Back to the beginning - Airfix Wellington III

Andy G

Thanks guys.  Not had chance to work on her this week and I’m off on a big bike ride tomorrow.  Hopefully I’ll get some modelling done on Friday and catch up with you then.

Andy

• 7 months later...

Well it's been far too long since I updated this thread.  My apologies but life caught up and it became difficult to get much modelling done never mind photograph it.  The Wimpey has plodded on, only taking a backseat whilst I got a Mosquito and Do17 across the line and also did some test weathering on a paint mule - more practice required!

Much of the work has unsurprisingly been fill, prime, sand, repeat,  It's now reasonable and the time has come to put the top coats on.  I'm having a go at black basing.  I had a test of pre-shading but wasn't convinced by it, plus there's not exactly a lot of panels on the Wellington.  Yesterday I marked out the camo outlines and applied the dark earth.  Then before going out (Bohemmian Rhapsody is well recommended) I put the Mr.Hyde putty on - and applied some more black primer to cover the brown overspray.

30778190297_31cf14b37f_b.jpg

This morning I went for the dark green and the great unveiling

45667918852_285b116928_b.jpg

I knew the putty would move overtime but didn't expect it to be overnight - rats!  I've spent the rest of the day trying to rectify the black.  Here she is with two coats of Klear 

30778185367_75788dd93a_b.jpg

45667909392_2b382c4484_b.jpg

30778179097_dd83d51d53_b.jpg

It's been a lot more work than I was expecting.  I think I'm happy with the black basing, but I'm probably going back to white tak worms rather than use the putty again.  I'm too slow at masking to be able to rely on getting the masking and painting both done in a single evening.  

There's a bit of touching up to do on the sides of fuselage where I've not brought the colour down far enough and I need to apply the colour to the engines as well.  I've gone back to using the kit engines rather than the Lancaster's mainly due to not being able to work out what to do with the exhausts.  The Lancaster's were clearly different to the Wellington's but photos of a Mk.III's exhausts are hard to come by due to them being 'twixt engine and fuselage.

I'll try and not take so long before putting up another update.

Andy

• Like 3

This is looking good! I have a few of these early Airfix Wellingtons and may well do something similar for a quick stress busting build.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Hi Andy. It looks as though your Wellington is coming on well. Nice work. I remember I built one of these back in my school days, but it hasn't survivied house moves and must have gone to the great bin in the sky at some point though a few other models did make it. Cheers, John

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 7:52 PM, Martian Hale said:

This is looking good! I have a few of these early Airfix Wellingtons and may well do something similar for a quick stress busting build.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian.  "quick stress busting build", think I've been building this about as long as you've been at that Albatross, which looks very nice by the way.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:01 PM, Jinxman said:

That looks great considering what it started as - crying out for some decals!

Soon, soon but it will probably be a couple of weeks or so as I need to get some different blacks from the LHS to do the black!  

10 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Very impressive. 

I think you can apply Turd Polisher to your CV

Pete

If only I could manage it at work!

9 hours ago, J Sherratt said:

Hi Andy. It looks as though your Wellington is coming on well. Nice work. I remember I built one of these back in my school days, but it hasn't survivied house moves and must have gone to the great bin in the sky at some point though a few other models did make it. Cheers, John

Thanks John.  I've built two in the past, but have no idea where they went, nor any of the other models from my youth/childhood.

Only a small amount done tonight but the brown has been extended downwards in the couple of places that were a bit short and a few other places touched up.

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy G said:

Thanks Martian.  "quick stress busting build", think I've been building this about as long as you've been at that Albatross, which looks very nice by the way.

The Albatross is a Blitzbau by my standards! Glad you like it though. There should be some news about it post Telford.

Martian 👽

This is brilliant work on what must be a rather-hard-to-get-it-right kit.

Why is there an inverse relationship between the age of an Airfix kit and its desirability?

I only ask because I've got it too, with an Airfix Avro Anson,

Michael

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Michael51 said:

Why is there an inverse relationship between the age of an Airfix kit and its desirability?

Its probably a nostalgia thing. For me at least it takes me back to the happier and simpler times of my childhood. I have the Martian cave festooned with my favourite kits from when I was a tiny Martian.

Nostalgic of Mars 👽

• Like 3

Some of mine are nostalgia, certainly this one is and it may not have got this far if it wasn't, it's really not worth the effort with more recent kits available.  It does depend upon your motive though, if you enjoy and are prepared to put the effort in then you probably get more bang for your buck with the older kits than with the latest hi-fidelity easy fit super kit.  For example this cost me about £7 I think whereas the new Airfix was about £28 and the older one includes a crew, albeit some of them look like they may be relatives of Martian.

I'm just waiting for the re-issue of the 88mm and half-track.

I do wonder how many kits I must have built as a kid, I keep seeing people building older ones and thinking, "I had one of those, I'd forgotten all about it."  I'd love to know what happened to them as well, I know one spitfire got flown into the wall - can't remember why, but have no recollection of binning any others.

Very slow progress on the Wellington - the engine cowls have had the exhaust rings masked off (previously painted) and the tape sealed with klear ready for painting.

On 11/6/2018 at 12:20 AM, Martian Hale said:

The Albatross is a Blitzbau by my standards! Glad you like it though. There should be some news about it post Telford.

Martian 👽

I'll look forward to it.

Andy