Gun camera on P-40 - how common?

MikeR

The new 1/72 Special Hobby P-40 kits include the gun camera fairing as part B10 and, for the N at least, it's isn't grayed out as not for use. However, the instructions don't tell you where to put it, but a quick Google search showed that below the wing outboard of the starboard undercarriage fairing was the usual location.

The photographic record seems to indicate that the gun camera wasn't fitted that often, but was there a set reason as to which aircraft may have had one? Like flight leaders, for example?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.:)

Edited by MikeR

P40E : N-2 on rear of gunsight

P40E1: G-45 in a fairing under starboard wing, outboard the LDG

P40F/L : N-2 on rear of gunsight(41-13600 to 14099) & in starboard LDG fairing (41-14100 & subsequent)

P40K, M & N : N-2 in starboard LDG fairing

Edited by BS_w
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I may ask a question on this too (sorry, not hijacking I hope).

On the P-40E-1 was the gun-camera fairing a permanent installation? If no camera was fitted could it be removed and replaced with a flat panel?

DennisTheBear

17 hours ago, BS_w said:

the fairing was easily removable(9 screws and nut plate on the skin)

Thanks for the post, BS_w; wish I had your P-36 and P-40 archives!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
dead link removed; new one in post below

BS_w

I think the photo linked below of a P-40F shows the correct gun camera port in the stbd. landing gear fairing that you described. I think my previous linked photo showed the intake for cabin air, if I am guessing correctly. Did I get this right?

Mike

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/567499/g-cgzp-patina-curtiss-p-40f-warhawk/

• Like 1

Cool - thanks guys!B)

Since I'm making my kit a CACW P-40N-5 it means that part B10 isn't applicable. As an extra, from my own digging, it seems that many P-40s (and P-51s) in China were fitted with a RDF loop on the rear fuselage:

(all credits to original photographers, posted for discussion purposes only)

P-40N China 00

P-40 RDF Loop 00

My subject:

CACW P-40N 00

As can be seen in the first photo, the RDF loop is a field mod as you can see new metal around the base of the fairing.

Mike.:)

• Like 1

As you wrote, the loop antenna was fitted after this plane(42-105011) was delivered to unit, the reinforcement plate in escutcheon shape is NMF still..
just forward this plate there is the upper identification light.
Radio compass and it rotatable loop antenna will be fitted in factory from airplane 42-106029.

Edited by BS_w
  • Like 1