DHC RU-6A Beaver, 146th Radio Research Co`, Vietnam

Hi everyone, just put the finishing touches on my attempt at Hobbycrafts 1/48 Beaver, which I hope you don`t mind me sharing

xMgXHRg.jpg

Finished to represent a RU-6A Beaver of the 146th Radio Research Company, Army Security Agency, US Army, Vietnam

xMISxwx.jpg

Which were used to monitor North Vietnamese Radio Traffic and Intelligence Gathering

ZhI9Paj.jpg

I had to do on of these to compliment my RU-1A Otter I did a little while back that you may remember

xOLz14H.jpg

Apart from the obvious aerials and dipoles, made a few improvements the the base kit, including: brake pipes, steps on the undercarriage legs, embellished the kit steps on the fuselage........

usgdrw3.jpg

...made a new exhaust and wiring harness on the engine

WafWTqi.jpg

Markings came: some from the decal stash and some handpainting

Finally a shot of it with its bigger RU-1A Otter brother...

8M6ZgYB.jpg

Hope you enjoy, Thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

PS I`ve done some new shots of the Otter now I`ve added the missing centre pillar on the windscreen and thanks to Larry for providing the kit

• Like 67

Quite a rare beast to see here .NIce work in this model too Like to see the Otter next.  

Must dust down my Built floatplane on its watery base some time. to check out its condition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spfparker said:

Nice

Hobbycraft Beavers seem to be hard to come by - been looking for a floatplane version for ages..

Thanks `SP`, Yeah they`re not as common as they used to be, mine came from Florida USA I was lucky to find someone who swapped it for a Tarangus Safir I couldn`t use.

I`m looking out for two more, one to do as a French Indochina bird and another to do in Laos markings. 

43 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Quite a rare beast to see here .NIce work in this model too Like to see the Otter next.  

Must dust down my Built floatplane on its watery base some time. to check out its condition.

Cheers Paul, re the Otter: if you click on either the `US Army` or `Nam` tags at the top of the pictures you`ll find the Otter with no much trouble. 

18 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Looks great. If this 1/48 is anything like my 1/72 one - clear plastic fuselage, you've done an excellent job getting a quality result.

Thanks `KF`, yeah the fuselage is the same, clear, not the greatest idea ever, is it? Wouldn`t be as bad if they`d bothered to mould all of the window shapes in it though.

Cheers Russ

Once again Russ you leave me nigh on speechless. Your ideas and execution are stunning as usual. I look forward to all your builds just for the surprise, and i'm never dissapointed.  

Can't wait to sea what you have up your sleeve (well! maybe on your workbench) for the next installment.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Russ,

these shady operators all sported deliciously lugubrious paint jobs. Beautiful!!!

Keep them coming!

JR

• Like 1