Harvard MkII

Henners

Hi,

Im looking to make a 1/48 Italeri model on my grandfathers old Harvard he trained in in Canada in WW2. Hopefully the link works to the pic below! 

Can anyone help with where to look for roundels and lettering to match the markings in the pic, or else suggest stencils? 

Much appreciated, 

Henry

Screenshot_20180211-224247_zps52ar1kik.p 

16 hours ago, Henners said:

Im looking to make a 1/48 Italeri model

There are different boxings,  the important bit is the canopies,   there are two versions.

there have been threads here on this

OK, here

has links to previous discussions as well.

@Etiennedup  has a flickr with period colour

this is very similar to the pic you posted, so maybe of use for detail and weathering.

note the long exhaust pipe, which was fitted to Canadian Harvards for cockpit heating IIRC

3497830706_f989605730_o.jpgNorth American Harvard by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Screenshot_20180211-224247_zps52ar1kik.p

more colour Harvards here.  some from Canada

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787%40N07&q=harvard

HTH

A couple of points:

The serial in the picture seems to be 2565 or possibly 2585.  Can you confirm the serial and unit, perhaps from your grandfather's logbook?

Both 2565 and 2586 were from an early batch built by North American in California and imported.  They were in service as early as September/October 1940.

2565 served first at 4 SFTS Saskatoon and later at 32 SFTS at Moose Jaw.  It went to Crown Assets for disposal in 1946.

2585 was at Uplands and later as a bombing trainer at Jarvis.  It lasted in service until 1960.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Henners said:

Hi,

Can anyone suggest enamel paint colours for Type A roundels and markings? Thinking I will paint the tail markings.

59 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

Check out the Xtracolour range through Hannants for Roundel colours.

atb

Nick

note the Canadian plane above has the bright pre-war colours.

not the xtradecals sheet, while in the dull wartime colours, does have tail striping

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48031

I'm not sure in colourcaots has the bright red and blue, @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies  could say though

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

note the Canadian plane above has the bright pre-war colours.

not the xtradecals sheet, while in the dull wartime colours, does have tail striping

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48031

I'm not sure in colourcaots has the bright red and blue, @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies  could say though

Hi Troy, we don't have the bright colours. I'm not convinced I could sell a whole batch to be honest?

And this is where I'm getting confused! Is the link to the decals attached not to the colours I'm looking for? They look correct by proportions of design and therefore my assumption I was looking for type A. Am I in fact looking for something else? Also very happy to paint but been trying to find the best paint options. Can see a fee threads on type B and post war paint shades but nothing earlier in enamels. 

Henry 

On 26/02/2018 at 10:39, Henners said:

Also very happy to paint but been trying to find the best paint options. Can see a fee threads on type B and post war paint shades but nothing earlier in enamels. 

Henry

A look at the paint chart in British Avaition Colours, Humbrol 25 Dark Blue and 60 Red looked pretty close

this is the chart

bstablegb_1.JPG

the colurs are the Matt Red and Matt Blue,  you will note  the wartime Red  is brick red. and Blue is dark blue.

The Canadian planes seem to have used the brighter pre-war colours

5969278879_4b7dc77fc0_o.jpgNorth American Yales in Canada         1942. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

usual caveats about WW2 colour etc etc,  but the dark blue  is Humbrol 25 and red is Humbrol 60  on these figures.

DSCF0715_zpsl0fpk8ml.jpg

HTH

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd post an update of where I am so far.  Cockpit done along with some prep of a few other items.  Currently working the canopy.  Next to decide whether I should undercoat grey and apply black pre-shading or undercoat black... 

IMG_20180325_003805

• Like 1

• 1 month later...