My first attempt at Armour (for 35 years anyway!)

Duncan B

I'm impressed at how much the colour has changed with the Klear coat.....I'd consider using black pin-washes and maybe a deep-blue filter, you might be surprised at where you wind up.  @AndyRM101 would be the guy who could best tell you how to work such colour magic.  :coolio:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been away from the modelling desk for a while but did manage an hour late last night to finish off the wash on the turret. 

Looking back I obviously hadn’t posted photos of the hull after applying a wash so see below. The first photo shows the hull post wash with the turret still waiting. 

IMG_3520-600x450.jpg

And with the wash on the turret 

IMG_3524-600x450.jpg

I’m experimenting with an enamel wash for the tracks now. The tracks have been painted a base colour of gun metal and the section on the left has had a wash of ‘dry mud’ applied. 

IMG_3525-600x450.jpg

I’ve never used pigments wet before so want to try applying some ‘dried mud’ to the tracks too. I can afford to muck these sections up as they’re the upper sections anyway which will probably not even be fitted to the kit. 

Any suggestions for weathering the tracks and/or the tank greatly appreciated. 

Duncan B

• Like 4

That's one hell of a complex surface to weather!  ;)

TBH it's something I do 'by feel', and I start the process before the base coat goes down, straight after the primer, so most of my techniques wouldn't be much help to you.....Dot Filters are always a good way of enlivening a monocolour surface.  You could consider adding Dust Washes in multiple shades using oils, acrylics (if you are careful) and even pigments.  You can also mist dust effects onto the model with your airbrush, but this takes considerable care & practice, if it goes wrong the consequences are usually quite unfortunate (ask me how I know).

My only real advice would be 'When you think it needs just a tiny bit more.....Stop'.  :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can still add dry-brushed edge-highlights after a wash (I usually do both processes a couple of times with different colours) I'd recommend at least one highlight layer.....Just make sure you do it before the pigment wash!  ;)

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You can still add dry-brushed edge-highlights after a wash (I usually do both processes a couple of times with different colours) I'd recommend at least one highlight layer.....Just make sure you do it before the pigment wash!  ;)

I thought I would seal this wash in with a flat coat then do some dry brushing with a lighter green to pick up the edges and see how it goes from there. Would the reactive armour blocks be the same colour as the main structure or would they be a slightly different tone?

Duncan B

Even with the wash on, you can always go over and spray highlights with the airbrush. One option, not as sophistcated as Andys work, is.taking thinned down lighter paint and just mist it over from almost vertical or the angle you wish the light to.come from. this acts somewhat like a filter and is.more general than compared to.do.specific highlights or dry brushing of corners. But it is another good base after doing the wash to lighten up the top most areas. That should work well with the lot of detail on this tank.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Would the reactive armour blocks be the same colour as the main structure or would they be a slightly different tone?

Usually the same as they are a standard component, but if the tanks's seen some action they could be almost any (standard russian camo) colour.....I have some photos of T-72B3s (or what looks very much like a B3) in Syria if you are interested.

• Like 1

Hi Duncan just watch the 9 May Parade Moscow on you tube and they show the tank you are building you might be interested in the colour.

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

On 16/03/2018 at 4:35 PM, Ripaman said:

Hi Duncan just watch the 9 May Parade Moscow on you tube and they show the tank you are building you might be interested in the colour.

Regards

Richard

I will give it a look, I do like a good military parade and the Russians know how to do that well. 

I have gone gone back over the top surfaces with a dilute version of the original colour. 

IMG_3529-600x450.jpg

IMG_3526-600x450.jpg

It looks a bit over done in the photos but looks fine to my eye. I’ll seal everything in with a clear flat coat next then add some dust around the edges. 

Duncan B

• Like 6

This afternoon I assembled the tracks. 

IMG_3530-600x450.jpg

Then it was time to stick it all together. 

