Hasegawa 1/72 Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat

I have finally managed to get something finished. This is Hasegawa's 1/72 F4F-3 Wildcat 'Yellow Wings' boxing, which has AeroMaster Decals. It's quite an old kit now dating back to 1995, but the decals went on fine, and despite my misgivings, all the trim and stripes fitted perfectly. The subject I chose is Bureau No. 1850 of VF-41 from the USS Ranger, 1941.   

This took me quite a while as I found masking the colours a bit of a challenge. I used Colourcoats enamels for the Chrome yellow and Willow green US Navy colours, and Vallejo Aluminium for the laquered fuselage. It was all a bit too glossy so I gave it a coat of matt varnish to tone it down a bit.

Hope you like it.  

Wildcat

Wildcat

Wildcat

Wildcat

Wildcat

Wildcat

Wildcat

Wildcat

Wildcat

The Wildcat turned out to be bigger than I had thought. Here she is with her sibling, an old Airfix Hellcat.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Hopefully that has brightened up your day, It certainly adds some colour to the collection B)

Thanks for looking.

• Like 42

Very nice result! The US pre-war machines as really very colorful, unususal for all military machines ever, I think. Although I like much more WWII schemes...

Regrads

J-W

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Very nice & clean build.

Thanks, I couldn't bring myself to 'weather' it. She's brand spanking new :)

2 hours ago, JWM said:

Very nice result! The US pre-war machines as really very colorful, unususal for all military machines ever, I think.

Thank you. Yes, they certainly were amongst the most colourful and flamboyant. I have a few more in the stash, including a F2A Buffalo. Can't resist em.

13 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

1995 an old kit? Used to be a time when I thought a 1995 mould was a brand new tooling :mellow:

I think of it as a fairly new, modern kit. But it's 23 years old! (I won't mention the Airfix Hellcat;)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

That's a great build, very neat paint finish. 1995 an old kit? Used to be a time when I thought a 1995 mould was a brand new tooling :mellow:

I related to this much more than I would have liked, Flyer.:worry:

Great little Wildcat. You know I don't think I've seen a pic of the  yellow winged birds dirty. So your weathering is spot on.B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice build! You did a great job with the decaling, BTW! Not a big fan of the pre-war Wildcat schemes myself, but you have done a bang-up job on this one! Nice touch, dropping the elevators, too.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all the positive comments, guys. Much appreciated.

22 hours ago, boffin said:

I have that boxing - I may move it up the queue

George

I can recommend it. Not quite as much internal detail as the new Airfix Wildcat, but I much prefer the restrained surface detail. Plus the 'yellow wings' option of course.

I do have a couple of the Airfix kit's, however. The folding wings are a nice option.