Looking for Bismarck Experts

Airborne SF

Hello all.  I am building Trumpeter's 1/200 Bismarck, and have several questions.  I'll post them one at a time.

First, the bridge decks.  Bismarck had three bridges,  using the terms in "Anatomy of the Ship" (please correct me if there is a more accurate term), the Admiral's Bridge (high one), the Lower Mast Deck Bridge (surrounding the armored conning tower) and the Bridge Deck (lowest of the three).   The lower two bridges are shown in most models as having a wooden grating covering them, but I can only find one picture showing a wooden grating.  Two other photos show them as dark grey paint on steel.  The wreck photos also show steel decking.  The area is not burnt as the paint still exists on the bulkheads.  

I am modeling her as she was when she left Norway on 21 May 1941.  Any answers would be appreciated.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will take you to the expert who has written a book on the Tirpitz ( Norwegian Language ) and whom I provided 4 of my wartime photos and old postcards to the project -

I also helped him with GERMAN NAVAL CAMOUFLAGE Volume 1 - rather more extensively ( I am named on Page 10 ) so the guy runs a website

John Asmussen - who also accompanied James Cameron for the dive to the Bismarck Wreck -

anyway I digress - he has a website ( I am also 73north on that forum ) - the section you need is here

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/paint_schemes/paintbism1941rheinubung.html

That shows images that you click on , of each part of her brief life , what her colour scheme and camouflage pattern was in 1940 to 1941 .

This will answer all your questions

kind regards

David Walker

• Like 1

I have both books and they are truly excellent works.  I was unsure though due to the photos I have seen whether or not the decks are wood grates or steel.   In my research, someone mentioned that they are removable grates.  Whether that is true or not, I don't know.  The case would then become, when Bismarck was going into battle, where the grates removed and stowed?  Another option is that this could be a difference between Bismarck and Tirpitz.  I guess the smart thing to do would be to post this on the website.

Thanks for your response,  I appreciate your time.