CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

Fozzy

RADIO EQUIPMENT ABOVE THE RADIO OPS DESK INSTALLED

Hi guys

We continue!...............

I spent all this week since the last post installing all the radio equipment I scratched......As a reminder this included ..the radio ops desk that had the Liaison Receiver ,spare turbo amplifier ,headphones ,transmitter master switch ,transmitting key and desk lamp. I also installed the Command dynamoter and modulator ,the fire extinguisher ,portable oxygen bottle , IFF crash switch and the oxygen regulator and panel...I don't think I left anything out!

Here are some photos...............

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_insta

So staying in this area I will now scratch build all the equipment that can be found underneath the radio ops desk....not as much gear so I will make the radio ops chair as well!

Happy modelling guys and see you on the next post!

Cheers for taking a look

Fozzy

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I assume it has all been tested and works properly!

Ian

That's how I communicate with UK from Bulgaria Ian!!😉

• Haha 1

Hi Fozzy, your work and dedication to replicate the B-17 is stunning, been following since the beginning! I'm also a big fan of the Flying fortress  and however I think I have to advise you that in the "G" model the radio operator interior wall were left in bare metal and not painted in green , there is photographic proof of it , also happened with the bombardier  and navigator (some  olive padding parts), only the cockpit  had some Dull dark green  which looks a bit different than the one you are using... 

Screenshot-1558.png

42-97880-15oct44a-photo-1024x770.jpg

media-36962.jpg

FRE-006915.jpg

media-29507.jpg

Screenshot-1591.png

dull-dark-green.jpg

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Like 2

Hi antonio argudo

Thanks for your input on the interior paint colours of the B17G....There are no rules for wether the radio room was painted bronze green or left bare metal...I have studied many photos of the B17 and nearly each photo cancels each other out when it comes to wether it was painted or left bare metal......so you take your choice!.... I have decided to go with the radio room being painted because that is what "Fuddy Duddy" scheme was. Agreed that the colour might be a different shade than other colours one see's in the Fort but the camera always shows a different shade in any case.

Here is "Fuddy Duddy"......

b-17g-fuddy-duddy-2-1.jpg

Its a real mind twister!

Cheers

• Like 7

Hi fozzy, thanks for the reply, if you are building a warbird then your choice is  right, I have never seen a B17 G  ww2  picture with the radio/navigator  & bombardier room with green painted interior walls, do you have it?  I'm curious, "Fuddy Duddy" looks amazing, great work as always mate!

cheers

Edited by antonio argudo

I love that radio gear Fozzy, s'mazing

I think you are right to choose the green, how many times do we see colours that were not as listed inside these old birds

And it makes the pieces you build 'pop' out at us

Lovely job mate

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

THE EQUIPMENT BENEATH THE RADIO OPS DESK

Hi to all!

Here is the next episode to this never ending saga!

Before I start I want to say that I do realize that this scratch build is not 100% accurate.The interior colours I have chosen are a mish mash taken from hundreds of photos I have collected.The other problem is that it seems that The Flying Fortress's interior used different equipment and placed them in different areas of the aircraft....for example the Tokyo shut off valves. I have placed them on my model beneath the Radio ops desk ...which some of the G variants were... whereas other "Gs" had them on the aft bomb bay bulk head. This of course causes me confusion and I have to go one way or the other. At the end of the day I have to convince my self that this is my own interpretation of this glorious Aircraft and it's never going to be completely accurate and to exact scale as scratch building is really flying blind!!

Reason why I am rambling on is because this project is taking so long and at times I feel that I have bitten off more than I can chew and I have to  convince my self to carry on...regardless!

ANY WAY..............................................

I have scratched all the bits and bobs that seem to be under the radio ops table although as I said ...difficult to know what was and wasn't installed!. ....but starting with the radio ops seat...here it is ready for painting....

Equipment_beneath_the_radio_ops_table_an

here's the scale.......

All painted with the seat straps fixed....

