Snowy Saturday = extra modelling time😀 So I spent the afternoon, sanding the seam a little on the Stirling, filling any gaps with waterbased filler,  a little more sanding😣and airbrushing the props, and exhausts. Sanding always makes me doubt my abilities, and with a heavy heart I approached the rear turret last night. Finally at 11:45pm it was complete, and I'm fairly happy with the result (not great pics sorry!).

DSC_2858

DSC_2862

DSC_2863

Kind of reminds me of Darth Vader! 

Screenshot_20180304-091115.png

Doing a little more research into the tail gunner during WW2, I came across this article about a tail end Charlie from a Wellington, not steeped in detail but poignant all the same.

https://themedthemadandthemod.com/tag/life-expectancy-of-a-rear-gunner/

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 5

Arrrrrrrrrhg 😡😡😡😡😤😢so all that time sanding in vain! Yes she has wings, and my she is an impressive beast, but.....giving her a quick blast of primer tonight has revealed a visible seam and a step at the rear. Tonight I shall be sanding...... Again🙄. Maybe patients is needed here, more haste less speed. 

DSC_2864

DSC_2865DSC_2866

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Bad luck Shellie, unfortunately repeat sanding is sometimes necessary and I don't know anyone who likes doing it :)

On the plus side, you can now tell what an impressive model it will be when it is done...

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

Seconded!

Some thin filler, or even TET and a little squeeze, will soon sort that out Shellie. If you have some Vallejo filler you can squeeze it down the seam then, after it's dried a bit, rub across the seam with a wet cotton bud and you're done.

HTH

• Like 2

A lot of sanding......filling........sanding........ Filling and sanding later, a coat of primer, and masking, and tonight she.was ready for a top coat. I have decided to stick with what I know and paint the lighter coat first (in this case the dark earth), but will spray the whole top side that colour, and mask the camo only once. As with the Horsa I used Revell dark earth, which sprayed evenly and without problems.

DSC_2874

DSC_2875DSC_2876

Leaving the Stirling to dry, I then began applying the decals to the Horsa. To be fair, there are not many to apply, although there are the dastardly campaign stripes. So armed with my trusty micro sol I set to work. 

DSC_2872

DSC_2873

(Apologies for the second picture) 

The decals went on quite well considering the size and thickness of them. Once dry I will apply the decals to the underside. Night all😴

• Like 6

A very neat job indeed - I'm really tempted to try a Horsa at some point.  Now here's a thought - if they were more or less 'one shot' or 'single use' aircraft then until they landed they wouldn't really exhibit any signs of 'weathering' I suppose.  Upon landing the word 'damage' rather than 'weathering' might be more apt.

Great work - very inspiring - Steve

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BIG X said:

A very neat job indeed - I'm really tempted to try a Horsa at some point.  Now here's a thought - if they were more or less 'one shot' or 'single use' aircraft then until they landed they wouldn't really exhibit any signs of 'weathering' I suppose.  Upon landing the word 'damage' rather than 'weathering' might be more apt.

Great work - very inspiring - Steve

Agreed,  looking at photographs of Horsa gliders after use, most are in several pieces..........I am attempting the pre landing look 😉.

Thanks Michelle. 

• Haha 1

Yesterday I began airbrushing the Dark green sections of camouflage on the top of the aircraft. For this I used Tamiya's flat dark green, it requires no thinner just a tad of flow improver and you get a nice even coat. Removing the masking revealed a time bit of bleeding, so tonight I carefully airbrushed a little dark earth to cover the over spray.

DSC_2878

DSC_2879

DSC_2880

I am pretty happy with how the camo has turned out, all nice and even and once dry I will mask her up for the areas requiring a coat of black. I have also applied the remaining decals on the Horsa.  These went on well, although matching the halves on the tail of the fuselage was very difficult. I am pondering airbrushing the campaign stripes on the tail of the Stirling, and using the decals on the wings......🤔🤔

• Like 6

The solution to my overly warm compressor?....... Stick it outside and use an extension lead🤗 

DSC_2887

so with Tamyia black back in the airbrush cup, the Stirling is finally dressed to impress. She is now drying and will receive a light second coat tomorrow 😌. Good night all.

• Like 4

Nice work Shellie :)

I had the same heat problem with a cheapo compressor and eventually the heat melted the little 'rubber' feet... so I invested in a 'proper one'. Time to start saving up?

• Haha 1

OK so I have issues with my black coat.......it won't dry! It could be a bad pot of Tamiya (a bad work person always blames their tools, right😉), or it could be me. It is still very tacky after 24 hours! How can I put this right chaps? I need your assistance! 

Edited by Shelliecool

10 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

OK so I have issues with my black coat.......it won't dry! It could be a bad pot of Tamiya (a bad work person always blames their tools, right😉), or it could be me. It is still very tacky after 24 hours! How can I put this right chaps? I need your assistance! 

Let it dry for further 24-48 h. You can't do anything on it by now. That's paint. Sorry for that. Let it dry, but if it won't dry, you have to wipe it off. Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Let it dry for further 24-48 h. You can't do anything on it by now. That's paint. Sorry for that. Let it dry, but if it won't dry, you have to wipe it off. Cheers

Hi Michelle,

I had that before with clear varnish....

But bbudde is right: patience is the key. Just leave your model well alone and resist the temptation to pock your finger onto the paint to see if it gets dry. 

From past experience, it should be totally dry in 6 months... Did I mention the word patience?

Obviously, if all else fails, wipe it off carefully and do it again... And this is supposed to be for fun...

JR

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Michelle,

I had that before with clear varnish....

But bbudde is right: patience is the key. Just leave your model well alone and resist the temptation to pock your finger onto the paint to see if it gets dry. 

From past experience, it should be totally dry in 6 months... Did I mention the word patience?

Obviously, if all else fails, wipe it off carefully and do it again... And this is supposed to be for fun...

JR

😬6 months!! I am hoping it won't take quite that long. If i was to wipe it off what should I use? 

Thanks, 

Michelle. 

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Hi Shellie - I have to admit it did look shiny in your picture. Which Tamiya black is it?

It's x-1, I've not had a problem spraying Tamiya before, ironically I de-masked it last night (not wanting to leave the mask on for ages) and apart from the tackiness it looks good. What would you do with it?

Thanks, 

Michelle 

Hmmm, I only have experience of Tamiya's acrylics (the XF range) so I'm no expert I'm afraid.

I have a box of those Boots 'cosmetic' cotton buds, the ones with the flat ends, and I soak the flat end in IPA* to gently (and accurately) remove any paint disasters. I also use the same technique to clean the whole model before primers (if I remember).

I've also got some IPA 'wound wipes' for grabbing in emergencies!

HTH and that someone with more Tamiya experience chips in...

* Isopropyl Alcohol, not the beer :)

• Thanks 1