1/24 Revell VW Type 1 Van Customised

Having pondered on the 'basic' shape of the original bomber seat I thought something with more shape would be more fitting so I had a dabble at a CAD alternative...less electric chair!

093617.png

Edited by mbdesignart
added text
  • Like 1

Thanks to Marco F. for his generosity in providing 2 different driver figures to check the headroom I can say the roof fits PHEW! But only just. The shorter legged helmeted figure would not allow the roof to align but the second longer legged, bare headed, figure just fits. I had to tilt the seat to accommodate them but as the van will be Guinness livery I'll assume it'll be one of the 'Little People' driving, even if it means putting blocks on the peddles! Perhaps the bulkhead needs attacking?

200151.jpg  200636.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
photos added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having resolved the headroom issue I have managed to get some of the bodywork assembled and filled. A blanking plate for the spare recess was needed, I may add some speakers before fitting?

155533.jpg  155556.jpg

Decision made on the front seats too, going for the 'comfortable' bomber seat version with some additional custom drilling. Also considering leaving off the bumpers for a clean look. 

• Like 2

If you want a cleaner look, of course leave the heavy bumpers off. But have you already thought about some classic Nerf-Bars? You know these kind of chromed hooks you can find on cal-look beetles? I think they might be a cool add on your custom van

Cheers

Marco F.

Nice. I think I'd mock up the front suspension and wheels and see if I could drop the area where 

the seats mount to by a millimeter or two. Maybe even just the thickness of the plastic.

That might just make the difference. Leave the wheel arch/door jamb where it is and

cut inside that, just the width of the seat?

You may then need slightly smaller diameter front wheels but that might help the stance.

More cutting and filling, bonus is the recessed floor now creates the tilt angle for the seats, thanks Pete in Lincs for the idea. The recess for the spare has been filled too with added head units for the ICE. Also added a bangin' sound system to the rear load area - no need for your pals banging on the side panels for the cheap option.:D

124118.jpg 165024.jpg

165004.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
text edit
  • Like 4

This thing looks great, I'm doing the 1/16 Samba (unlike you, I'm following the instructions ;)), I'm very curious to see how yours turns out so count me in!

Jeroen

• 2 weeks later...

The 'bomber' seat model has come back from Shapeways, thinking of individualising it by enlarging some of the holes. Probably doing these polished aloominum. Van body is now in a box drying having had its black gloss coat applied, then it's onto an Alclad Jade topcoat.

132600.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
typo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst visiting Cosford model show yesterday I picked up some resin bits. The l/h pic is as cast in resin from the master above, r/h pic shows this customised with a chamfer added to the holes and some enlarged.

172955.jpg  191600.jpg

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

Whilst priming some other items I took the opportunity to give this a blast over to the areas that had required work filling and to the newly added air intake. Also there will be a choice of wheels to be made when I see which fits within the arches.

IMG-1684.jpg

IMG-1685.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
typo
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Well look what I found lurking in a box, and I found out why. The Alclad prismatic Jade had had a reaction on one panel and, as this colour is no longer in the Alclad range, it has just been sat sitting. So I thought a quick strip of the paint and pick another colour. Quick strip, ha! I don't know what's in Alclad, I think the A stands for armour?! After many days in an equivalent to Mr. Muscle, then Fairey Powerspray [useless IMO], then a caustic soda solution, I found the best stripper was Isoproyl alcohol. The body is still soaking in a tub as there are some stubon areas that need a longer soak.

I'm now thinking of doing as a candy red santa bus using some suiltably christmasy decals. Maybe these wheels will be a good choice too? So much choice...

spacer.png  spacer.png

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

That's the body out of the IPA, not your kind of tipple Hewy

How did you know? The hoppier the better, by the way I'm decaling the beer van atm ,

And what a great set of decals they are mark, very robust and are going down very well, not the easiest shape for them to conform to either , 👍👍