Ha! The Humble Humber Matchbox 1/76

combat

Well now, here we are again.  Not so sure how frequently I will update but this will get us started.  I have a very very soft spot for the Matchbox / Revell kits in 1/76.  I find so many good things about them.  One is the build time and the variety.  Some kits don't have a figure, but usually a figure one or more vehicules and a mini diorama.  I still find the vehicules and the figures the biggest challenge.

Here's a little sequence of the Humber dio.  Just 4 parts.  Needed some filler on the edges of the wall.  I did a black white contrast base using vallejo (thinned with water) and Tamiya (IPA).  After the colour coat some Tamiya panel liner and then dry brushes lighter and lighter shades.  Finally some white highlights and I began to add a bit of tone with some oils. 

The wall isn't done yet.

nAE7DNC.jpg

kiT1c8N.jpg

O9gkaSf.jpg

JfvE1cF.jpg

xB4PFJj.jpg

ADKa6CR.jpg

9Eep8ZJ.jpg

mxhTpXR.jpg

• Like 8

Rob, I can only encourage you, these kits are not quite as sharp as some others (like Dragon and Italeri) but they are a lot of fun, those who have more patience than me put a lot of extra details on too.  What would you like to do - a tank, armoured car, truck ?

7 hours ago, combat said:

Rob, I can only encourage you, these kits are not quite as sharp as some others (like Dragon and Italeri) but they are a lot of fun, those who have more patience than me put a lot of extra details on too.  What would you like to do - a tank, armoured car, truck ?

yeah - I built the Sherman Firefly, Monty's Caravan and (I think) Hanomag as a kid... dont mind the subject to be honest.

on the detailing, I did start a Matchbox 1/72 Helldiver and had gone to town on the interior (not easy in 1/72 scale)... was fun if knackering to the eyes

Yep I am grey in the beard and I use +5 lenses to do all my work on the 1/76, kind of got used to it now actually, and feel very at home doing it like that.  Monty's Caravan is a whopper of a kit, the Sherman a classic.  After the Humber I also have something green lined up!

I am not the best at referencing, in fact I am pretty useless, but here are some pictures for those reading the thread and who maybe can put them to good use.  I just love some of the work done by artists too on these military vehicules, so much talent.

HQ4QbJt.jpg

Viwv0TP.jpg

7YkzyGS.jpg

IsRxik8.jpg

MTRfmgY.jpg

8Mzsy5e.jpg

• Like 3

Rob, be patient, I picked up the whole collection over 2 or 3 years, (which in itself is a fun hobby) some come up at very good prices, great deals in Germany too.  As you remember they are in Matchbox and Revell and sometimes you get fortunate and can grab the Revell kits which have one packet of soldiers with them too!   I find the Matchbox pastic a little crisper but the Revell decals tend to be better / more recent.  Some kits were also produced under licence in China and are not knock offs.

Someone else likes them too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybmQgkS--d8

• Like 2

And, here comes the little man, or more correctly half the little man.  Base coat black and white, then vallejo.  I have made some progress even if I say so myself, but I haven't got the blending skills yet.  Maybe next time.  But better than last time I feel.

zMQ8vqK.jpg

YJZ4AmC.jpg

MW2eBho.jpg

cynT85r.jpg

s3igr4U.jpg

• Like 2

John I tried Tamiya"s 1/48, lots of very interesting and very detailed kits, but I couldn't adapt to that size well.  I just use reading glasses and find it easy.  I made a mistake of using Tamiya panel liner on his back and it spread out, repaired it a little but a thinned oil liner or vallejo liner doesn't spread out so much.  Some more figures to come in a later build.  What are you doing in 1/48 - I did the Willy's jeep set with about 15 figures - very very tiring indeed.

John - fantastic, great job on your T34 paint scheme and sagging tracks

got the main body and top done.  Just the decals to go now I think.  Still a bit heavy handed but moving toward some subtlety - not there yet, but edging in the right direction.   Got something green up next!

97zLKPP.jpg

P99G6hY.jpg

Cv02E43.jpg

vKKUETP.jpg

4GRDkYB.jpg

7sj1yaM.jpg

V2HRLek.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry, it's a JS2 ;)

The tracks are link and length and are pre sagged. I have their late model Tiger and bought the stick on zimmerit set. That is going to be a challenge.

The Humber was my first ever Matchbox AFV. For me the bases were as much part of the build as the kit. It is a pity no one else has ever followed suit and done similar.

I would swap vehicles between bases for variety.