hello from the down under

Haemon

Hello All,

My names David from Melbourne, Australia. I built (poorly) kits as a kid till i gave it up in my late teens. 4 years ago the now wife bought me a kit for Christmas and the many years dormant addiction to hoarding plastic returned. between work, family and general life i haven't completed as much as i'd like but will hopefully pop some stuff up shortly when i sort out a photo-hosting account.

i have read a number of great threads and picked up some very useful techniques here while i lurked around over the last 18 months and hopefully i can return the favour.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Welcome to BM David.

It would appear that we have many things in common.

- My name is also David, however sign off casually as Dave.

- I was born in Melbourne, however left for sunny Brisbane as a 21 year old.

- I also built (poor) kits as a kid, however I'm sure we are not alone here - the problem is I don't think I've improved all that much!

- Hoarding plastic, yep been there done that and still do.

- Where we do differ is that my wife never buys me kits for Christmas!!

So enjoy the ride and ask whatever you want. There's plenty of nice cheery folk on here that will encourage you to pursue this strange hobby we all love. 

Cheers.. Dave.     

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, mate, don't know about anybody else but I find you antipodeans to be splendid lads.  If I had the opportunity I'd fold the tent and move to your city in a heartbeat... Lovely place.  I was able to visit for free some years back when I blagged a contract on a ship doing fortnightly cruises from Sydney to Aukland via Melbourne, Hobart, Milford Sound and a few other stops.  (And that's MISTER Pommy-Bastid to you! :D)

• Haha 1

Hi david, greetings from across the ditch, they seem to tolerate us pretty well on here, reckon you'll enjoy it. :)

Pete, Milford is a magic place isn't it? I went in there 44 times driving, would love to have done the approach from the sea, did you get the opportunity to "steeky beek" in the course of your duties , Mr PB :D Sorry for the thread hijack. :)

Steve.

Hi David and welcome aboard!

I'm a Kiwi who lived many years in Melbourne (kids were all born there) and then up sticks and moved to the frozen Arctic. I horrify my old Kiwi and Aussie mates alike as I still religiously follow both the All Blacks and yet always follow how the Dees are doing back in Melb. "You can't possibly follow two codes mate, it's just so wrong!" (That's a direct quote from from one of my best mates). Maybe it's from all the glue and enamel paint fumes!

You sound like you'll fit right in here, looking forward to seeing your builds and what you're working on.

Tim

Hi, David, :welcome:to Britmodeller, I lurked around here, too before finally joining. I am very glad that I did; and, I am sure that you will be, too. I look forward to your builds as well. You will find that this site is a goldmine. These are some of the most generous people when it comes to knowledge, help, and, advice. Enjoy, and contribute, you will be glad that you did.

Joe

PS. My ex never bought me anything either; but, she didn't mind when I bought the odd kit, tool(s), etc.

Edited by JPuente54
Add sentence

Thank you all for a most hearty welcome!

Rabbit leader, the very first kit in my renewed hoarding was bought by SWMBO and is the most delectable 1/32 Fisher Sea fury that I lusted after for about 4 months. Right up until She asked what I wanted for Christmas and I made a joke…..

Alas it remains in the box until I can do it justice. This is also the last modelling related item she has bought me as she has watched in (to her credit, silent) horror as I went full addict mode. I have mentioned on several occasions, to some interesting facial expressions, that I could have worse vices.

Uncle Pete, I am a Pommy bastid meself, albeit having made the trip at a young age, so I consider it was not my fault I came to a land where nature decided to have some fun and see just how nasty/venomous/poisonous and downright deadly it could make the fauna.

and now i am finally a published modeller!

• Haha 1