Tornado GR4

LaurieS

Building a Tornado which will be as if in Afghanistan and on the tarmac without pilots on board.

Slats and Flaps.

Is there any position up or down, they would not be in on the ground as described above.

Is there any combination of slats to flaps which would not occur on the ground.

Any help most greatly appreciated.

Laurie

This is a yes and no answer, looking at images online most aircraft are parked with everything shut but there are exceptions. The only thing worth noting was I didnt see anything with the airbrakes open, so slats are ok but brakes arent

If it were me it would be inclined to shut everything but its personal preference

I bet its something to do with sand

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel.  Studying photos it appears that a third have different options open. The rest all closed.

Must look at the Afghanistan ones closer. Your point on sand is a good one.

Thanks again.

Laurie

Remember reading that everything is closed up unless there was a fault/servicing required and then slats/flaps may be left down or airbrakes left open for maintenance. 

Muzz

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Remember reading that everything is closed up unless there was a fault/servicing required and then slats/flaps may be left down or airbrakes left open for maintenance. 

Muzz

Thanks Muzz. Su8re that is correct. Since receiving Nigel's reply above I have taken a good look at all photos I can find of the Tornado on the ground at Kandahar Airport.

The only ones with flaps and slats other than closed were a couple with engineers servicing the aircraft.

So thanks Nigel and Muzz for sorting this out.

Laurie

Hi Julian

Thanks for the info and your time.

Got all three GR4 walk arounds book marked. Some great photos there.

The detail is great. Fine views for the time I get to the effects stage.

Thanks again.

Laurie

I recall reading a while back, possibly even on this forum, that some RAF squadrons on some types of aircraft have had their own procedures as to how a parked aircraft is left if more than one option is available with penalties for those who get it wrong or follow habits learned on another squadron.      No idea whether that still happens today or if it happens on active service. 

• Like 1

I think i may be able to help here, ive recently left IX (B) sqn where i was a liney on the lovely Tonka. The flaps and slats have different positions depending on what you need, flap wise there are 3 main positions up, mid and down. When the flaps are in these positions the slats will be all the way out. The picture above will the flaps out is the mid position and when they are down they go further down. Airbrake wise they can be left open or closed doesnt really matter.

In terms of how they would be left, 9n a see in the flaps and slats are checked by us lineys, if everything is okay we tell the pilots to close them soo most often they will be closed. If there is a problem they will be left down. They may also be put down due to work needing to taking place on the jet. With the airbrakes they are generally left open when a hyd rig is attached to the jet, this is as under the airbrake there is a popper that needs to be reset after the hyd rig has been used.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask away :)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Motley said:

I think i may be able to help here, ive recently left IX (B) sqn where i was a liney on the lovely Tonka. The flaps and slats have different positions depending on what you need, flap wise there are 3 main positions up, mid and down. When the flaps are in these positions the slats will be all the way out. The picture above will the flaps out is the mid position and when they are down they go further down. Airbrake wise they can be left open or closed doesnt really matter.

In terms of how they would be left, 9n a see in the flaps and slats are checked by us lineys, if everything is okay we tell the pilots to close them soo most often they will be closed. If there is a problem they will be left down. They may also be put down due to work needing to taking place on the jet. With the airbrakes they are generally left open when a hyd rig is attached to the jet, this is as under the airbrake there is a popper that needs to be reset after the hyd rig has been used.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask away :)

Thanks for your time and info Motley. Very much appreciated. Did not get the picture. Appreciated if you would publish it.

Many thanks.

Laurie