CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

Fozzy

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Good fortune go with you and we will see you later

Ill get the beer in when you come back

Make it a Vodka and coke my man!

• Haha 1

Just caught up. WOW!! For both the dexterity and attention to detail, but also the realisation of what it actually meant to be a ball gunner...

Hope Mrs Fozzy is soon on the mend.

Christian, exiled to africa, but granted a return home very shortly!

• 1 month later...

Afternoon guys!

I have just returned from UK and I am now back in my office and can get to my bench!....the last time I posted was 15 March and of course not being able to do any modelling this post is going to be a small update.

So its the continuation of the Ball turret that seems to get more and more complicated the more I look at the photos. I have many photos of different angles of the interior of the turret that I have collected over the months and its a real slow process of interpreting what I see!....not to mention that some of the equipment I have scratch built will be able to be seen but only if you look carefully in all the nooks and crannies!.....as in  the real turret there isn't a spare scrap of space!

So I continued with building an electrical control box that sits on the front of the ammo cans.....here it is.....

J.jpg

I painted the said object and before placing into the turret I built the manual elevation shaft control that the gunner would use if there was no power to the controls....this sits somehow on the front of the electrical control box!.......

J_(1).jpg

The last 3 photos show the progress I have made by looking at the white un painted parts.......

J_(2).jpg

J_(3).jpg

J_(4).jpg

So as you can see....real slow progress for such a small part in this B17G project!

When I have made a bit more progress I will post again....so until then...

Thanks for taking a look

Fozzy

• Like 22

15 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Nice to have you back Fozzy.

I hope everything went okay.

Thanks for asking Bigdave!.....everything is now fine!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Good

and good to have you back, there not here

Looks amazing of course

Cheers Bill!

• Like 1

I’m throwing myself on the train of impressed spectators. Amazing work and creativity, absolutely top notch! If possible you should have left the upper ball half transparent .

I’ve you’ve ever seen a Star Wars movie, you’ll quickly spot how the Martin ball turret inspired the tie fighters, also on Harrison Ford’s spaceship you spot elements from B-17’s

Not to forget the troopers running around waving with white painted MG42’s, in a galaxy far away...... hehe

Edited by Nils

2 hours ago, Nils said:

I’m throwing myself on the train of impressed spectators. Amazing work and creativity, absolutely top notch! If possible you should have left the upper ball half transparent .

I’ve you’ve ever seen a Star Wars movie, you’ll quickly spot how the Martin ball turret inspired the tie fighters, also on Harrison Ford’s spaceship you spot elements from B-17’s

Not to forget the troopers running around waving with white painted MG42’s, in a galaxy far away...... hehe

Cheers Nils.....I know what you mean about Star Wars....although I'm not a big fan ..my age you see!!...I am more of a Trekkie and am really enjoying Lost in Space at the moment as I grew up with the original!

Also I have plans for the top half of the turret to be exposed which will be in keeping with the rest of this project!

BTW lads.....is anyone having problems with Postimage at the moment (if you use them that is)...my photos keep disappearing...seems to be some sort of link problem!....anyone know what the problem is?

Cheers

Fozzy

We have had postimage.org  problems they had an identity crisis/hack/thingy but after a discussion Mike has run a database fix which ought to sort it

Delete your links/bookmarks for postimage.org and search postimg.cc, then save that in your favourites

That should sort it for you

😬Its been quite irritating.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

We have had postimage.org  problems they had an identity crisis/hack/thingy but after a discussion Mike has run a database fix which ought to sort it

Delete your links/bookmarks for postimage.org and search postimg.cc, then save that in your favourites

That should sort it for you

😬Its been quite irritating.

Bill your a star mate!.......i will get onto this tomorrow and hope to God it works as "irritating" is not the word I was looking for!!!:fight:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there chaps

Been a while since I last posted due to the fact that Spring is here and every year I have to fix house problems tend to the garden etc etc also add to the mix that this turret build is pretty complicated!😕

I have a method in scratch building this turret now and that is to build it in layers!...from the top of the ammo cans to the next piece of equipment and then the next layer would be another part of the system to the next part and so forth. ....because of the amount of stuff that's packed into the ball its the only way I seem to be able to do it!

So here is the next layer!😉.....

As you can see all the white parts are the detail that I have added since my last post.......

K.jpg

K_(1).jpg

K_(2).jpg

K_(3).jpg

This shot is looking in through the gunners hatch.........

K_(4).jpg

K_(5).jpg

So with a bit of paint added here is what it looks like so far........

K_(6).jpg

K_(7).jpg

K_(8).jpg

K_(9).jpg

K_(10).jpg

K_(11).jpg

K_(12).jpg

So now I have to put another layer of detail on....probably the last bit hopefully!...then I can get on with the Radio room!

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 12

Stunning (as always).

How did they fit a human in there with all that stuff, and how did he see anything? I never realised how much was in those ball turrets.

• Like 1

Cheers lads......and there's more equipment to go in....including the huge gun site box!

• Like 1