Popski's day out - done! L.R.D.G. Matchbox 1/76

combat

What can I say, well something really had an effect on me a few weeks ago and I've noticed that I really want to leave my scruffy models behind and move on.  Got a decent compressor, a brush that I feel I can use and some different glue.  So I hope that we will see a change from here.  Up next will be a tidier Humber: simpler diorama, only one vehicule and one half figure.  I am sure spring will come sometime and deliver us from this long lasting cold spell. 

I wanted to capture the early evening light in the desert.  The decals are from the kit so NZ, not correct for PPA but I almost got them on straight, even the one that came in 3 parts, (which I put on in the wrong place, doh) thanks Matchbox!

Quite a lot of work building up the Chevy and I stupidly stuck everything in the back before painting.  My effort to make a canvas roll from a bit of chiseled sprue is not too good, but will do for now.  Hopefully see you again when I get my Humber build up.

ziflTda.jpg

11vsbuk.jpg

vjiqF1Q.jpg

fmDayGa.jpg

• Like 22

Very nice diorama. A lot of work. Pospki would have loved this.

Just to be a pedant. Popski's Private Army was a separate organisation completely from the LDRG. The LDRG were more intelligence gathering.

Pospski carried out some intelligence work but was mostly disrupting the enemy behind his lines in the desert and in Italy. In the desert he

spent much time getting the British pro Arabs on side to rise against the Axis when the time came.

Apologies for the history lesson.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

Yeah Lorrie thumbs up,

I read Popski's book while doing the build, I just thought with the red berret and grey sweater the figure looked a 'bit' like the man himself and it made an interesting title.  Actually I am always in admiration of the depth of knowledge of many of the forum's contributors, some are experts on certain armour domains and mines of information for facts and details - keep up the reading.  Do you have any recommendations yourself ?  I loved the PPA story couldn't put it down!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, combat said:

Yeah Lorrie thumbs up,

I loved the PPA story couldn't put it down!

Yes you are so right. Read the book half a dozen times. One story in it, which I loved, was the taking of a town by Popski with the help of a small armoured group.

The best book I have read is about a British agent sent to the east of France after the invasion of Normandy. It is a fascinating story of blowing up trains and other

targets. The book also depicts the lives of the Maquisards. Maquis by the author George Millar it is his story. Great book my favourite (with another below) read many times.

The White Rabbit by Bruce Marshall. Secret agent in France. Captured tortured by the Germans. His story

Wingless Victory Anthony Richardson  Evader capture.

Scramble W/Cdr Bob Braham his story

Night Fighter Rawnsley and Wright  Rawnsley'story.

A bit heavier. Assignment to Catastrophe by Edward Spears. his story. Assigned by Churchill to be attached as much as possible to the French Cabinet during the invasion and

capitulation of France. Meetings Churchill had with the French Leader and all the French politicians involved. A really great read. If you do read it the first couple of chapters are

a bit heavy but read on as the further into the book the more fascinating it becomes. Ends with De Gaulle being bundled onto an RAF aircraft and flown to England. i might say

he dropped off on the island here to refuel the aircraft and have a cup of coffee.

Just add that a few weeks after this the Island of Jersey was occupied by the Nazis until its reinstatement under the King and Commonwealth in 1945.

During this time, as a young boy, Hitler tried to get into England without a visa. The RAF "refused" to issue that visa. Living in outer London we had bombs dropping around us. I saw

Spitfires, Hurricanes and also a Tempest chasing a flying bomb. I lived with my family during a lot of this time in an Anderson underground shelter in the garden. I went to school

with a gas mask hung on my shoulder

A lot of these books are not in Kindle (damn) but can be readily obtained second hand.

Regards

Laurie

Laurie - wow and cheers, I will  note those books down and check them all out.  I think the story I liked the best was when they come under mortar fire in two Willy's and Popski shouts 'smoke' and his mate stops the jeep, gets splashed on the face with mud from an exploding mortar, digs in his pocket and pulls out a packet, and Pop's says, 'No, I meant a smoke bomb' !

1 hour ago, combat said:

Laurie - wow and cheers, I will  note those books down and check them all out.  I think the story I liked the best was when they come under mortar fire in two Willy's and Popski shouts 'smoke' and his mate stops the jeep, gets splashed on the face with mud from an exploding mortar, digs in his pocket and pulls out a packet, and Pop's says, 'No, I meant a smoke bomb' !

Must read again as cannot remember that one. Happy reading.

Until we moved, recently, I had a library of 800 books of WW11. Gave them to the local hospice.

Chap told me they sold as individual items in days and were getting them re-donated back to the Hospice.

So just something good came of WW11. In fact the war brought a lot of advances just how they had to

happen that was the disaster. One was plastic surgery which has helped many people through out the world

who have facial injuries. One of the advances was through RAF and the surgeon McIndoe repairing burns

suffered by pilots.

Happy reading. The happy hour.

Laurie

Thanks so much for the encouragement.  Have been away for too long and am not happy with my work these days.  Have posted some more builds (and just finishing another one off), but will take a little break form the vehicules to work on some figure technique and then hopefully come back to the vehicules charged up and a lot less messy.

40 minutes ago, combat said:

Thanks so much for the encouragement.  Have been away for too long and am not happy with my work these days.  Have posted some more builds (and just finishing another one off), but will take a little break form the vehicules to work on some figure technique and then hopefully come back to the vehicules charged up and a lot less messy.

You are doing A OK Steve. You have imagination & vision prime model & diorama attributes.

Laurie