CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

Fozzy

Well hi there one and all!

After a long long break which included Christmas/New Year and a trip to San Diego to see family I have finally returned to my office and the B17G.......I do hope the start of this year has been kind to you all so far!

So what have I done?...well I have done all the basic construction for the top half of the radio room. It took some time as the sky light above the radio room proved to be a bit of a pain to get it together...I just hope that it looks ok!😞

The insides to the Balsa fuselage was covered with the plastic from yogurt pots as I usually do and then the ribs and other detail was glued into place using plastic card.

Here are the photos starting with just the top half of the fuselage..................

Basic_construction_on_the_top_section.jp

Basic_construction_on_the_top_section_(1

Basic_construction_on_the_top_section_(2

Basic_construction_on_the_top_section_(3

...and here are the two halves put together temporarily using some masking tape!.........

Basic_construction_on_the_top_section_(4

Basic_construction_on_the_top_section_(5

Basic_construction_on_the_top_section_(6

Basic_construction_on_the_top_section_(7

Basic_construction_on_the_top_section_(8

Basic_construction_on_the_top_section_(9

A bit of a boring post I must admit but......  the next few posts to come will be much more interesting as I will be starting scratching all the radios etc ....after I have given the inside a spray up!!

So until then...once again thanks for looking in🙂

Fozzy

• Like 21

FUSE PANEL ,RADIO ROOM HATCH AND CONTROL CABLES!

Hi guys

Hows it all going in the model world?

Here we have the next installment of the radio room build for this B17G...as the the title states I managed to get 3 things completed since the last post....so starting with the fuse box here are some photos............

Fuse_panel,radio_room_hatch_and_control_

Quite straight forward really...a thickish piece of plastic was cut and manipulated into the fuse box!!

It was then painted and cables added to it ....and here it is installed in it's rightful position!

I then played around with the radio room hatch by adding the 4 escape/securing handles....basically I bent a sliver of aluminum from a cola can

Then started the real fun and games!

I never thought that adding the control cables would be such a pain!..I mean I put the cables into the nose section and the bomb bay without the blasted hassle I had this time.....is was all done by trial and error...starting over twice as I just couldn't get it to look right...I tried different gauges of electrical wire....I even tried using some fishing line!..the glue wouldn't set or I couldn't get the cables to tighten...but in the end I found some other small gauge electrical wire which wouldn't bend and made some guiders(for want of a better word) so that the cables were at equal distances to each other!....

Not sure if I know what I'm talking about!!😟....so here are the photos of the end result!!

Oh .....I also sprayed the internal walls and placed the two window perspex on either side of the fuselage.

So that's it for another week guys.........thanks a lot for looking in

Laters

Fozzy

• Like 20

Fozzy,

I'm going to link this to the BBC so they broadcast when you're around for all to see.

Lovely cables etc, another great post. BTW, guiders = fairleads in aviation (and boat) speak.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB757GB758&q=fairlead+aviation&tbm=isch&source=univ&safe=strict&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjuw4K89IThAhWVwOYKHVU4C38QsAR6BAgFEAE

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Fozzy,

I'm going to link this to the BBC so they broadcast when you're around for all to see.

Lovely cables etc, another great post. BTW, guiders = fairleads in aviation (and boat) speak.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB757GB758&q=fairlead+aviation&tbm=isch&source=univ&safe=strict&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjuw4K89IThAhWVwOYKHVU4C38QsAR6BAgFEAE

Cheers

Pete

Thanks for the heads up on Guiders Pete...at least I got the word correct!!

Cheers to Thom216 and CedB 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BITS AND BOBS ABOVE THE RADIO OPS DESK

Hi chaps

Another week gone by and more equipment scratched

There is so much equipment in the radio room that I decided to break it down into areas.....so today's post will be concerning the gear above the radio ops desk including what would have been on the desk!

So to start with I knocked up the ops table......

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk.jpg

....and on this table we first need the Liaison Receiver. ....a 4 sided plastic square with scrap plastic and wire for switches etc!

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(1).j

A bit of paint applied and a paper dial glued into place and hopefully all is well!

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(2).j

So I then scratched the radio ops headset....darn fiddly especially with the small gauge wire I had to use!

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(3).j

Here is the transmitting key and Liaison transmitter master switch (the pin is to show the scale)...........

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(4).j

...and the radio ops light...built using thin gauge wire....

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(5).j

this is the spare turbo amplifier.....

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(6).j

The next few photos are of the equipment so far upon the radio operators desk.....

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(7).j

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(8).j

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(9).j

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(10a)

Here is the Command dynamotor and modulator and its little shelf bracket before and after painting 

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(11a)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(12a)

The IFF crash switch ( I believe this was activated to destroy all radio equipment in an event of a crash!)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(13a)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(14a)

The portable oxygen bottle.........

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(15a)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(16a)

....and the fire extinguisher....(I have just noticed that when I accidentally knocked off the top of the extinguisher I super glued it back on upside down!ha ha!...will have to fix that later!)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(17a)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(18a)

...and finally here is the oxygen regulator and panel......

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(19a)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(20a)

So that took all week to do!

The next post will be all that you see here placed into the radio room on the model.

Once again I want to say that I appreciate all of you who are following this build....and just to let you know you are all on year 6 I think!!

Cheers guys!

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 17

I have enough of a problem trying to find referances to detail in 1:72. I have no idea where you come up with all your referances, let alone how much time it would have taken to accrue it all!

Ian

26 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I have enough of a problem trying to find referances to detail in 1:72. I have no idea where you come up with all your referances, let alone how much time it would have taken to accrue it all!

Ian

The mighty Internet Ian!...and I have been collecting info for years now just for this project!