Quick build update, last night I carefully applied the remaining decals to the aircraft. With micro sol these have settled nicely into place leaving me to seal them in with Quick Shine gloss tonight. There are a couple to small touch up jobs needed on the invasion stripes but other than that she looks resplendent....... Well I think so anyway. 

DSC_3015

DSC_3016DSC_3017DSC_3018

• Like 13

Having added the props, exhausts, pitot tubes, masts and other tiny pieces, last night I began weathering. I mixed up some black and earth weathering powder with thinners, and did a pin wash over the panel lines. I have also added some exhaust trails. Next I plan to add a little Chipping, and seal it all in with a matt coat.

DSC_3034

DSC_3035

• Like 9

Since my last post I have given the black underside a coat of Windsor and Newton matt varnish, this took a little while to dry🙄, but dry it finally did, so last night I gave her a second coat.

DSC_3052

Just the top side to matt varnish,  a couple of finishing touches and she's ready to fit to the stand.

• Like 5

I have been busy adding the finishing touches to the Stirling, Matt varnishing the top side, using weathering powders to add a little more dirt and wear to her, and finally adding aerial wires. Once this was finished I carefully attached the build to my stand, and she's done.

Stuka/Stirling

Stuka/StirlingStuka/StirlingStuka/Stirling

All that's left to do is a little research into the size of tow ropes, and the Stirling and Horsa can be joined together.

• Like 10

Very well done, but why did you paint the front of the engine cowlings yellow? Italeri tells you to paint them gloss brass which is totally wrong. These are the exhaust collector rings and should be a heat-stained steel.

Chris

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Very well done, but why did you paint the front of the engine cowlings yellow? Italeri tells you to paint them gloss brass which is totally wrong. These are the exhaust collector rings and should be a heat-stained steel.

Chris

That is revell gloss brass as the instructions suggest..........🤔may give them a coat of steel later.

Thanks Michelle

• Like 1

Very cool (if you'll excuse the pun with your screen name).

I've got the Italeri Horsa, and your build is tempting me to move it closer to the top of the TBP (To Build Pile).

DennisTheBear

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

That is revell gloss brass as the instructions suggest..........🤔may give them a coat of steel later.

Thanks Michelle

Yes, the instructions, as usual for such details, are wrong. On their bomber version of the Stirling, Italeri would have you paint them Flat Steel, a more appropriate colour.

And while on the proper colours, the central gear casings on the engines should be semi-gloss black, not medium grey. All Bristol engines were painted this way, going back to the early 1930's.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Your builds are improving exponentially!!!

Beautiful!

JR

• Thanks 1

Engine cowlings corrected, and waiting a dusting of black weathering powder.

2018-05-04_05-19-34

I will be attaching the pair with the correct thickness of fishing line very soon and the D-Day  double will be complete .

• Like 6