1/72nd Airfix/Alley Cat Basler BT-67 Turbo-Dakota

Hi all, one of the great things about working for Airfix Model World is the chance to build some really off-piste subjects that I would never normally attempt. Such is the case with the Basler BT-67 Turbo-Dakota conversion I built for the October 2017 issue. The base kit is the excellent Airfix Dakota III while the conversion set came from Alley Cat. There are several variants to be had in the range but in this case, we chose the single Mauritanian Air Force example, serial 5T-MAH, mainly due to its natty colour scheme. As was to be expected the Alley Cat parts fitted the kit perfectly with only the extra side windows needing to be made from clear acetate. As the BT-67 has a revised semi-glass cockpit the whole nose interior needed to be upgraded and this was done using parts from the Airfix kit, scratch-built panels and bulkheads, instrument panel, revised yokes, dials, via Airscale and the usual throttles, pedals and fire extinguishers. This version also featured a Star SAFIRE FLIR system for surveillance operations, and while the under-nose turret was included, the operator's area, seat, table and FLIR screen had to be scratch-built and fitted. True-Details resin wheels replaced the kit parts as these had a far better level of detail and the rear boarding ladder had railings fitted. The cargo interior also received new bench seats along with all strapping.The top of the forward fuselage was festooned with aerials and sensors that needed to be scratch-built and added along with the new oblong window added above the pilot's position. 

The model was painted using Lifecolour and AK Interactive Air-Series acrylics and weathering a mix of Abteilung502 oils, AMMO-MIG pastels and AK Interactive oil and grime washes.

Good fun and highly recommended.

Hope you like it...

Cheers :cheers:

Melchie

1-DSC_0477_zpsnsium7c6.jpg

13-DSC_0464-2_zpskj7bcgao.jpg

3_zps45ydcljq.jpg

18-DSC_0481_zpsftblunjy.jpg

19-DSC_0482_zpsznarlp5b.jpg

20-DSC_0483_zpsuu77jlau.jpg

1-DSC_0485_zpsepoj7jvx.jpg

14-DSC_0468_zpssikhsoke.jpg

1-DSC_0173-002_zpsg6g1acwr.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 69

Thanks chaps, very much appreciated as always...I must agree, it does look right with the turboprops fitted plus they greatly improved the STOL performance giving the old girl bags of power.

Youtube

will be building the SAAF Turbo Dakleton later this year and I’m looking forward to it.

Now that's a great looking version too. It would be great to see others builds.

The only replacement for a DC3 is a DC3!

Very nice model. A survey version visited here a couple of years ago and was based at the airport down the road. Impressive beast. Even more impressive was it scooting along at 300 feet on the survey flights.

• Like 2

Not having any idea regarding the existence of this Mark I've had a goggle - if not a downright gander - at the (typically) refined job that you've made of this mon general.

The frontal view in particular does give off a strong impression of a breeding experiment between two different eras of aviation doesn't it?

Kudos and calvados. :thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks chaps,

not an aircraft I’d ever get round to building,

Normally, me neither, but being given these projects certainly pushes you outside the 'comfort' box and helps develop more techniques. The same goes for the 1/700th warships, it's useful to get outside now and then and have a bash at something a little different.

The conversion, the camo scheme, it's all gorgeous! I want one.

You should Zac, I don't think you'd be disappointed. The Airfix kit's excellent as is the quality of the conversion set. 

Something I forgot to point out, was the differences between the BT-67 and the standard Dak...it's more than you might think.

Revised nose shape, new 'panoramic' windscreen, addition of large oblong overhead window above the pilots, extended forward fuselage with the addition of four extra windows, new engines, props, exhaust ports and squared off nacelles, upgraded cockpit, new wing-tips and leading edge extensions, replacement flying surface, (metal ailerons, elevators and rudder), re-positioned nav light on fin leading edge, FLIR turret, (some versions) revamped cargo bay and front floor mounted hoist and comprehensive aerial suite. Fuel dump pipes are fitted below each wing, outboard of the engines and these were scratch-built.

• Like 1

I've got a soft spot for the old Dak (an Airfix/Esci one is on the workbench right now) and I think I want one of these as well!  Like Neil says, it has had the 'Melchie magic' applied and looks stunning, not to say totally realistic in those photos.

Award yourself another medal General, you have earned it with this beauty!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks John, appreciated. look forward to seeing what you do with your Dakota. I'm very lucky here at Melchett Towers, being on the approach to Waddington we get some interesting types flying over the old pile on a daily basis. In the summer months, we often get the Memorial flight over from Coningsby including the old Dak performing circuits, always a stirring sight and sound. 

I'll take a look in the war cabinet a bit later and pick out a particularly gaudy medal to CA to my army issue night vest.