CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

Fozzy

9 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

An interesting addition, and an area of the B17 that I never even knew existed! It just shows you never know what useful stuff you'll learn each day! 

Ian

Yes.. your right Ian!...I have learn' t so much in doing this project in the last 4 odd years!😉

10 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Really good as usual! 

Agree with Spookytooth on the use of scrap components - very effective. Might have to start collecting and breaking up old electronic do-dads! 🤔

I have been breaking up old TVs ,Radios etc since I was a kid...amazing what you can use from them for scratch building Steve!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

CAMERA PIT PART 2

Hi guys

I have now managed to complete the camera pit after rather a difficult week or so trying to find information about the equipment that is found in the pit. I do hope that I have done the area justice and hope that it is realistic enough!

Its rather a large post so lets get on with it!.😉...

To start with I made the main Junction box and wired it all up.....here's a photo.....

Camera_pit_part_2.jpg

Here it is all painted.....

Camera_pit_part_2_(1).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(2).jpg

I then had to make the Intervallmeter power box which is connected to the camera which allows photos to be taken at intervals for photos of bomb blasts on the target ......this was a fiddly affair being so small but got there in the end!.....

Camera_pit_part_2_(3).jpg

...and painted.....

Camera_pit_part_2_(4).jpg

This insect posed for me whilst taking the shot!!

Camera_pit_part_2_(5).jpg

Here we have a couple of Supercharger control Amplifiers!....who knows what they do!...amplifies the super charger?..ha ha..haven't a clue!

Camera_pit_part_2_(6).jpg

Here they are installed at the back of the camera pit......

Camera_pit_part_2_(7).jpg

The Camera support frame was then built using plastic and wire......

Camera_pit_part_2_(8).jpg

Here is my attempt at scratching the Fairchild K17 camera which was largely used on the B17s......

Camera_pit_part_2_(9).jpg

...and so you can get the scale of it........

Camera_pit_part_2_(a).jpg

camera_pit_part_2_(b).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(c).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(d).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(e).jpg

Now comes the unsure of what's what section!!

On the floor of the camera pit there is a viewfinder aperture....as far as I can make out ,the operator would attach a view finder onto the aperture which was long enough for the operator to just bend forward and look through it whilst sitting in the chair.

This is what I think it looks like from some dodgy photos.........

Camera_pit_part_2_(f).jpg

So then....here are a few photos of the now complete camera pit.......

Camera_pit_part_2_(g).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(h).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(i).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(j).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(k).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(l).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(m).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(n).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(o).jpg

Camera_pit_part_2_(p).jpg

I will leave the camera pit door open so that all this work can be seen.

So that's another section complete and it's now onto the radio room itself starting with the lower section....lots of radios to be built!

As usual thanks a lot for your interest in this build especially to the guys who have followed this for over the past 4-5 years...you will deserve a medal...along side me!!

Cheers for looking in and all the best!

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for your input.....I thought I would show you some photos of a real B17 camera pit.....as you can see ...not a lot of info to go on!!

82458417.jpg

FIGURE-17.jpg

image001.jpg

Hist-06-K17radioinstall.jpg

See what I mean!!

• Like 6

Superb work!

Cheers for the photo of the camera with the Humbrol tin, as that gives us mere viewers a great appreciation of the sizes involved! These larger scale builds really need the occasional size reference to appreciate things.

There is an interesting youtube vid of "how to ditch a B-17" which has been restored from WW2 footage of a training movie. It goes into lots of the compartments to show each crew members' duties, with them ending up near the radio room since the escape hatch and survival gear is nearby. Quite interesting!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hairystick said:

Superb work!

Cheers for the photo of the camera with the Humbrol tin, as that gives us mere viewers a great appreciation of the sizes involved! These larger scale builds really need the occasional size reference to appreciate things.

There is an interesting youtube vid of "how to ditch a B-17" which has been restored from WW2 footage of a training movie. It goes into lots of the compartments to show each crew members' duties, with them ending up near the radio room since the escape hatch and survival gear is nearby. Quite interesting!

Yes I think I have seen that vid!....there are a lot of good vids on the B17 with plenty of information that can be obtained from them....try getting one on the really obscure sections and your luck will run out!!

5 minutes ago, brianthemodeller said:

Just gets better...

... and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching this build so far. Just worried you might stop if we don’t keep encouraging you!!

With the amount of work left on this Brian.....no chance...I'll be dead before this is finished....you'll have to finish it for me mate!

• Haha 1

Thanks a lot everyone!,,,having you guys on board makes a lot of difference to me as it motivates me forward as I really don't know what problems that lie ahead as I continue down the fuselage!

I do know that I am going to have sleepless nights wondering how I am going to display the whole aircraft when its complete!..considering at the start of this project  I was planning to just build the nose section!...now 4-5 years down the line I have built nearly 2 more sections and have another 2 to go!....but I am trying to put the display problem on the back burner and just concentrate on finishing all the other sections for now!!

• Like 2