I have labeled whats what with the various equipment in the next couple of photos...the usual plastic scraps and wire were the order of the day!.............

I attached the top section and tried to poke the camera through the back end and sides to get the shots of the equipment!....

I then glued the seat in position and took a few more photos......

OK....so that's that part done!

I am going to go to the rear port side of the radio room now to scratch what ever I see in the photos I have!

Thanks for taking the time to look in

Fozzy

• Like 13

ludicrous!

Ludicrously brilliant I mean of course, this is tremendous modelling Fozzy

Makes me sad that most of us can only aspire to your heights but what great heights to aspire to

Marvellous

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

:gobsmacked:

Hard to believe this is all done from odds and ends - I bet the guy at your local recycling centre is like, Oh no he's back again quick hide everything, pretend we're closed! :pray:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Another epic update - this is such a fun thread to follow. I love this kind of old-school modelling and it’s sadly a skill that is dying out in today’s “shake and bake” world. You have some serious skills. 

In regard to interior colours, Antonio is absolutely correct - never, at any time, during B-17 construction was interior green used. It’s one of the great myths surrounding this wonderful aircraft. The only painted area of a Fortress interior was the exposed metal on the flight deck, which was bronze (or dark dull) green. All other areas, from the YB-17s to the last G models off the production lines, had the remainder of their interior unpainted. Up to mid-batch F models, there was an olive green insulation fitted to the nose and radio room areas, but this was often removed in combat due to fire hazard/excess weight. 

However, basing your build on the modern-day warbird Fuddy Duddy means you’re absolutely correct to paint the interior the way you have. Most modern-day restorations have the interiors painted to help with long term preservation and reducing corrosion, but why they are so often finished in interior green is a mystery to me as it was never, ever, used in B-17s. 

Tom

• Like 3

I was chuffed with myself for making a headlight for a T90 tank when I lost the original. 

I might go set that model on fire now and sell all my gear.

This is flipping amazing. What a talent you have mate.

• Like 1

Thanks again chaps for your kind remarks and for the interior paint info Tom.....I will however continue with the "modern day War Bird" theme and put the rest down to "Artistic interpretation"!! 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Fozzy, Epic stuff as always. 

Here's a challenge for you, the radio ops desk needs a 'twenty mission hat' on it.

Though I now can't remember which film that quote comes from!

I'm also not sure which film that quote came from Pete...as for the challenge....I think I have enough challenges just to get through this project!😟

• Haha 2

Great job and great effort, just keep it up!

Also, if I may add to the discussion about the B-17 interior colors... Yes, it's correct that Boeing and Vega didn't paint it, but what about Douglas?

B-17G-25-DL 42-38078, waist area obviously painted in some shade of green.

31568d4d39a83973206acd084f26d7f1.jpg

B-17G-30-DL 42-38122, waist area natural metal, but the radio room is obviously painted in some shade of green.

19970464_510689262596020_673345536_n.jpg

B-17G-45-DL 44-6179,  bomb bay natural metal, radio room in some shade of green, waist area natural metal again.

20196767_514348755563404_1422901883_n.jp

Best regards to all. ;)

• Like 2

Well!...this is the problem that all modelers face when it comes to authenticity of their models!....very interesting!.....

I had the same problem when scratching a Mk 11A  Spitfire cockpit....the Hornets nest was well and truly stirred when it came to what was the  colour of the crow bar on the door panel?....some people said Red...some said green! ....it was green BTW!!😉

• Like 2

You can paint the whole thing fluorescent pink as long you keep up this incredible, eye-popping build. The detail is so authentic I can practically smell that interior.

I can only echo what others have said time and again: you're a wizard with scrap materials!

Alan

• Like 1

@Rakovica those images are fantastic. I’ve been researching the B-17 for over 20yrs and never have I seen conclusive proof until now that Douglas painted areas of their interiors. I’d heard and read reference to it  but never seen images - until now. Fantastic stuff and thanks for sharing!

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
Typos
  • Like 2