Converting the new-tool Airfix Lanc into a Grand Slam carrier -- can it be done?

Procopius

Hey all, what needs to be done to convert a new-tool Airfix Lancaster into the Grand Slam version? There's the nose fairing, the bomb (of course), some sort of bomb bay fairing towards the bow, and the top turret plug. I think the Dambusters boxing at least covers the top turret plug, but is that all of the rest of what needs to be done? Are there good plans somewhere?

Patience? Maybe Airix has plans to eventually release such an offering. Just a thought.

Failing that, if it were myself, I'd find an original release and adapt the parts the the new kit.  Shouldn't be that hard, adapting them that is.  The new kit is quite close in shape and size with it's older version.

Further, I just found this, Freightdog offers (offered?) a Tallboy conversion, with prospects of the Grand Slam:

2ea0e305-8b3a-4819-81b9-fa952bd758d8_zps

There is also the Paragon conversion, if you can find it:

Paragon 1/72 Lancaster 'Grand Slam' Conversion, 7210 plastic model kit

Edited by Wm Blecky
typo

Not much to it I reckon, these are the extra sprues that come with the kit.

DSCF2851

& a close up of the bomb, bomb bay liner & nose turret fairing.

DSCF2853

The kit fuselage does not have the top turret cut out either. Sing out if you want any more photos or PM me an email addy if you want scans of the destructions. ;)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good pics Steve.  Man, those props look pretty nasty.  I'm guessing that you will not be using those, eh?  ;)

Any idea what this kit goes for?  I've seen the Hasegawa offering on eBay and it seems to command some pretty good money.  

18 minutes ago, Procopius said:

So on the real aircraft, was it a liner to the bomb bay as well? I had thought it was more or less just the removal of the bay doors.

Yes, there was an aerodynamic fairing front and rear for the bomb bay.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Harry Lime said:

Yes, there was an aerodynamic fairing front and rear for the bomb bay.

Under the bomb, however, it'd be the normal bomb bay "roof", correct?

4 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Sort of. See here for an image of the bomb bay mods, although I think it shows the smaller tallboy being carried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'd wondered that too, but Harry's photo shows that it did have a full length cover, though the kit part is simplifies, there are obviously bomb steadies & some sort of framing/channel  where the bomb steadies fix. Not too had to do with some plastic card & milliput. The bomb shackle, like a ginormous bike chain might be harder to replicate likewise the bomb but doable, luckily there's lots of photos on the net. Let's know f you want measurements for the bomb.

Steve.

Thats right Simon, I bought it off ebay about 7-8 years ago from memory, post from USA more than the kit price but all up quite good. Possibly same fuselage molding as the Dam Busters kit without the top turret cut out. The raised detail is very fine, I'll still build it very happily. This one here , lots of sprue shots, wonder if Pat @JOCKNEY  ever did finish this? :) A build of this kit on Airfix Tribute forum. More sprue shots.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Thats right Simon, I bought it off ebay about 7-8 years ago from memory, post from USA more than the kit price but all up quite good. Possibly same fuselage molding as the Dam Busters kit without the top turret cut out. The raised detail is very fine, I'll still build it very happily. This one here , lots of sprue shots, wonder if Pat @JOCKNEY  ever did finish this? :)

Steve.

7 minutes ago, shatters said:

Argh !! Photobucket strike again !!! 😢

Apologies gents I'll get the photos on Flickr for you, and no Steve I didn't finish it !

cheers Pat

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shatters said:

Argh !! Photobucket strike again !!! 😢

Sorry Shatters, I've got the PB hotlink fix on my laptop, I sort of forget about all that malarkey now. Sounds like Pat will sort it though. Worth downloading it though, google Photobucket hotlink fix.

1 minute ago, JOCKNEY said:

Apologies gents I'll get the photos on Flickr for you, and no Steve I didn't finish it !

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat, now would this qualify for the Classic Airfix GB? :);)

Added a link above to the old Airfix GS kit being built on ATF.

Steve.