CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

Fozzy

15 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

Have you considered approaching one of the bigger museums - Duxford or Cosford? With the quality of this build I am sure they would jump at the chance to display it?

Have to agree with this suggestion. Either a museum or RAF base would probably love to have that for a display piece (esp if it's in RAF colors...😜) Or just do what we would all love to do, and have an entire room dedicated to our hobby.

• Like 1

Hey chaps....thanks a lot for your kind words of encouragement!

I have thought about asking one of the Museums if they are interested in displaying this for me...rather than the whole thing just put in the cupboard (a large cupboard!!) for the dust to settle on it!. First of all I have to finish it which as I said will take a while longer and then I have to really think about the display aspect as I have mentioned and then I will approach one of the Museums to see if anyone is interested.

Talking of Museums...has anyone heard of the V1 WEAPONS MUSEUM....which is somewhere is Essex?...many years ago I was commissioned to scratch build many pieces for dioramas ...years and years of my work went into the Museum but the owner (real nice guy)...passed away and I moved away to Bulgaria and I am not sure whether the Museum ever opened or if it  exists any more!....let me know if anyone know's of it's existence....I'd love to visit it again!

I'd have guessed the old spy camera size 4mm would be right but there might be issues with the transport sprocket size...

Tune in here for more fabulous fotos from Fozzy

Truly fabulous miniaturisation

• Haha 1

Hmm, not heard of that one Fozzy.  I was wondering, in terms of museums, of the 100th bomb group museum at Thorpe Abbotts- lovely little museum with the control tower & a couple of buildings, but always nice to visit and beautifully maintained.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bar side said:

Hmm, not heard of that one Fozzy.  I was wondering, in terms of museums, of the 100th bomb group museum at Thorpe Abbotts- lovely little museum with the control tower & a couple of buildings, but always nice to visit and beautifully maintained.

Cheers!...I'll have to look into that Museum when I'm next over!

7 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Cheers!...I'll have to look into that Museum when I'm next over!

My pic of the tower from last year.  The glasshouses. On the top has a map of the field and they play a loop of engine drone that makes you keep looking up to see what is coming in!  No runways left but you do get the feel of the place

Yje4_QBJWM07RmVJZQ8nHgIidUbOY4490mE6lNIG

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bar side said:

My pic of the tower from last year.  The glasshouses. On the top has a map of the field and they play a loop of engine drone that makes you keep looking up to see what is coming in!  No runways left but you do get the feel of the place

Yje4_QBJWM07RmVJZQ8nHgIidUbOY4490mE6lNIG

Looks fabulous!

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon to you all!

It's me back to bother you once again!!

My last post showed that I had finished the camera pit and so it was on to completing the radio room floor and the floor area that houses the ball turret.

So we will start of with the constructing photos I took of the floor area behind the radio room bulk head.....

consructing_the_area_for_the_ball_turret

The big hole will be for the ball turret!...eventually!

Here you can see the Azimuth gear ring for operating the 360 degree turret swivel....this took some time and patience as I made it out of scores of very small cut pieces of wire....aaaaggghh!

...and here is the walk way for the ball turret.

The next few photos are of the area painted .....

painting_the_area_for_the_ball_turret.jp

painting_the_area_for_the_ball_turret_(1

painting_the_area_for_the_ball_turret_(2

painting_the_area_for_the_ball_turret_(3

painting_the_area_for_the_ball_turret_(4

So now it was back to the radio room floor that had to be finished off.

You will see that I have made the hatch for the camera pit which I will display open to show the pit ...as not many people know of the area!!....the wooden floor boards put in place (lots of carpentry in the B17....less weight!)...and the walkways.I also put in a couple of hand cranks on the bottom of the forward bulkhead which were for the adjusting of heat in the cabin.....as far as I'm aware!

finishing_off_the_radio_room_floor.jpg

finishing_off_the_radio_room_floor_(1).j

finishing_off_the_radio_room_floor_(2).j

What I wanted to do now was have a look at the initial fit for the ball turret. A few adjustments here and there and she slotted into position......this is just a dry fit as later on I have to do a lot more work on the top of the turret.

You can also see in the last photo that I have shown the scale by putting my coffee cup next to it!.....

checking_the_fit_for_the_ball_turret.jpg

checking_the_fit_for_the_ball_turret_(1)

checking_the_fit_for_the_ball_turret_(2)

checking_the_fit_for_the_ball_turret_(3)

So that's the lower half completed at long last.

I am now going to start on the upper half the radio room but I haven't got long before I depart from my office for a couple of months for the Christmas period. I will try and get another post ready but not sure of the time I have.

In the meantime I do hope you are all enjoying preparing for Christmas....not sure if I am!!...Bah Humbug!

Cheers for taking a peek!

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 8

A few photos would not load for some reason......working on it!

Lets see if this works!!

Finishing off the radio room floor.....

finishing_off_the_radio_room_floor_(3).j

finishing_off_the_radio_room_floor_(4).j

finishing_off_the_radio_room_floor_(5).j

Unbelievable!!...doesn't work!.....I will give it another go tomorrow!

...any ideas why just 6 photos wont load?

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 8

Thanks guys!

You were right Bill...some of the photos have re appeared....same story as this time last year!...this site doesn't like the falling snow I'm sure!

Here are the last few photos that didn't make the post.....

checking_the_fit_for_the_ball_turret_(4)

checking_the_fit_for_the_ball_turret_(5)

checking_the_fit_for_the_ball_turret_(6)

2 hours ago, bar side said:

Looks great Fozzy - looking forward to seeing the completed parts so far together. The wood finish looks spot on - real wood with a fine grain?

No not real wood Bar Side I'm afraid!....I sort of cheated with using my old trick of gluing wood sample prints from B+Q!!

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

No not real wood Bar Side I'm afraid!....I sort of cheated with using my old trick of gluing wood sample prints from B+Q!!

Excellent!  Looks right & ingenious 

Totally irrelevant bird visitor but I am testing using my postimage set here

P1100440.jpg

Seems to be OK on this, I wonder if you are having a cache clearing issue

I spent an hour in Brum city centre having issues with phone attended to expertly by a 'guru' and she taught me plenty of useful things to consider

Hope you can post what you want ASAP Fozzy cos the B17 is growing even perfecter

Good day chaps........

TESTING TESTING 123..........

home20page201-1.jpg

L.jpg

Nout to do with the B17 but thought I'd give posting photos a go today!!

Could we be back to normal???....I chuffin hope so!

• Like 3

Thanks for persevering with the pics, it would be a shame not to have seen them all as she really is looking very smart now it's all starting to come together. Enjoy your stay back in Blighty and Happy Christmas!

Ian

Ps don't worry about our Bill waffling on to himself, at least it shows he's still semi compos mentis!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...