1/24 Revell VW Type 1 Van Customised

171830.jpg

Here for your enjoyment is another van that's going under the knife. I've applied some 10mm Tamiya tape to use a a cutting guide on the easy parts which equates to near enough a 9.5" chop The fun will be working out the screen and door cuts, although I may do without the quarter lights in the doors. Handles will disappear along with hinges etc for a clean look.  I'm thinking of another Guinness scheme but using metallics for the black and cream. It will be lowered too with a suitable set of alloys added. What could possibly go wrong...?

Edited by mbdesignart
typo, title edit
  • Like 4

Welcome aboard one and all, plenty of room in the back:D

I thought I'd pile into the chassis and get the suspension/steering fitted. It's not often you have to use a hot knife on a kit these days but the steering arm required it's lugs melting over the axle uprights. Anyway thinking ahead I thought it best to check the wheel fit under the arches. The stub axles were a tad too long so a couple of mm got lopped off the ends, no doubt the rears will require similar attention. Now I'm thinking the ride height needs dropping.

194714.jpg

• Like 3

Well best laid plans and all that. One of the front hubs is off and I've made a start slicing off one of the rear inner arches. A new hub locating bracket has been added to take the kit hub with a carbon fibre pin for support. Hey ho!

214637.jpg  214714.jpg

The ride height has dropped by 5mm with about 1mm clearance between tyre and arch. The rear suspension looks like another scratch affair with a straight beam axle - more on that story later...

Edited by mbdesignart
correction
  • Like 3

A quick update. The rear arches have been relined and along with the front indicator & door handle recesses filled. New rear axle added, the existing hubs have been chopped off the kit axle to be remounted. There are some extra parts on the sprues from the Samba Bus which I'm utilising to convert the cargo area into a 'Snug'. The plan is to add a Guinness beer tap onto the bulkhead with a bench seat forward of the rear arches and maybe a wood panelled floor. Now for some more surgery.

144636.jpg

• Like 2

Sides have been chopped and here's a test fit of the roof. This now requires slicing down the centreline to widen it, I'll have to check what radical action is required for the screen before undertaking this. Talk about play it be ear, ha!

160617.jpg  160650.jpg

• Like 2

Roof sliced in half and a joining strip added, now left to set overnight before packing and filling.

193105.jpg  193637.jpg 202910.jpg

UPDATE 21/2/18 - The roof has been split again. Even after measuring about 3 times when I'd more or less properly aligned the sides with more tape the roof was found to be too wide. I think a more considered approach is needed, oh and two more pairs of hands to hold the damn thing together.

Edited by mbdesignart
update info
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Roof join No.2 Following a more thorough taping together of the body I found the roof needed to be splayed 3.5mm at the rear 7mm at the front. It's all good fun?! Now I'm considering a cutout for a sunroof...

160154.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
photo added
  • Like 3

Bonus found in the box! Whilst digging around in the spares box for a likely transparency for the sunroof I recalled seeing on the instruction sheet parts marked 'not for this kit' and amongst the items were several windows for the Samba Bus. Brilliant 4 moonroofs for the err roof. Four cutouts over the snug and now onto the filler.

145445.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments.

Not much progress this week, other van conversions getting in the way. Anyway the gap is filled and I think a GT40 style, or Zagato hump/s in the roof over the front seat/s would be needed in the real world. 

144255.jpg  144335.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Looking good Mark, I was going to mention the front seat height but I was beaten to it...

Colin

I need to find a 1/24 driver figure just to see if the are any headroom issues.

Having had a look at the Bomber Seats on t'net I thought I'd have a go at something similar, a bit of plasticard and some drilling should while a way a few minutes. Draw up a template, print onto adhesive paper, stick onto plasticard and drill away.

041841.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
typo
  • Like 2