his Kobra (nearly finished) and La-7 (partially finished). Although people always talk about the 'Russians' regarding the Great Patriotic War, they seem to forget all the non-ethnic Russians who also fought against Fascism, including the Soviet ace of aces, Ivan Nikitovich Kozhedub, who was a Ukrainian (flying aeroplanes, the La-5 and La-7, designed by a Jew, Semyon Alekseyevich Lavochkin).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fuad said:

Oh, yes, I have a Tu-2 model from the Ukrainian ICM. But this is a very intricate model for the assembly. I still hold it until the moment when I feel the strength to take it. ;)

I have the Hobby Boss Easy Assembly kit, which seems to be accurate in overall dimensions and outline, but it is definitely lacking in interior detail. I've detailed mine with parts from the ICM kit (too complicated for me). Like so many of my kits, it's nearly completed, but I can't bring myself to do all the intricate masking for the clear parts.

Regards,

Jason

46 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Although people always talk about the 'Russians' regarding the Great Patriotic War, they seem to forget all the non-ethnic Russians who also fought against Fascism, including the Soviet ace of aces, Ivan Nikitovich Kozhedub, who was a Ukrainian (flying aeroplanes, the La-5 and La-7, designed by a Jew, Semyon Alekseyevich Lavochkin).

Azerbaijan at the beginning of the Great Patriotic War had 3.4 million people. 600,000 of these were drafted into the soviet army. More than 300,000 from 600,000 young and healthy Azerbaijanis were killed in this war. But the current head of the Russian claims that Russian could win without other nationalities.(

Edited by Fuad
  • Sad 1

That's something I try to make clear in my books; it was the Soviet Union, not 'Russia', which fought the Nazis and their fascist allies, and it was the Soviet people, not the 'Russians' who fought the Axis. 1.5 million Ukrainian soldiers died fighting the Nazis, and most of the civilian casualties occurred in the Byelorussian and Ukrainian Republics. The ethnic Russians did provide most of the soldiers in the Red Army and certainly the officer corps was mainly Russian, and their sacrifices should never be forgotten, but they did have help from the non-Russians in the Soviet Union.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1