New Airfix 1/48th Sea Fury,....painting stage onwards **FINISHED**

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

After speaking to a few people at recent model shows I was asked to post my progress on the new Airfix Sea Fury,..... but I`m already at the painting stages so it isn`t a full build,...sorry!

It is a beautiful kit with great detail but the thing which got me was the poor fitting cowling doors,....... they are narrower than the front and rear rings resulting in a step between them! I tried to compensate by leaving the joint between the upper and lower halves slightly more open than they should,.....filling in the resulting gap,....and sanding the front and rear rings to match,..... I was surprised at having to do this and hopefully some resin manufacturer will be along soon with a complete engine bay with opened doors. There has been a lot made about problems inthe tail area but I must have been lucky as all I discovered was a sink mark or two,..... although the part rivetted horizontal tailplanes did make me scratch my head,..... I`ll be sanding these down in a future build!

Anyway,....here is the model so far,.....I`ll be finishing it in Royal Canadian Navy markings using decals from Mike Grant;

40221392652_4381d7321e_k.jpgDSCF2443 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

39554605544_d1304167bb_k.jpgDSCF2444 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40221391562_7a1fb9a292_k.jpgDSCF2446 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Although it looks like I`ve glued the spinner sections together,....they have been dry fitted together,....sanded and then painted,.....I`ll be cracking them open again to fit the prop once I`ve added another coat of yellow to the prop tips.

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 19

Tony thanks for sharing your experience with this kit - it looks like a nice model of the Sea Fury will be the result - some of the boxings of the kits seem to have  small faults but nothing that cant be fixed I think

Cheers CJP

• Like 2

Thanks for your kind remarks everybody,........ I applied a coat of Humbrol 35 enamel gloss varnish a few days ago, ready for the decals,.....but it was a disaster,......I ended up with bits from the brush stuck in the varnish,.....plus the dog must have had a shake near to the model as it dried,.....it was almost as hairy as Chewbakka from Star Wars lol!! So I carefully sanded the varnish down, removing most of the gunk,....... and applied a couple of coats of Kleer,.....again by brush,....which was much better! 

Next came the Mike Grant decals,.....which were superb,.....and these were sealed into place using a different tin of Humbrol gloss varnish,.....the panel lines have since been scribed, ready for a watercolour wash;

39491301855_80897b9222_k.jpgDSCF2449_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

26516923688_3ed5d76be5_k.jpgDSCF2450_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

Tony 

I've always admired the finish you get on your models using a brush! This one is no exception and looks terrific. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Antb said:

Tony 

I've always admired the finish you get on your models using a brush! This one is no exception and looks terrific. 

Thanks,...... but like many of my models it was almost a disaster,....believe me!!!

Here is a bit more progress,...... undercarriage on and some panel line weathering,......still need to paint the silver panel behind the exhausts and to add some exhaust streaking,......these RCN Sea Fury`s were high gloss so I`m keeping the finish like this;

40403529061_ba4b97eb76_k.jpgDSCF2463_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

26532770538_2d7f68e354_k.jpgDSCF2466_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 20

This is simply gorgeous

And the sky hasn't fallen down

I know you had to 'make a model' with the cowling but blimey isn't that what we do?

You have made me really consider a scale change, new Airfix might be moving me along a scale with this, a Walrus and a Meatbox to play with, there's so much magnificent in here

Fabbbulous ☺

• Like 2

Nice job there Tony.  I like the clean finish - need to consider that for mine (clean finish will be something different) although I am considering doing the cliché Carmicheal aircraft...

Tell me this, if you were to build a second one, is there anything you would do differently?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Nice job there Tony.  I like the clean finish - need to consider that for mine (clean finish will be something different) although I am considering doing the cliché Carmicheal aircraft...

Tell me this, if you were to build a second one, is there anything you would do differently?

Cheers mate,......differently,.....well I`d take a bit more care with the cowling and maybe add masking tape clips as the kit ones can soon be removed during sanding. May do the next one with spread wings too,... but it really is a nice kit. 

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Beautiful work, especially with the brush.  Can't believe how clean that first coat of dark grey is: is there no dust in the O'Toole household?  My 1/72 Stuka could easily be confused with a carpet.

Dust,....oh yes,...... you didn`t see it after the gloss varnish was brushed on,.....it was as hairy as Chewbakka and a disaster!!! Careful sanding with fine grades brought the paint back again and it was levelled off with a coat of Kleer. I sand the model in between each coat of paint to try to cut down on the hairs, grit and brushmarks. Glad you like it,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 2

Hi Tony,

I am coming late to the party but I do have a question.  At the beginning you mentioned that the cowling doors are a bit small.  I am not entirely sure what pieces you are referencing; I presume the cylinder shaped halves between the front cowl ring to just in front of the exhausts.  Is that correct?  If so, could one add shims to the top and bottom edges of the fuselage pieces to bring the doors out flush?  If not, would you educate me?  I do not have the kit parts to look at just yet.

Thanks in advance, Jim 

Edited by Jim Kiker
  • Like 1

On 22/02/2018 at 7:05 PM, Jim Kiker said:

Hi Tony,

I am coming late to the party but I do have a question.  At the beginning you mentioned that the cowling doors are a bit small.  I am not entirely sure what pieces you are referencing; I presume the cylinder shaped halves between the front cowl ring to just in front of the exhausts.  Is that correct?  If so, could one add shims to the top and bottom edges of the fuselage pieces to bring the doors out flush?  If not, would you educate me?  I do not have the kit parts to look at just yet.

Thanks in advance, Jim 

Hello Jim,......I think that you are there,........yes it is the opening engine access doors,......and yes I added a few shims of plastic rod to the joint line along each side,....just to push the `barrel' shape out to then match the front cowling ring and the rear ring.

Cheers

Tony 

Looking good Tony, congratulations on a sweet build. Didn't manage to get one in Cape Town, they don't seem to be in the country yet but then the three dealers didn't pitch tot he event!!!

Colin

• Like 1

Hi Tonyot  - you've done a very nice build of the Airfix Sea Fury - isn't it great to have a decent Sea Fury kit at last even though it has a couple of minor glitches like the cowling fit but you have sorted that without too much drama

CJP