IMG_3534-600x450.jpg

IMG_3536-600x450.jpg

I’ve still some things to do, a flat coat, some dust and touch up the tracks where I glued the links. It’s getting there though. 

Duncan B

• Like 2

Coming along nicely and it's inspired me to break one of my two modellcollect kits out of the stash and make a start on it.

Really impressed with the quality so far - think more will be heading my way in the future.

2018-03-18_10-23-56

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

7 hours ago, badger said:

Coming along nicely and it's inspired me to break one of my two modellcollect kits out of the stash and make a start on it.

Really impressed with the quality so far - think more will be heading my way in the future.

2018-03-18_10-23-56

All the best

Ben

I've really enjoyed building mine (even the tracks!), it's been a very pleasant break from my normal builds and I will build more for sure (I've always liked the look of BMPs). I'm waiting for the new releases to arrive at the Distributor so I can stock some of them.

Duncan B

On 19/03/2018 at 06:14, Duncan B said:

I've really enjoyed building mine (even the tracks!), it's been a very pleasant break from my normal builds and I will build more for sure (I've always liked the look of BMPs). I'm waiting for the new releases to arrive at the Distributor so I can stock some of them.

Duncan B

I finished building mine last night and it'll have to wait until warmer weather for paint.

Really nice kit and I'm looking forward to building the other I have.

Will definitely be picking up more of the range in the future

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Both models looking good.....I'm masively impressed with Modelcollect too.

Lovely work on the highlighting Duncan, that's worked very well indeed.

PS - Duncan.....Does the Modelcollect T-90MS have the corrected spacing for the suspension arms on the cast lower hull?  :hmmm:

PPS - Got my eye on that T-64BM2 too.....Do they do they do the BM Bulat with Nozh ERA?  Or the T-84 & BM Oplot for that matter?  :shrug:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - Duncan.....Does the Modelcollect T-90MS have the corrected spacing for the suspension arms on the cast lower hull?  :hmmm:

PPS - Got my eye on that T-64BM2 too.....Do they do they do the BM Bulat with Nozh ERA?  Or the T-84 & BM Oplot for that matter?  :shrug:

Erm....I'm sure they are very good questions. I understand each individual word with the exception of 'Bulat' and 'Nozh' but when they are all put together it makes no sense to me :shrug: 

(actually not sure about 'Oplot' either but suspect it's baby speak for a wild cat from southern US, Mexico and central America, 'Leopardus pardalis').

And on a more serious note: The Modelcollect website has photos of all the sprues for each kit along with the instructions which would answer the question about the T-90MS hull. 

Duncan B

• Haha 1

It's not clear when exactly Modelcollect corrected the suspension arms.

I don't know if T-90MS kits were released with the incorrect hull and I don't want to have to replace such a major part (correcting it isn't an option as they cast it in metal for some reason).....If I could find a definitive answer I wouldn't have asked.

As for the other things:

s800

T-64 BM Bulat

6aee8fe51057fea79a97d1508d146703.jpg

T-84 BM Oplot

Discussion of Nozh ERA (and some fairly significant flaws in the concept) here:  http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/topic/1528-no-nozh-doesnt-work-as-advertised/

• Like 1

On 22/03/2018 at 9:39 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It's not clear when exactly Modelcollect corrected the suspension arms.

I don't know if T-90MS kits were released with the incorrect hull and I don't want to have to replace such a major part (correcting it isn't an option as they cast it in metal for some reason).....If I could find a definitive answer I wouldn't have asked.

As for the other things:

s800

T-64 BM Bulat

6aee8fe51057fea79a97d1508d146703.jpg

T-84 BM Oplot

Discussion of Nozh ERA (and some fairly significant flaws in the concept) here:  http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/topic/1528-no-nozh-doesnt-work-as-advertised/

I’ll see if I can get decent photos of the hull of the T-90 MS that I have in stock then you can see if it’s correct or not. Will post them in this thread. 

Duncan B